Should I be worried about my new DJI S800 EVO purchase?

Airhog

Hey Guys, I came here for some advice because I am totally new into this aerial cinematography. I recently ordered a RTF S800 EVO with a zenmuse gimbal for the GH3. However, after searching online, I have came across several bad reviews for the S800 EVO. Now it got me wondering if I made the wrong choice. So I talked to the person who did the review and he said the A2 controller is not stable and he advise me to at least change the controller to the Wookong. Now I'm having second thoughts and maybe see if I can cancel the order, not sure if company will allow it (they're still building it). Not sure what I should do now? Should I follow through with the order or try to go with another copter? Thanks!

Nothing wrong with them as long as you know how to set them up properly a number of companies are using them for commercial work. These don't just fly themselves they require learnt knowledge and skill to operate successfully. I suggest if you have no experience with RC or multirotors then look to get yourself a small quad or hex like the phantom or F550 and learn on those. S800 with gimbal is allot of $$ to have fall out of the sky. People are quick to blame the equipment but majority of the time it is the operators fault.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Couldn't agree more. The EVO is a good aircraft and there are a LOT of people flying these without issue. The A2 controller certainly has had teething issues but those seem to have been dealt with by most accounts.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I think you'll be fine! There's bad reports about everything if you look hard enough. When you get it, spend a few weeks going over every aspect and Googling like crazy until you understand what does what. The shear volume of DJI sales means there's bound to be more bad reports compared to other brands. There's also more good reports too.

Lots of help on the forum! You can ask anything even if you don't know how to ask, we'll work it out!

Airhog

I appreciate your advice guys! Let me ask you one other thing. The store has a Skyjib 8 HL, do you think it worth moving up to this craft vs staying with the S800 EVO? The guy who I talked to said the Octocopter are more stable in flight. The Skyjib is a little more money but I rather spend it now than spend it later. Also, I am in line to purchase the MOVI M5 and the Skyjib 8 could carry it. Either way, I am going to the get phantom to practice on. Thanks!

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Well they both serve different functions really. The EVO packs down really quickly to a good small size. The Skyjib not so much. The Skyjib will carry a heavier load. I think you really need to do an analysis on what it is you wish to achieve and then get the airframe to suit.

Airhog

Thank you Carapau! I was thinking the same thing. For now I need portability so now I know where I'm headed. I will talk to the company about the A2 vs the WKM controller. This is a great board!!

deluge2

Phantom as practice setup for s800 EVO or similar setup

After reading your initial post & follow-up, that was going to be my suggestion. I think the Phantom is a good choice (though there are other options from DJI and elsewhere). The Phantom offers the shortest path to learning basic piloting skills, with the (highly recommended) option to mount the H32D gimbal and GoPro H3(+) to get aerial photo/video experience. And if you take a look at videos shot using the Phantom + Zen H3-2D, I think you'll agree that the quality can be *very* good.

You'll want to spend a little time thinking about Phantom 1 vs. Phantom 2 (non-vision). The advantages of Phantom 1 are lower price and more flexible battery options. These play off against poorer integration of add-on options (not "plug 'n play") and shorter flight times (~50%). The advantages of Phantom 2 are >2x greater battery capacity (3s 5200 mAh for P2 vs. 3s 2200 mAh for P1), much better integration for adding the Zenmuse H3-2D with GoPro, on-screen flight telemetry (iOSDmini or iOSD Mk II) with video downlink of feed from gimbal-mounted GoPro H3(+). With the newly released DJI FPV Hub, cabling for P2 really is pretty much "plug 'n play", whether you choose Gimbal+GoPro only, or choose to add-on wireless video downlink with or without onscreen telemetry.

FWIW, I have both P1 and P2 and I'd recommend the P2. The primary downside is battery cost (P2 battery tech is proprietary DJI, at least for now). However with 2 extra batteries (~$160 ea), you'll have a total of 3 flight batteries with 45 to 60 min or more total flight time, depending on add-ons and flight characteristics. A fully configured P2 is in some respects like a mini s800 EVO, in that you have similar capabilities and similar challenges. Plus getting a 'practice' P2 setup online will expose you to most of the basic technical and practical issues you'll face with a larger hex or octo MR. And with a fully configured P2, you'll have ~$1600 in the air vs. ~$6,500 to $7,500 for the s800 EVO fully loaded.

I also have a partially assembled s800 EVO with A2 and GH3 Z15. These latter items await better weather in the Northeast US for final assembly and flight testing. I went with the A2 in 4Q2013 because I figured I would not be flying until Spring of 2014 and that by then, most of the 'issues' with both the A2 and GH3 Z15 would be settled. Given this, I decided to go with 'future tech' vs. 'past tech', banking on the thought that the theoretical enhancements/advantages of the A2 would be realized (at least to some degree) over time. This appears to be largely the case already with the firmware revisions for the A2 flight controller and receiver and both firmware and hardware revisions for the GH3 Z15.

In addition to considering the Skyjib octo, you might also want to review what's known about the upcoming DJI s1000 octo. It does offer relatively compact folding for transport (not as small as the s800 EVO, of course), with the added stability/reliability of on octo with tubular carbon fiber arms. But it's also new tech, not quite yet released--let alone proven in the field.

Consider getting a high-end transmitter now, for use with both the Phantom and the s800 (or whichever larger MR you decide upon). Folks new to this tech often want to economize on the transmitter, but remember the transmitter will be with you for several to many years, it's really more of a long-term investment. Based on this logic, I went with the Futaba t14SGH, though there are other good options from Futaba and other manufacturers. At the time, I didn't "need" 14-channels, however once the s800 with Z15 came into the picture, I was glad to have as many channels as possible.

Finally, get yourself a good R/C flight simulator to run on your Mac or PC. It allows you to develop and hone basic flight skills any time in any weather. Plus it's a lot less expensive to get most of your crashing done on-screen rather than at the field or on the job.

Steve

PS: Documentation (albeit usually poorly written) is your friend, read it early and often!

I appreciate your advice guys! Let me ask you one other thing... <snip> ...Either way, I am going to the get phantom to practice on. Thanks!

Airhog

Hi Steve, thank you so much for your post and taking the time to write a very detail message. I wished I found this board before I bought but I can't look back now. I originally was going with the phantom 2 to learn but then I thought I could save some money by jumping to a bigger craft knowing that is where I wanted to end up at. So I'm back to square one but I'll have the S800 too, but I'll feel much better flying the phantom right out of the box. I did indeed go with the Futuba 14SG for the pilot and the Futuba 8FG for the camera operator. Anyway, I'm so excited about getting into this aerial arena and it's going to be so fun to see everything in a different perspective!

hexa

If money is there dump the s800 and get a well built sky Jib with wkm or naza v2. S800 is pot luck they will fly good for a few weeks and then fall from the sky break your heart body and soul.

For serious no error work get a copter which has all the power lines electronics all soldered. No flaky klippy arms like the s800 and evo

Airhog

Hexa, that has seriously been on my mind....i might do it. Some says no problem but others say otherwise, the point is having this conversation doesn't bode well for one's confident going forward.

I am so jealous. I am building an F550 with heavy lifting kit. If I had the money I would be all over the S800 Evo ...
( I just recently built a TREX 800 pro DFC as well )
Good luck with it. That is an amazing and beautiful bird !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Airhog

Thanks Giovanni68! The more I have read about the S800 EVO, the more comfortable I am with it. I have decided to stick with the craft and added some modifications like the Secraft stiffners to the arms, and the TM props. Can't wait till it warms up in the East to start training but I have to agree with you, it is a beautiful bird!

Matto822

Thanks Giovanni68! The more I have read about the S800 EVO, the more comfortable I am with it. I have decided to stick with the craft and added some modifications like the Secraft stiffners to the arms, and the TM props. Can't wait till it warms up in the East to start training but I have to agree with you, it is a beautiful bird!

You will not regret it. I was in the same situation as yourself when I was purchasing a new hexa. I went with the s800 and I couldnt be more happy. Remember to take your time when you set it up. Do a little bit each day if you have to and do not rush through it. I have the GH3 as well and I can honestly say it is by far one of if not the best gimbal on the market. I can fly in 20 mph winds without a single shake on screen. As far as the A2 goes it is great! The reason there is an A2 is to correct the problems with the WKM. To really make the A2 fly well and hold its GPS hold well you will want to setup the gains to dial knobs on the top if you are using a futaba remote which i highly recommend. Remember only bad reviews make it to the internet no one talks about the good ones. There are many commercial companies using this exact setup everyday. Just read up and watch as many videos as you can. I highly recommend following all of the tutorial videos on DJI's site as well. If you want reliability as well run two separate batteries. Good Luck!

Airhog

Thank you Matto822 for leaving your positive experience! It sounds like I will have the same setup as you and I sure hope my experiences will be just as good. I am feeling pretty confident in my purchase now after reading through hundreds of forums messages and talking with the company building my craft. Thank you also for your tips, which I have added it to my long list of tips from all other forum members!

Airhog

Hi all, I just wanted to update my status. I ended up buying a phantom 2 go pro version and flew it for the first time this past weekend. It was amazing and I'm really impressed with the phantom 2! I would like to slowly build up my flying skills before flying the S800 EVO, but I've been studying the craft for the last two weeks on the ground but it's nothing like getting out and just doing it...like with the phantom.

cootertwo

Airhog, ain't this some interesting stuff! I now own 8 multicopters! Nothing as big as the S800. I have 2 Phantoms. One is the early version, and one is ver 1.1.1 I have the newer version, setup for FPV, and have a ball flying around my one acre, with 40/50 odd BIG trees. I can sit on my back deck, and fly all around my home, in GPS mode, at about 3 or 4 feet altitude. Very cool, I think. I have a gimble ordered for the other Phantom. My hex 550 is also pretty neat, with a NAZA lite controller. Very stable, but still needs fine tuning, which takes a lot of practice, and patience, sort of trial and error thing. My T580+ with 14" props is pretty neat too. I got it, just to see what the difference is between small fast motors/props, and Big slow motors/props. It has a multiwii of sorts, no GPS. Yup, I'm hooked, for sure. Good luck with your build, and have a blast with the Phantom. Prop guards are prop savers, and if you use the string, it helps from getting stuck in bushes/trees, etc.:nevreness:

Airhog

Yes cootertwo, it's totally awesome!! Even my 10 year old was itching to try out the phantom and I handed over the remote and he did very well, even did some very smooth landing! I got some nice video clips but it's amazing the endless things that can be accomplish with it. I met a guy through our local meetup for drones and he taught me a lot! Hopefully one day I can pass along the goodwill.

I know what you mean about owning 8 multicopters! Nothing like getting hooked and expanding your horizon. And these craft will only get better! I'm thinking that cameras will continue to get smaller and better and these craft will too. I'm thinking one day my S800 will look like when I first bought my monstrous PC for $2800...it'll be a head scratcher. Now I do wish I lived on a farm...lucky you. :)

Airhog, ain't this some interesting stuff! I now own 8 multicopters! Nothing as big as the S800. I have 2 Phantoms. One is the early version, and one is ver 1.1.1 I have the newer version, setup for FPV, and have a ball flying around my one acre, with 40/50 odd BIG trees. I can sit on my back deck, and fly all around my home, in GPS mode, at about 3 or 4 feet altitude. Very cool, I think. I have a gimble ordered for the other Phantom. My hex 550 is also pretty neat, with a NAZA lite controller. Very stable, but still needs fine tuning, which takes a lot of practice, and patience, sort of trial and error thing. My T580+ with 14" props is pretty neat too. I got it, just to see what the difference is between small fast motors/props, and Big slow motors/props. It has a multiwii of sorts, no GPS. Yup, I'm hooked, for sure. Good luck with your build, and have a blast with the Phantom. Prop guards are prop savers, and if you use the string, it helps from getting stuck in bushes/trees, etc.:nevreness: