Setting the throttle min/max on a hex ?

Sorry, but yet another possibly dumb question, but one that is giving me endless grief right now...

I have a set of almost identical (but not quite the same) Hobbywing 40 ESC's feeding 4 identical motors and 2 different but same spec motors ( I know it ain't ideal, but I just wanna get this monster setup and basically flyable then I will balance the 2 motors with exact copies of the others etc.).

I have tried disconnecting all motors from the NAZA unit, and then moving the throttle lead on my RX to a different position and setting each ESC individually by plugging it in to the throttle output of the Rx.

As soon as I plug them all back into the NAZA, they simply all go into SETUP mode again ?

I have also tried by plugging them all in, but one by one at a time to the NAZA unit, but again, once they are plugged in, some are still going into setup mode ?

Throttle in Assistant looks just fine, and I get normal NAZA color codes when I arm the aircraft and switch between GPS, ATTI and Manual. However the CSC does not work because they (the ESC's) are not all initializing.

Getting really p...zz...d by this right now :-((

Anyone got a foolproof way to achieve this seemingly simple task.
Cheers
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
And this is why we use the DJI OPTOs, plug and play!

It sounds like a throttle trim thing. The ESCs are seeing high throttle even though the NAZA sees low throttle. Not sure how to fix it to be honest.

Hi Ben
I understand (per se) the reason for using Optos, but it doesn't change the fact that they have to be initialized, but my real question is, how does everyone else do just that for 6 motors.

Assistant is showing the throttle is working in the correct direction, and is centered at mid lever setting. I come from a heli background, where the throttle trim is ALWAYS set to minimum, not centered as with acros. Should it perhaps be centered for naza ?? I have no subtrims on anything useful.

** UPDATE **

I just answered my own question, or I suspect I almost have.....

I reset my radio throttle trims to fully down on all three modes (I use my Fmode switch to switch NAZA modes) and then powered it up. After several attempts, dropping the throttle at different times, I got total silence from all the ESC's onboard the hex !!!!

I am pretty sure that the reasons for the different timings are because I do have a mix of what appear to be hobbywing 40A Pentium ESC's on board, so they all want the throttle dropped at a different time, but it seems that now I just need to get a full set of matching ESC's and it will back to how it should be - Wheeeee

Best of all, I just hovered it in ATTI mode, and it was pretty stable. I even played a bit with the gain settings to see what was most stable while flying inside my hangar (large double garage). It seems fine right now.

So thanks for your feedback, but maybe this does illustrate that we need to ensure everyone knows that throttle trims should be FULLY down for setting up ESC's with NAZA, despite the fact we are (mostly) using ACRO setups.
Cheers
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:

Ain't that just the truth though Ben ! I am really glad that it is in the air - finally, and am just popping on 4 spare DJI Opto ESC's I have lying around from my original 450. Hopefully they will give me a much cleaner initialization.

Thanks again for you help - much appreciated. :)
Ian