Welcome To DroneVibes

DroneVibes is a COMMUNITY of drones enthusiasts. We are experts at drones for all professional and consumer applications. We welcome you to register and join the conversation.

Need Help! Sensor integration for DIY drone

Discussion in 'Beginners Drone Forum' started by duck, Dec 17, 2020.

1. duck

duck New Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Netherlands
    Posted by duck, Dec 17, 2020 #1
    I'm looking at building a drone myself as a hobby project. Instead of using a ready-made package such as MultiWii for sensor integration, I think it would be the most fun to do this myself. With some programming knowledge and an old Android phone with a gyroscope and accelerometer, I went to work to see how far I can get with this.

I have now reached the point that I can determine the absolute rotation on the basis of the gyroscope (not super accurate) and based on the output of the accelerometer I can determine which of the four corners (where the propellers will be - I'm thinking about a quadcopter) is hanging down so I can upscale the voltage to this propeller until the unit flies straight again.

Now my question to you experts is what else is involved in sensor integration. Can I compare the readings from the gyroscope and accelerometer to make the result more accurate? What is the function of the gyroscope at all if I can also calculate the absolute rotation from the readings of the accelerometer? Are there any other sensors used to keep the drone stable? Am I better off simply using MultiWii?

Tags: