Seeking opinions on first FPV 'toy' copter

ProfEngr

I've been reading reviews, checking specs, and watching youtube for the last 3wks and have been waffling between the Hubsan 107D and the JJRC H11D. I'm almost sold by the hype, what little info I found so far, on the JJRC offering. Does anyone know of any glaring issues with the H11D? It's touted as being more resistant to winds than the Hubsan. My area usually has a slight breeze. TIA.

ProfEngr

Ok, so the reviews have started hitting youtube. Results: dismal range, marginal flight times, 4-6sec before motors stop after signal loss.

Guess JJRC will have to lick their calf over before I consider that model. What a disappointment.

I might just try to built a HK 250 w/ prop guards and start there.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
what is it that you're trying to accomplish?

fun? spend $20 at banggood.com and race around the lampshades in the living room
or spend the $70 or so that it costs to buy an Ominus from Hobbico (www.towerhobbies.com) and get the basics of control down pat before trying to maiden that first build we've talked you into trying!

Bartman

just came across this in my inbox
it's BNF though so you'll need a Spektrum compatible transmitter unless you buy the RTF version

ProfEngr

Yeah, it's not easy to put my finger on it. I need to develop muscle-memory, but also want to get a feel for fpv before I decide to jump on a non-toy build. Without going through half a dozen diff models to get there. Thought the H11D would be a good fit to let me practice inside and do gutter inspection around my house as well.

ProfEngr

just came across this in my inbox
it's BNF though so you'll need a Spektrum compatible transmitter unless you buy the RTF version

missed the link in that post. Is there much lag in the ominus since the fpv is wifi? I'd like to be able to do BLOS in the house.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

i don't think the FPV version is real time but it is very close from what i've heard. i don't know what the range is inside a house, sorry!

ProfEngr

i don't think the FPV version is real time but it is very close from what i've heard. i don't know what the range is inside a house, sorry!

It's only 1200 sq ft w/ a basement so linear distance shouldn't be an issue. At some point in the future I'd like to be able to just open the front door and zoom around the yard/house from the recliner. :) That would definitely be safer than getting on the ladder to check the gutters before or the roof after a storm. More fun too I'm sure.

What I've been able to gather is that wifi FPV is several msec laggy and gets worse with distance/interference. 5.8G is the only way to get a real-time feed. It's still a few weeks til Christmas so I have time to do more research. Could you link me that BNF mentioned earlier? Never saw the link in the post. From the look of the prices I've seen around, it appears I need to stick with wifi FPV as the 5.8G FPV units are close to the prices of brushless kits. If I went 5.8 I'd be better off going with a low-moderate build racer.

Thanks for the input, Bart. Still planning a 'radio' session tonight?