Safety

Stacky

Recently I was involved with a Mountain Dew tv commercial and because of my inexperience and also the fact Im so new to RC etc when asked to fly over people I said no. The big fear I had was either losing control of my Hexa and hitting someone or some sort of failure with the hexa and it hitting someone. I have insurance so I had no concerns about cover etc but the thought of injuring someone is something I really didnt like.
In the short 5 months I have been flying and building I have only had 2 mechanical/electronic problems, one was my bad soldering on a bullet connector (everything is now hard wired) and the other issue was fixed with a new firmware flashing. Apart from that any crashes I have had have been down to my errors rather than my craft having reliability issues.
Ive done a lot of hours flying, I fly every day and maintain my Hexa frequently so Im becoming more confident in the reliability of these machines if looked after. The biggest failure point that I can work out so far is pilot related issues. However there is always a chance that a craft could have a problem.
I follow other peoples videos on youtube and vimeo closely as I want to one day emulate the amazing work of Jeff Scholl, Andre Kolom and others. I came across this video this morning http://www.vimeo.com/groups/mikrokopter/videos/24992791 and was amazed that the pilot would fly overhead with a gopro with the wide angle lens onboard. I used the gopro on the MD commercial and know just how close he must have been to the crowd.
With highly experienced pilots and confidence in their craft is this sort of footage reasonable?. What sorts of safety precautions do people take when flying near people?

http://www.vimeo.com/groups/mikrokopter/videos/24992791

jes1111

I agree that there are an awful lot of irresponsible operators. Taking someone's eye out with a spinning blade is not in any way compensated for by insurance. There are two simple protections for this and yet I rarely see one and have never seen the other.

Firstly, a simple lightweight cage surrounding the props - CF rods with kite connectors, or a more "manufactured" solution with lightweight mesh screens supported from the arms.

Secondly (more as an ancillary to the first), something I've never seen but I'm sure it would "work": folding blades (like those of an RC single-rotor helicopter).

jes1111

Funny - you chose two examples that utilise what I believe to be the most heavily compromised solutions. The CyberQuad is probably a handful in windy conditions and it's payload capability is highly limited (in weight and position). The FlightVision must also suffer in wind. In both cases I'd have my doubts that there is any net gain in efficiency from the "ducting", considering the extra weight and drag.

I'd say these two are better choices:

View attachment 413View attachment 412

Attachments

• air-robot.jpg
    air-robot.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Produit_Inspection_Indus.jpg
    Produit_Inspection_Indus.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 126