S900 will not arm

mrswish

This is my first post so please forgive me if I screw it all up. I have a built a DJI S900 with an A2 control system. I am using A DX9 Radio also, a no,no?? I ordered a Futaba 14 SGH last night. Maybe that will help but why won't it work with my DX9? Everything seems to be ok but it is not ok. The motors each test ok but will not arm and fly. I am familiar with the Wookong control system that I built with another craft so I have an idea on how it should be working. Any great ideas as to why or what I have wrong? Any help would be great. Thanks. Gary

Ronan

Good choice with the 14SG a much better remote. The A2 manual will answer any problem you would be having... but here goes:

Since you are using a DX9 you have to use a separate receiver since it won't have a FASST system to bind to the A2 directly.

If you did install a separate receiver, then you need to make sure to use the appropriate radio option in the A2 menu.

Another problem (if both above are done properly) is that you did not do properly one of the following:
Compass calibration wasn't done properly (or even the advance one).
Radio calibration wasn't done properly.
Assigning of the radio controls wasn't done properly (what dictates what controls the sticks do).
Problem with a battery or battery setup.

Could be a few other things too...

mrswish

I have done all you have mention. Compass was done correct, radio has bound to the A2, the stick controls calibrate in the assistant correct, I am using new 6S batteries with full charge all to no avail. Thanks for suggestions. Gary

Ronan

I have done all you have mention. Compass was done correct, radio has bound to the A2, the stick controls calibrate in the assistant correct, I am using new 6S batteries with full charge all to no avail. Thanks for suggestions. Gary

How do you bound a DX9 to the A2? Only FASST remote can do that like the 14SG. When using a FASST radio you need to have the A2 set to DR16 and the 14SG to FASST-MULTI (in system option/menu).

Explain to me how you did that + what settings you have the A2 (and remote) in.

Lastly, did you make sure the proper settings were put in the A2 assistant software. Out of the 3 S900 we run, one required a different selection (one had to be set in reverse) and it worked fine (before that it would not arm). I'm talking about the AETRU basic channels. If they aren't assigned properly, the S900 won't arm.

Last edited by a moderator:

PMaughan

This is my first post so please forgive me if I screw it all up. I have a built a DJI S900 with an A2 control system. I am using A DX9 Radio also, a no,no?? I ordered a Futaba 14 SGH last night. Maybe that will help but why won't it work with my DX9? Everything seems to be ok but it is not ok. The motors each test ok but will not arm and fly. I am familiar with the Wookong control system that I built with another craft so I have an idea on how it should be working. Any great ideas as to why or what I have wrong? Any help would be great. Thanks. Gary

Double check that one of the channels isn't reversed, I usually have to reverse the aileron on a new setup with a dx8 to get the system to arm.

mrswish

I have two DSM2 sat receivers plugged into the a2 and selected in the assistant. There are instruction for binding DSM2 SAT to the A2 that was done by the book and the A2 and the sat receivers all show as being bound. The basic channels idea is a good one and I will check that one out. Is there one channel in peculiar that must be one way or another? They think are set up as if it were in an airplane.

Ronan

I have two DSM2 sat receivers plugged into the a2 and selected in the assistant. There are instruction for binding DSM2 SAT to the A2 that was done by the book and the A2 and the sat receivers all show as being bound. The basic channels idea is a good one and I will check that one out. Is there one channel in peculiar that must be one way or another? They think are set up as if it were in an airplane.

Make sure your remote is in airplane mode. Honestly it depends. I have watched a LOT of video's and it seems sometime it's one channel and the other it's another that needs to be reversed to work properly.

If it's not setup properly the A2 will not arm. Nifty feature that stops you from damaging your craft!

Cbergen

Bah, heli mode works just as well, but you lose aux 1 as a usable channel.. :)

An easy way to tell if your channels are moving in the right directions, if you move BOTH sticks down and left, all 4 sliders should move left....

Ronan

Bah, heli mode works just as well, but you lose aux 1 as a usable channel.. :)

An easy way to tell if your channels are moving in the right directions, if you move BOTH sticks down and left, all 4 sliders should move left....

The reason you fly in airplane mode:
Get proper channels working.
No preset mix that are useless on a multirotor.
Proper layout on the LCD screen.
Proper timer (mine simply works on my 14SG in airplane mode, in heli it doesn't auto activate on throttle up).

So in recap, you want a heli radio (smooth throttle), set to airplane mode. No headaches or mixes, it just works after a simple/basic calibration.

Some people swear on heli mode... Yet I haven't found any advantages to it, nor has anyone I know that fly large rigs like myself. Maybe for the throttle curve... But I can set that in airplane mode too.

Cbergen

The reason you fly in airplane mode:
Get proper channels working.
No preset mix that are useless on a multirotor.
Proper layout on the LCD screen.
Proper timer (mine simply works on my 14SG in airplane mode, in heli it doesn't auto activate on throttle up).

So in recap, you want a heli radio (smooth throttle), set to airplane mode. No headaches or mixes, it just works after a simple/basic calibration.

Some people swear on heli mode... Yet I haven't found any advantages to it, nor has anyone I know that fly large rigs like myself. Maybe for the throttle curve... But I can set that in airplane mode too.

None of which has anything to do with the OP's issue. Also none of which have anything to do with how the aircraft flies. I'm simply pointing out that helicopter mode is certainly capable of operating the aircraft, with given cons.

proper channels working? Using JR 12x and JR 9503 radios I've never had an issue getting proper channels working, I see no difference here in air vs heli mode.

preset mix that is useless in a multirotor? As I alluded to, you DO lose the ability to use the Aux 1 channel to program for some other function. With a minimal radio (6 or 7 channel), this could be a deal breaker.

proper layout on LCD Screen? Not sure how this is a factor, may be specific to YOUR radio, mine all look the same regardless of mode.

proper timer? Again may be radio specific, the JR radio can be setup for throttle up turns timer on. In either mode....

In most cases, I agree airplane mode is better due to the aux 1 issue. Otherwise, no difference. I would like to take a peek at the new "multirotor" programming in the new Futaba Radios, looking at getting a 14 SG myself!

BTW, I have a couple of large rigs myself... :)

Ronan

None of which has anything to do with the OP's issue. Also none of which have anything to do with how the aircraft flies. I'm simply pointing out that helicopter mode is certainly capable of operating the aircraft, with given cons.

proper channels working? Using JR 12x and JR 9503 radios I've never had an issue getting proper channels working, I see no difference here in air vs heli mode.

preset mix that is useless in a multirotor? As I alluded to, you DO lose the ability to use the Aux 1 channel to program for some other function. With a minimal radio (6 or 7 channel), this could be a deal breaker.

proper layout on LCD Screen? Not sure how this is a factor, may be specific to YOUR radio, mine all look the same regardless of mode.

proper timer? Again may be radio specific, the JR radio can be setup for throttle up turns timer on. In either mode....

In most cases, I agree airplane mode is better due to the aux 1 issue. Otherwise, no difference. I would like to take a peek at the new "multirotor" programming in the new Futaba Radios, looking at getting a 14 SG myself!

BTW, I have a couple of large rigs myself... :)

You can refer to any of my previous responses for OP's issues and my suggestions.

I am not sure what your post is trying to convey, i already stated most users prefer to use airplane mode and also why. Also what works better on a 14SG (which i own, in triplicate, so talking from personal experience)... which is what the OP is receiving soon.

You yourself stated you don't own a 14SG... you also said airplane mode works better and why, unless i misunderstood something?

So... not getting your point? Maybe the cold is finally getting to me... (Central heater died... repairman is lost in the void...) :)

mrswish

Thanks to ALL. I have a hard time believing it but my Elevator control was reversed. "Cbergen" who suggested down and left was not new to me but I had not tied it before. When I did this morning the problem jumped out at me like a sore thumb. After changing it all the motors started. Thanks again "Cbergen" and all others with suggestions. Another side note, I ordered the Futaba 14 channel from Calif. 11/1/14 at about 10:30 P.M. CDT my time and it out for delivery in Zion, Il now. Some times the USPS is amazing. Got the Futaba 14SGH for $544.94 shipped to my front door.

Cbergen

Excellent! Glad that helped. As Ronan pointed out, sometimes it's the easy things that we miss.

Sorry Ronan, just pointing out that heli Mode WILL work, will fly the aircraft just fine, with the ONLY inconvenience of losing aux 1. Just want people to be aware that heli mode is not going to cause a crash, flyaway, or any other catastrophic issues. From a troubleshooting standpoint, it's irrelevant.

keep up the good work!

Ronan

Excellent! Glad that helped. As Ronan pointed out, sometimes it's the easy things that we miss.

Sorry Ronan, just pointing out that heli Mode WILL work, will fly the aircraft just fine, with the ONLY inconvenience of losing aux 1. Just want people to be aware that heli mode is not going to cause a crash, flyaway, or any other catastrophic issues. From a troubleshooting standpoint, it's irrelevant.

keep up the good work!

Ah ok, got it.

Yeah heli mode won't cause a crash, but having it in heli mode and not setting it up properly will cause it not to arm though (that's what i was getting it at). On the 14SG you have to do something to make it work properly (forgot what it was, i just stuck to airplane mode, much easier to setup, takes 30 seconds).

Cbergen

Being in airplane mode and not setup properly will also cause issues... And?

Not sure how to make it more plain, in heli mode or airplane mode, ail, ele, yaw, and throttle, all work EXACTLY the same. If you can have a wrong setup in heli mode, you can ALSO have a wrong setup in airplane mode.

The ONLY difference is the aux1 channel. In heli mode it's tied to the throttle stick for collective use. Period, that's it. All other functions are the same.

Now you may have different names in airplane mode, like "flap" (do we use that in multirotors?) or snap roll (I hope to not use that in a multirotor... :) ), but they are simply channel assignments in a receiver.

In the collective quad that I'm building I AM using heli mode, so I can utilize the pitch curve that it makes accessible. All the other functions work exactly the same. The autopilot certainly doesn't care... :)

Ronan

heli mode doesn't work that well on the 14SG for which ever reason it's more a pain to setup (some users even say never to use it).

So yeah... airplane mode works better, especially since OP got a 14SG (congrats OP!).

cabojay

Well we went thru it today and then took it out for the first flight, I was a little nervous but we got it up and flying in 15 mph winds it held well and mrswish then took controls and flew it and it fly's very good needs a little gain adj but will try that after the winds die down. Thanks again for all the help I told him to join here and ask some questions and it worked! Thanks guys.. Jay

Ronan

145/145/150 for Basic and 135/135/140 for ATTI

That's a good start point if carrying a Zen + Camera.

mrswish

You guys have been so much help I want to keep picking your minds. I am using two - 6S 6000ma batteries for a power supply. What would you suggest setting in the assistant for the First and Second Level voltage Protection? As my friend said it flys. To bad it is now winter and the best days are gone. But we can still have some fun. Got to go watch the Illinois Gov race for a while.