S900 complete shopping list?

allbread

Hi all -

I've been flying RC planes and heli's for quite some time and into photography and video for a long time but this is my first time putting them together. I have a Phantom 2 Vision + which is a fun set up and was convenient how ready to fly it was out of the box but didn't require me to learn how to put together an actual FPV set up.

I have a GH4 camera and am already looking at the S900/A2/GH4 combo for my next bird and I'm hoping that some of you might be willing to save me a lot of time searching and let me know what else I'm going to need to get this puppy in the air. I have a JR 11x 2.4 radio and plenty of receivers which I'm hoping I can use somewhere and I know that I'll need some 6s 15,000mah batteries to fly it with (does the C rating matter much? I imagine that it can pull some amps if you want to gain a lot of elevation quickly and I've found that the higher C rated batteries tend to last longer but add some extra weight). I do own a half dozen 6s 5000mah batteries which would be great to use if there was a way to distribute their weight evenly.

So, I'd be grateful if someone were to give me a complete ready to go shopping list both in general terms (meaning not brand or item specific as I'm sure there's lots of debate about any and every particular item) and then recommendations for common, bullet proof set ups.

Thanks for you help, it will be awhile before I'm able to pull the trigger but I want to know before I do how much I'm really committing to money wise!

Ryan

P.S. I'm sure this topic has been covered many time and I did do a search and didn't find a simple "here's what you're going to need" list but if you know where it's already spelled out for beginner's then a link would be greatly appreciated.

allbread

OK - just found some more info from a site offering a ready to fly package. Looks like an IOSd Mark II and an AMP Pro (or similar) FPV kit should be on the list.

I see the Futaba 2.4Ghz radios recommended often - is there a reason for the high preference in Futaba vs my existing JR?

jfro

Aerial Fun
OK - just found some more info from a site offering a ready to fly package. Looks like an IOSd Mark II and an AMP Pro (or similar) FPV kit should be on the list.

I see the Futaba 2.4Ghz radios recommended often - is there a reason for the high preference in Futaba vs my existing JR?

My main comment would be to think through the gimbal part. From what I read on line, there are many that are happy with the gimbal from DJI. However, there is also many that talk about the pros and cons of buying a gimbal that only fits one camera.

I'm a camera guy and change camera's frequently, so the DJI gimbal would never work for me unless I was very rich. I've been in the sport less than 2 years and have flown 4 different cameras. In DJI terms, that would be about 10 grand.

For around $800 to $1,400 you can get a decent gimbal combo that will carry Canon 5d and down size camera's. I'd take a look at the new Centerpiece controller $400 and some of the 5d or smaller gimbals out there. DYS makes a 5d gimbal that is marketed under many different names. For $800 you can get something like this
http://www.rangevideo.com/dys-eagle...bal-with-3-axis-32-bit-alexmoscontroller.html
and use the 32bit alex mos controller. Some get great results. It's a very simple task to put the center piece on this. This comes with 60mm motors instead of 52mm motors that many use. I fly one on a Naza v2 on an x8 and get great footage.

I use Futaba 8fg with 4 different flight controllers and it's a breeze to set up. Their 14??? is also a favorite of many pros. Lots of internet help, plus lots of youtube videos showing you how. SBUS 1 cable connection is very nice.

I'd check the forums on the batteries. Lots of different opinions on those. I use Nanotech 8000 6s on my x8 and am very happy with them. I baby them more than I did my first 5000mah 4's, so I''m expecting longer life out of these.

18 months ago I bought the Immersion RC 5.8Ghz Audio/Video Transmitter - FatShark compatible (600mw) RX that many recommended. I don't use goggles because I fly line of sight and only use the on board camera for filming, so just use the video out signal to frame shots. I use the Black Pearl Diversity LCD that comes with 2 antennas. There are many small hdmi to composite converters for under $50 that you can use with the GH4 and don't need external power. While these monitors are inexpensive, if you ever use the HDMI input, it's not a bad up converted signal. Certainly, not like a pro monitor, but very usable.

This takes a little more work on your part, but not a bad way of going. The only downside to what I've suggested, a couple parts for the gimal I"m using aren't readily available if I break one. Talked to one dealer in U.S. that said he was working on getting some parts in stock. But, that's not a whole lot different than what I've read about getting parts for some DJI gimbals, but again, I have no experience with anything DJI except for the Naza FC.

Good luck. Looks like the S900 is a nice unit...

allbread

Thanks a ton - you bring up some great points about the Gimbal - no reason to trap myself to one camera if I don't have to. I generally get a good 8-10 years out of a camera and just bought the GH4 (keeping my Nikon D7100) but I do have a lot of friends that do pro video and use the 5D and it would be nice to be able to shoot on their if they prefer.

I'll look into the Immersion transmitter powered by the GH4.

Ryan

Allbread. You will love the 900 its a great rig. A futaba will directly communicate with the a2 system without an additional receiver like you would need with your JR. Its nice and simple to setup. And yes, the C rating is something to pay attention to. If you go with the iosd mark 2 and a DJI zenmuse the setup is pretty plug and play, which you might find is nice fro your first multi rotor . I run the GH4 and have been loving it, half the weight of the 5d and they say the 5d is too heavy for the s900, but either way the 4k is great to work with as you have tons of room to zoom in and color correct.

Good luck!

Ronan

I wouldn't put a 5D on a S900... It's not meant to carry it + the weight of the gimbal for it.

If you want to shoot with a 5D then get a S1000+

Your GH4 will get most of the work you want done, get it a Z15-GH4 (HD) gimbal for easy of usability. If you want to use other camera's in the GH4 size, or simply other lenses, then you need a InfinityM with a CP controller. Probably another guy to control the gimbal too (unless you are ok with basic start/stop, pan and tilt).

allbread

Thanks again, all. I think that I've come up with my list.

I already have the GH4 and happened to pick the same Olympus lens that's recommended for the Zenmuse (great lens, great camera, loving both!).

So, I'm going to keep it as simply as can be and get the S900+A2+Zenmuse Z15-GH4 combo and a IOSd MII and AMP Pro.

I'll do some research on using my JR vs the Futaba - I have plenty of receivers so if it's just a matter of using one vs not then I'll keep my JR (all my other planes and helis are on it so switching to Futaba would cause hassle and expense elsewhere).

I'll research the battery choices but I'll go with whatever balances and fits the best.

I like the idea of the turnkey, tried and true package - I know it has it's limitations but I feel more comfortable going that route as I learn more about multicopter shooting. There will always be new technology and cameras but I think that this set up will last me a long time. I'm a recording engineer for a living and have witnessed way too many musicians obsessing over gear and wanting things to sound as good as possible when the chorus of the song still sucks! I'll just take the same approach - if I want to improve my results down the road then I'll just get more creative with my shooting!

jfro

Aerial Fun
Thanks again, all. I think that I've come up with my list.

I already have the GH4 and happened to pick the same Olympus lens that's recommended for the Zenmuse (great lens, great camera, loving both!).

So, I'm going to keep it as simply as can be and get the S900+A2+Zenmuse Z15-GH4 combo and a IOSd MII and AMP Pro.

I'll do some research on using my JR vs the Futaba - I have plenty of receivers so if it's just a matter of using one vs not then I'll keep my JR (all my other planes and helis are on it so switching to Futaba would cause hassle and expense elsewhere).

I'll research the battery choices but I'll go with whatever balances and fits the best.

I like the idea of the turnkey, tried and true package - I know it has it's limitations but I feel more comfortable going that route as I learn more about multicopter shooting. There will always be new technology and cameras but I think that this set up will last me a long time. I'm a recording engineer for a living and have witnessed way too many musicians obsessing over gear and wanting things to sound as good as possible when the chorus of the song still sucks! I'll just take the same approach - if I want to improve my results down the road then I'll just get more creative with my shooting!

Your approach is solid and sounds like the right choice for you. Have fun!