S800, WooKong, Cinestar Gimbal

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Hi,

Pretty sure I'm getting the DJI S800 and wondering about putting the Cinestar 2 axis on it. Anyone know if that will work with the WooKong? Will the stock landing gear work or do I need to trick things out?

Looking to do some heavy lifting and thought the DJI S800 might be a good unit to try.

Thanks

ChrisViperM

The S800 + WooKong M + Zenmuse gimbal would be a perfect combination.....IF you can life with the costs and the camera restrictions....The S800 is known for serious vibrations which doesn't matter when using the Zenmuse gimbal, but any other gimbal would give you just tons of headache. The crux is not only the gimbal itself, but you also need a gimbal controller (forget the built-in controller from the WooKong). With the Zenmuse the gimbal + gimbal controller is one unit, while with the Cinestar 2-Axis gimbal you also need an extra gimbal controller, and any aftermarket gimbal controller(Radian, Piclock, Hoverfly etc...) would simply not cope with the vibrations of the S800.....you could try to reduce vibrations by using different props, fine-balancing the props and reinforcing the arms of the S800...but you are taking the risk to invest some serious money just to find out it might work or not. The only advantage of the S800 is it's ability to disassemble it fore traveling and the fact that it's working perfectly in the mentioned combination (S800 + WooKong M + Zenmuse)...like it or not, but the Zenmuse is at the moment state of the art....but not very cheap

If you are looking for the possibility to dissasemble/fold the copter AND want to be more flexible with the brand and weight of your camera AND want the Cinestar 2-axis gimbal you should really have a closer look at the Droidworx product range:

http://droidworx.co.nz/

Top product, top service and widely avalible.....

Chris

srbell

I'm in the same situation. I've got a S800 with retracts. I was hoping to use the Cinestar 3 axis gimbal with the Radian stabilization system less the Cinestar's landing gear. Quadrocopter said they're make an adapter plate so I was hoping it would work. I currently use a NEX, but don't really like the idea of being locked into a single camera body. I'd like to shoot with a Black Magic cine body as well. Pretty heavy unit though, I know I'll eventually be looking at a Cinestar 8. But for now I'd like to stop spending so much money lol! Anyone else tried the Radian Cinestar with the S800 and had any success?

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Interesting. Something to think about.

I know the Zenmuse is the way to go, but I would like to same some money by either going with the Cinestar gimbal or the droiworks gimbal. I didn't know that there were such issues.

srbell

Interesting. Something to think about.

I know the Zenmuse is the way to go, but I would like to same some money by either going with the Cinestar gimbal or the droiworks gimbal. I didn't know that there were such issues.

I didn't realize the difference between stepper motors vs servos either. The other option was originally called the Photohigher Hero which has been changed to the helo (I think). Same idea as the Z15, but lighter and more camera options. While I was impatiently waiting for it's release I was given an idea on price... Way more than the DJI Z15. So that kinda kills the Photohigher gimbal. Wish Photohigher would compete on price or DJI would make a universal camera mount. Can't wait forever though, I'll problably just buy the Z15 today and be done with it.

srbell

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a Z15 from Robert along with some cool tx tray/accessories. I'm going to use the NEX7 and retire my 5n for family pictures.

Kari

Not really sure if S800 is best option to carry cs gimbal and heavier camera like bm though, for example Vulcan uav is much cheaper and way more rigid, and i would go for octo if planning to carry BM. Not really big fan of flexible plastic arms. I understand fancy looking of S800 but imo that's not the point.

Convoco.org

Not really sure if S800 is best option to carry cs gimbal and heavier camera like bm though, for example Vulcan uav is much cheaper and way more rigid, and i would go for octo if planning to carry BM. Not really big fan of flexible plastic arms. I understand fancy looking of S800 but imo that's not the point.

Let's say on the Vulcan UAV Octo frame, With the hoverfly pro controller, what motor power-propeller size would be best and ESC? Thank you!

Kari

Let's say on the Vulcan UAV Octo frame, With the hoverfly pro controller, what motor power-propeller size would be best and ESC? Thank you!

It all depends what you're going to lift with it and how much auw will be. T-motors 2814 for smaller payloads and for example 3515 for bigger payloads have been proven to be a great motors. You can play with ecalc to find out what will be most optimal for your payloads:
http://ecalc.ch/

eyeball

In relation to the original post,
I have run a CS Gimbal on my S800 along with a Radian to keep things level. I was carrying a Canon 500 with a 11-16 Lens and it worked rather well, I think my biggest issue was the actual balance of the S800's props as this was evident on the video play back. Im now using my zenmuse with an nex5 so that kind of sorts everything out. Though Im going to try my AV200 on the S800 next to compare with the CS but i'll also have to sort the prop tracking/vibration issues out first. From an asthetics point of view, I really likes the CS Gimbal as its a simple design and its carbon blended in with the S800's legs

srbell

I'd be really interested to hear any info you get from testing the blades tracking. Just looking at these props makes me wonder the same thing. I'm still waiting for a new WKm and a radio link, so it's be a week or so before I can slap some coloured tape on the blade and check it out. Personally I have a Zenmuse with a Nex7, but I like the idea of being able to swap in a CS gimbal when I want to shoot larger formats.

In relation to the original post,
I have run a CS Gimbal on my S800 along with a Radian to keep things level. I was carrying a Canon 500 with a 11-16 Lens and it worked rather well, I think my biggest issue was the actual balance of the S800's props as this was evident on the video play back. Im now using my zenmuse with an nex5 so that kind of sorts everything out. Though Im going to try my AV200 on the S800 next to compare with the CS but i'll also have to sort the prop tracking/vibration issues out first. From an asthetics point of view, I really likes the CS Gimbal as its a simple design and its carbon blended in with the S800's legs