s800 with gopro zenmuse?

larryfl1

has anyone installed the gopro zenmuse on the s800?

thoughts? is it a good fit ? or should i go with an alternative?

thank

Larry

Larry,
I'm sure it will work, but it seems way overkill for an MR. The GoPro Zen does work with the Wookong or the Naza, so there really isn't a mismatch from a technical perspective.
But why go for an S800 if all you'll put on it is a GoPro? I guess cost would be a big reason for the smaller gimbal, but for the same reason then maybe go for a smaller MR. Just my thoughts.
Tim

ChrisViperM

Larry,
I'm sure it will work, but it seems way overkill for an MR. The GoPro Zen does work with the Wookong or the Naza, so there really isn't a mismatch from a technical perspective.
But why go for an S800 if all you'll put on it is a GoPro? I guess cost would be a big reason for the smaller gimbal, but for the same reason then maybe go for a smaller MR. Just my thoughts.
Tim

1+ .....Exactly

Chris

Ah! That's what I guessed was the case. So it will definitely work, but if you are serious about photo and video, there are several other options for a higher end cameras (like Sony NEX or Panasonic GH) gimbals that are less that the Zenmuse. You might want to consider one of those as well.

Hi Larry. Don't get me wrong, I have a Zenmuse Z15 for my Sony on my S800, and a Zenmuse H3-2D for my GoPro on my F450. I love them both. My comments were not related to being recommended or not, because I do recommend them. But my experience in gimbals are limited to those two and the X468.

One of the first questions you'll need to answer is whether or not you'll be wanting to do higher-end video with it or not. Basically, the new wave of gimbals is for "brushless gimbal" which are extremely smooth and fast. The DJI Zenmuse fall in this category. But brushless are more expensive then the alternative. If you are only doing photography, then brushless isn't really necessary. For recreational video, you don't need brushless either, which is what the X468 that I had was mounted on my F450 previously.

But here's some other ideas for brushless. I don't own any of them, so I can't recommend them, but maybe there are others on the forum that have experience with these or others that they can recommend:
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-falcon-brushless-gimbal-p-1058.html
http://diydrones.com/video/carbon-fibre-brushless-gimbal-for-sony-nex-and-smaller
http://www.rc-drones.com/X468-XTBG.php (this one is more of a DIY)

I hope this gives you some ideas. I totally understand your "trying to get is somewhat useful", and adding a camera, even a GoPro, does start to add value and fun to your flying.
Tim

Hi larry,

I have just installed a Zenmuse h3-2d on my S800, it works a treat very happy with the footage. No vibrations and so easy to fit. I am still on out of the box settings. It just works. The S800 is a little over kill for the baby zenmuse but that was my budget due to some toe rag deciding he was going to take my dh bike. I will be looking at a bigger gimbal in the future as my flying progresses.

Nigel

Hi, if you pm me your email address I can send you some picture when I get back. I have used the old battery tray to mount the Zenmuse, then I bought a new rc timer battery tray it works a treat.

Nigel

DennyR

I have a Zen with a Nex-7, just back from a factory update, offers around 2.2K euros. Also the WKM to go with it for another 450 euro. IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED.

Joepapa

I have a GoPro Zenmuse on my s800, and it is pretty awesome. Took a lot of work to make it vibration free, but totally worth it.
Best investment was the Xoar 15 inch props and Secraft prop adapters. Eliminated all my vibrations, and I always balance my props. I run 15000mah and get 23 minutes flight time, and land with 25% remaining.