S800 Spins when above 100ft, but fine when below 50 ft

hifidiaries

So we have a very odd issue. Our S800 (fully loaded all the time, with 2 6s 5000 batteries and a zenmuse) either slowly spins to the left or right on it's own when above 100 ft, or full on spins on it's own 1 rotation a second...fast.

SO normally you'd think ok, this is a loose connection, gps etc. BUT the odd thing is, when i get it back to me (often only way is fail safe mode) and take over controls it is fine if low to the ground. anyone have any ideas?

Common answers to the questions you would ask:
-yes calibrated gps multiple times, but it turns purple after..nothin in manual about purple)
-usually all gains are set between 145 and 165)
-v2 arms, not EVO
-ave anti vib kit installed, and all location settings are perfect in wookong for placement.
-running 5.22
-flying in gps or atti mode:
A:in GPS mode it spins faster
B:in Atti mode it tends to wander around the sky aimlessly...VERY scary
C:it comes home in failsafe, even if it's spinning or acting seasick

I hope someone has something they can suggest, i'm outta options, and have a big job to use it on in a few days :S

hifidiaries

MombasaFlash, What tells you I don't know my equipment? Is this any help to my question by responding with a snark remark? Last time we talked you were very helpful.... Please enlighten me on what I am missing here that says I don't know my equipment...

The only thing I can conclude, is an arm has a short in it, enough that when it's higher there is more wind, and it has intermittent power to the esc...

Last edited by a moderator:

hifidiaries

deanot, agreed. He speaks English well.We even spoke on the phone once. I am not sure why he felt like saying that. But oh well, moving on....

I'm going to tear down the heli tomorrow and check all wiring, soldered wires, cables etc. It has to be something involved with communication between the wires. I appreciate your support.

hjls3

hifi - does this happen when you are holding altitude or changing altitude? certainly an odd problem - i am wondering if dropping firmware would help too? im on 5.16 quite successfully.

hifidiaries

hjls3, It was happening in all circumstances. Here's how it went: I took off, hovered fine for 10 seconds, then started my mission. I flew forward about 100 ft and above the ground at about 100 ft. As i neared the 100 ft, it started to turn, not yaw, on it's own. I would attempt to correct it by turning the throttle stick to the left or right, (rudder) which ever i needed to, and nothing would happen. It would essentially stand still. Then I'd let off of attempting to turn it back ,and it would spin a bit faster. I would then try and switch it between gps and atti, which usually resulted in it starting to wig out. I then would turn my controller off, and have it return home via failsafe. Even in failsafe, it's key to mention one of the times it was spinning as it was returning and landing. The whole time there no LED warnings at all.

I feel it important to note that I fly nearly everyday for long periods of time. This is my full time job. I haven't changed anything at all, besides adding the seacraft arm stiffeners yesterday. I can't imagine how they would hurt.

hjls3

man that is weird. i really have no guesses but im looking forward to hearing about your findings when you take it apart tomorrow. best of luck - hope you find something and hopefully its not too serious.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... very disrespectful if you ask me.

Well I wasn't. In fact I wasn't asking anyone. And I don't see anything 'harsh' about the comment. However it was taken, it is certainly not intended to be personal.

It is merely an expression of disgust at the reporting of yet more weird and unexplained multi-rotor behaviour in a professional activity that is rapidly becoming tainted in the public eye before it has had time to become established due to serious overcrowding by irresponsible and/or ignorant idiots.

Before deanot has palpitations at a new "very disrespectful" comment, I am not insinuating for one minute that hifidiaries falls into this category. With the constant stream of reports of strange behaviour by Wookong equipped craft there is a high chance that this is just another one of those unfortunate and exasperating abnormalities. But, with all due respect, it just might not be.

It is not exactly clear how long this turning problem has existed or under what circumstances it started. Regardless, if this multi-rotor is being used for some sort of professional activity and has developed a problem, the professional obligations should not be compromised because there will be a backup. If there is no backup and the professional obligations risk being compromised, the 'Why and How' question still stands, because working within the professional realm with no backup is in itself irresponsible.

Why? Because a paying client could potentially have made other costly arrangements for the shoot and if that shoot is postponed or cancelled he may 'lose his deposit' for those other expenses. Accepting a paid commission means being able to fulfill it and to rely upon a single craft, with no backup, is unprofessional and ... irresponsible. Sorry.

Wiz regarrd to may eengleesh speek habilitay, do you heggspegt me to saind lake Insspectuerre Clouseau?

ChrisViperM

So we have a very odd issue. Our S800 (fully loaded all the time, with 2 6s 5000 batteries and a zenmuse) either slowly spins to the left or right on it's own when above 100 ft, or full on spins on it's own 1 rotation a second...fast.

SO normally you'd think ok, this is a loose connection, gps etc. BUT the odd thing is, when i get it back to me (often only way is fail safe mode) and take over controls it is fine if low to the ground. anyone have any ideas?

Common answers to the questions you would ask:
-yes calibrated gps multiple times, but it turns purple after..nothin in manual about purple)
-usually all gains are set between 145 and 165)
-v2 arms, not EVO
-ave anti vib kit installed, and all location settings are perfect in wookong for placement.
-running 5.22
-flying in gps or atti mode:
A:in GPS mode it spins faster
B:in Atti mode it tends to wander around the sky aimlessly...VERY scary
C:it comes home in failsafe, even if it's spinning or acting seasick

I hope someone has something they can suggest, i'm outta options, and have a big job to use it on in a few days :S

Althought it is almost impossible to diagnose this kind of behavior without actually having the bird standing in front of me, there would be a few questions from my side:

How does the copter react when you switch to manual mode once it starts the unwanted rotations......?

Does this always happen on the same location or did you experience this rotations on different locations....?

If in GPS mode, when it starts rotating, does it still hold position or does it float away.....?

Do you have a chance to put a different Wookong system into this specific S800....?

Chris

PS: The Wookong just lacks a decent logging function. By reading this thread (which started with a crash-report, but could be nailed down to pilot error) it is clearly visible what all DJI products need.....but unfortunately not have :

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?13186-x650-Pro-SuperX-Crash-Post-Mortem-Help-Request

Last edited by a moderator:

FerdinandK

@hifidiaries
Did you mount the arms correctly? * to * and o to o? Did you disassemble the motors from the arms and possibly mounted some brackets (between motors and arms) on the wrong side? Are some of your arms visibly twisted? After flight are some motors noticeable warmer (hotter) than others? Did you mount e.g. any "upgrade" e.g. the kopterworks anti-vibe upgrade (which has to be done correctly)?

If you have a yaw problem it is possible that near the ground everything is fine gut if you climb the air is in move, as it is always more wind up there, which the copter cannot compensate.

best regards
Ferdinand

olof

Osprey
I would suspect the TX/RX. Start by rebinding them. If possible try another TX.

I have had problems similar to this using spectrum radios, never my Futabas. They seem to sometimes experience "brown out" that is partial loss of signal, this can also be due to a BEC problem.

If you have a logger like the Iosd on board, the problem will be easier to analyze.

Let us know what you come up with.

@hifidiaries
Did you mount the arms correctly? * to * and o to o? Did you disassemble the motors from the arms and possibly mounted some brackets (between motors and arms) on the wrong side? Are some of your arms visibly twisted? After flight are some motors noticeable warmer (hotter) than others? Did you mount e.g. any "upgrade" e.g. the kopterworks anti-vibe upgrade (which has to be done correctly)?

If you have a yaw problem it is possible that near the ground everything is fine gut if you climb the air is in move, as it is always more wind up there, which the copter cannot compensate.

best regards
Ferdinand

Once I misplaced the X and O arms and had the same behavior you describe double check your arms and props are not wrong

and3ar

Yep... mee too... but, if you do so... S800 will leave ground rotating inmediately, MC cant control yaw any more... but you can control altitude.
I was able to resolve the situation, flying as close to the ground as possible and turning off the engines in the final moment.
Fortunately landing without harm. Im shure if my hexa had been "heavy" with Zenmuse or whatever... story will be diferent due to the excentric centrifugal forces...
Lucky day for me, we need to be very focused pre-flight and control everything to avoid mistakes, if not we will learn the lesson the hard way.

Best regards