S800 Motor temp

beside the technical specs of the motors, what temp would experience users of the S800 consider normal range that your seeing? I am going to test with a sensor later, but, yesterday short flight.. 7 mins.. seems to have my motors extremely hot to the touch. outside temp was 82F.

it flew fine, but props was making some weird wind noise every so often, so I did not want to take any more risk.. replacing props first..

KS

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
My motors are barely warm after ten minutes of flight. My blades are also noisy but fly fine. How much weight are you lifting?

olof

Osprey
I use an IR thermometer to read the motor temps after landing.

They usually are between 95 and 120 ℉, depending on outside temp and how hard I fly, it is a good way to make sure that you don't have a motor going bad and it also indicates if your CG is off.

Olof, I have the s800 Zenmuse g15 w nex7 and the secraft retracts V2 and 2 nanotech 8000mah (6s). I am sure mine was hotter then 120F. Have you changed props? I am using the original props that came with mine.

Kou

olof

Osprey
Olof, I have the s800 Zenmuse g15 w nex7 and the secraft retracts V2 and 2 nanotech 8000mah (6s). I am sure mine was hotter then 120F. Have you changed props? I am using the original props that came with mine.

Kou

I am running complete DJI stock everything. I do have the new dampening rig.

So my kit is:
S800 original arms from late 2012
WKM w/GPS
Zenmuse w/NEX5n
Iosd V2 update for a V1 (by factory)
DJI 5.8 Downlink.
2 Futaba RX one for Zen one for S800
Wibe reduction kit
Fixed gear
I use either 2 5500 or 2 6000 6S Lipos.

Total weight 6.7Kg.

Normal flight time 10 minutes or less, I can go 12 but rarely do, I usually land with 30-40% left on Lipos and I slow charge them at 2 amps most of the time. If I am in a hurry I will chrge them at 2S but only rarely, usually just 2 amps or max 6 amps.

I guess I am lucky, I get very smooth performance even in windy up to 20 mph gusts. I do fly very carefully, but even quite fast at times, with quick assents. But smooth is best. I have never had a vibration problem. The Zen is fantastic. I do run low gains and always slow a descent early and smoothly not with a huge burst of power.

I have checked my props they are all well balanced, I did not have to balance them. On smaller MRs I sometimes have to sand and add CA or even hot glue to my Graupners. But my stock DJI S800 props are very good.

I think the key is to not have one or 2 motors running hot, this is either a sign of bad CG or problems with the motor/esc. Like I said I carry an IR thermometer to check after each flight.

If you are running hotter than 120℉ I would investigate, and do something about it. Maybe you are above the 7Kg stated max t/o weight of the S800. I also should say I fly at sea level up to 1500' and ambient temp is generally 85℉ or less where I generally shoot. And I keep the MR in the shade when not flying, black motors even w/o running will get quite hot in direct sun. Flying the airflow will cool them.

Maybe someone in a hot area can check and post the temps their motors run at, trouble free. Like I said the big thing is that they are all even. And I live in New England.

Hi All,
I had my third test last night with new gain setting that I'm not sure are any better than before.
Hovering for 4--5 min landed because it looks like it shacking its self to deaf.
My motor were to hot to touch, hold them for a second and then they burn your hand.
Tested my F550 after for 11.50 min flying about like crazy landed check motor for heat, There hot but not like the S800 motors.

Any help welcome please
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

@Jimmygixxer,

4-5 mins.. I get about 5-7.. and mine is hot to the touch too. my S800 is loaded though.. I fly very conservative.. like olof. I have the secraft arms supports and the Pro Retracts... I also carry 2x nanotech 8000mah I know I am over weight.. I like having 2 packs.. already have had several packs go bad in flight.. and they were newer packs. Now my next battery order will be smaller packs.. like 4000-6000mah and I will double up on them each flight for pack redundancy.

right now, I have several 8000mah so for the next future flights, I may shed some landing gear or cut all my wires to length.

I also have an idea that I may be trying soon.. putting standoff pieces between the esc and the arms.. this will create a space that may help with airflow under the motor. I believe the newer evo's have this already, not sure.

will have to keep trying...

keep us updated on your progress if anything you do help.

Hi Ksrimoungchanh,
I want more flight time than that, Ive been told motors should not get that hot otherwise the magnets become demagnetised or something.
I fly my F550 with Aeroxcraft gimbal go pro with 1 x 4s 5A nano techs and get 11.50 min flying like crazy not hovering or filming anything just to having fun.
Ive been told i should get 10-20 min from my S800 battery 6s 10A. I wil keep you posted mate.
Laters

Benjamin Kenobi

Actually my motors did get warm this weekend with the high ambient temperature. Came down at 43C.

How are you determining flight time? Are you putting back in 80% of the lipos listed mah when on the charger? Quite a few people have high voltage-cutoff settings which causes premature landings.

A good brand of lipos for the S800 is a must. They are an essential component.

Hey Benjamin,

My flight time is not really base on battery life though it is limited by battery life.. I wish that is all I worry when I fly. I tend to spawn off with the ESC over heating, or motor issues that JimmyJixxer also touch on, IMU, GPS. Reading through lots of users mishap.. some gets me thinking that I might fall under same fate if I get to comfortable. Mechanically I treat our hobby gear as just that.. but expensive. I know there is a fix for unlimited battery life, but then we need something that goes not generate heat and also the motor should not raise vulnerability surface as it keeps on spinning.. I tend to think the MTF, mean time to failure.. is somewhat always in the shadow. I land the craft after a good video run.. could be 1 min.. 5 min.. for longer flights of fun.. I use my f550 or a fix wing with FPV. My S800 is considered hobby APV for me.

But to answer you questions.. fully loaded S800/Zen/Secraft Retracts Pro, VTX, 2x 8000mah Nanotechs.. about 5mins of airborne, I put back about 8000mah or a bit less. about 50%, but my PL8 mostly shows 38% start. Maybe I need to review my profile on my PL8 again. I am sure when I land the voltage is much lower and flux back up after resting. I normally don't charge right away. charge when I get home.. so the battery has time to rebound and stabilize out. Base on that, some would definitely take it a few more minutes or so. I would just land and use that time to do more calibration down low or just land the beast to rest the motors and esc.

as for LV alarm, I actually disabled mine.. have iOSD and since I keep my flight short, did not feel I need it.

to your point.. good pack of batteries have gone bad on me before.. weather/temp/storage/user problems.. so I always go 2pack.. expensive or cheap.. always go 2 pack.

not sure, but i heard that there are only a few cell manufactures.. all get repack/rebranded. Have not confirmed that.

but the LCD/LED technology.. only 3 manufactures.. all got placed in different countries (Korea, Japan, China) and put into all different brand of TV/Monitors/Laptops.. etc. was part of that mishap.. google "srimoungchanh lcd" learned quit a bit about manufacturing partnerships and process that goes on between competitors.

I can easily see it happening to a product like the lipo cells.. not much of it goes directly to consumers from cell manufactures.. there is always someone in the middle or multiple "someone" in the middle before it hits the end users like us. Makes it a bit harder to find out that there is only a few guys at the dinner table controlling the market of all tons of brands of lipos packs... though it would be interesting to tear a few apart and compare.

KS

I was hovering for 4 mins when checking the motors at about 20.30 Tuesday night so it was cool outside by that time.
Spoke to a couple of dealers that said they should not be that hot.

Benjamin Kenobi

Yeah, that's too hot. After 10 mins I can touch mine just fine. I tried some new lipos but the COG was off so the 2 rear motors were 3• hotter than the rest. Good to check temps each time.