S800 motor/ESC problem after ESC replacement. Ideas?

skivvie

Well that was a bummer. Just went to maiden the S800 after the ESC replacement and when I powered it up, one of the arms kept beeping after the startup beeps. Power cycled it. Same. Power cycled again. Same. Moved arm to another socket. Same arm still beeping, didn't matter which socket. Manual indicates it's the "Input signal abnormal" state. Just took the arm apart and checked all connections and all appears normal... so I'm now at a loss. It's not the wiring before the arm because I moved it to different sockets and it was the same ESC/Motor, so eliminated that (right?). Grrrr. So bummed.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Last edited by a moderator:

skivvie

Talking to myself now...

::Tearing hair out:: haha.

So... I took it apart, redid a couple of solder joints that weren't perfect, but were definitely not bad... nothing that would cause an issue at least, took the props off, plugged it back in and no beep.

What worries me most is that I moved a couple of the input wires to the ESC so that they weren't resting on the LED resistors... and I'm wondering if that was the issue. If so I'm now super scared to fly it. What a horrible wiring scheme that is. Ugh. Well.. try again in the AM.

skivvie

I'm going to tear it down and resolder and recheck in the AM... too scared to fly it with a random oops it works now. =] THanks.

ChrisViperM

Did you send your arms in for fixing ?...and where did you send it to ?...did they actually replace the ESC's (in that case you should have gotten the old ones back) or did they fix it just with the "resistor solder trick" ? What worries me a little bit is the fact that most of us do not really know how the wires and cables should be arranged in a correct way and which components are allowed to be close together or even touch each other. The whole replacement action was done under a huge pressure to get this things out as fast as possible, and I can imagine that a few things like soldering or placing wires might not be perfect....just how the hell to find out without beeing the guinea pig again.

Chris

Digitech

we dont send the old esc back , we swap them (they dont have this mess over them).
you do need a good hand , ESD protection , and a good soldering station , the wires are covered with plastic protection.
if made to hot they melt and shortcut.
our arms are tested before they are send out.

ChrisViperM

we dont send the old esc back , we swap them (they dont have this mess over them).
you do need a good hand , ESD protection , and a good soldering station , the wires are covered with plastic protection.
if made to hot they melt and shortcut.
our arms are tested before they are send out.

I certainly trust the job you have done, but I was wondering how other people - especially skivvie - have handled their "exchange" and if this could be a source for their problems.

At this point a big "Thank You" to www.digitech.nl and http://stein-webshop.de/Shop/ for handling my ESC exchange in such a good way. I was informed at an very early stage and the whole handling and information flow was very professional. The problems with the ESC's are certainly not their fault but they did the best they could to sort it out. One thing I have learned: Don't go for cheap...go for SERVICE

Chris

skivvie

Thanks for your input guys. I'd take pics but I just put it all back together before I read this. I desoldered my ESCs and sent them to a US dealer, who returned them along with new replacement ESC's with a v4 stamp (replacing the v3 boards). So I have both sets. Soldered in the new ones myself with magnification, steady hand, good iron, cleaned pads, the works. I went over the entire ESC with magnification component by tiny component and made sure there were no stray solder blobs or bad solder joints. I'm pretty confident in my soldering skills, but won't claim to be the worlds best. Still not 100% sure why this one gave me an issue but I've stripped it and resoldered everything and all is well at the moment. Going to try and fly it again in a bit. Fingers crossed eh!