S800 minor crash (hard landing really) on first test flight with Zenmuse

One question, when you write: "I got 13 mins flying time (until auto land on low battery)", do you really mean auto land, as in fail safe or RTH? That might be flying too close to 'the edge'...
lol... I had exactly the same concern when I read that. Kicking in Failsafe at 20.0V basically out you landing on fumes.

steveq

Hey deluge2 and ProPilotWannaBe, thanks! So much to shoot... so little time. :) hehe

I hope to shoot some more next weekend.

I have a battery warning at 21.8v which vibrates my radio. At that point I fly home and land. My next and final warning is at 20.0v. On this warning the S800 just lands itself, autonomously, wherever it is. The reasoning behind it is that the battery will die any second, so it is better to attempt a landing rather than fall out of the sky!

On this occasion what I did was fly it home on the first warning, but let it hover about 3m above the ground until the second warning, at which point it landed itself. At that point it had been in the air for 13min.

Generally I get 10min practical air time and as soon as I get the first vibration warning I come home.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

boranup

Steve just flew my CW6 800 on 5.24 after following your lead - 3 flights 20+ minutes of flying and very happy - waiting for all the gear to arrive next week minus the Evo :(

still great to get some more time in the air!

steveq

Hey Mate,

Yeah I saw it on Facebook. Rock solid! Nice!

5.24 seems to be very stable. I hope the weather is nice to do some more flying next weekend.

Steve :)

Hey deluge2 and ProPilotWannaBe, thanks! So much to shoot... so little time. :) hehe

I hope to shoot some more next weekend.

I have a battery warning at 21.8v which vibrates my radio. At that point I fly home and land. My next and final warning is at 20.0v. On this warning the S800 just lands itself, autonomously, wherever it is. The reasoning behind it is that the battery will die any second, so it is better to attempt a landing rather than fall out of the sky!

On this occasion what I did was fly it home on the first warning, but let it hover about 3m above the ground until the second warning, at which point it landed itself. At that point it had been in the air for 13min.

Generally I get 10min practical air time and as soon as I get the first vibration warning I come home.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Steve
Yes, makes sense. I know I don't like to push my batteries that hard. I've only got down to 20.0 one time and my batteries were very warm, and I pretty much put back the full mah of the battery. I typically aim to only put back in 80-85% of the battery which means, in my case, being on the ground t about 20.6V. Keep on enjoying your flying!

steveq

Oh yeah, I don't do this as a norm! In fact I have only done it a couple of times to test the failsafe.

I'm generally on the ground around 21.5v. Don't want to take any unnecessary chances!

Steve :)