S800 Leg Brace Issue

Eoin

Hi all,
I've decided to deal with the few issues I'm having with my S800 one at a time.
Starting from the ground up, did anyone else receive an S800 with the leg bracing problem ?
On my S800 the leg braces don't fit correctly. They can't be tightened as this causes a lot of strain on the braces, bending them, and of course by not tightening them the craft is not as rigid as it should be.
It's obviously a design flaw and I suspect I was sent an earlier prototype model.
I have been getting by for test flying but there is no way I could mount a gimble on it as it is.
I have sent an email to DJI but as it's the weekend I would imagine the earliest I will hear from them will be Monday.
In the meantime it would be good to ascertain how many people have this problem ? I know there are a few, but there are also many who don't. It's been mentioned on rcgroups a few times, but other than one person saying that DJI had promised a mod for it there are no answers. I know one person filed their braces to make them sit flush, but I'm not willing to do this as I believe it would weaken them in a hard landing and also because, for the money I have paid, I would expect to have a properly made machine.
Anyone ?
Thanks
Eoin

Tahoe Ed

I got one of the first ones in the US and I do not have that issue. Are you sure that you are fitting the gear together correctly? There is a tab in bottom connector that fits into the slot in the down tube. I would check both ends to be sure that they are properly placed. I agree if it is defective you need replacement parts. But check first.

Eoin

Hi Tahoe Ed,
Yes I checked and double checked and then I checked again :)
They definitely don't fit.
DennyR do you have any more information on DJI's response ?

Eoin

Update on this,
On Monday morning I received an email from DJI asking me to send photos. I sent them Yesterday and this morning I got a reply telling me that I have the most recent model. They didn't address the issue at all though it was very visible in the photos.
I'm sure I'm not doing anything wrong but could someone please post pictures of their leg setup so I can be sure. This is really frustrating me. I'm particularly interested in seeing where the braces join the top bars on the frame.
I would really appreciate it if someone could do this for me.
Thanks
Eoin

DennyR

Hi Tahoe Ed,
Yes I checked and double checked and then I checked again :)
They definitely don't fit.
DennyR do you have any more information on DJI's response ?
Eric Sun (obviously not his real name) said that a mod. was coming.

Eoin

Thanks Skivvie. I actually saw those photos yesterday. Unfortunately they are not clear enough to show me the difference. Particularly where the linkage meets the top of the frame.
I will keep looking for suitable photos.
Thanks DennyR. Did you speak to them yourself ? In my communication they didn't say anything was wrong. Only to hold the linkage straight when attaching, which doesn't work !
A further email I sent yesterday asking for confirmation of this has been met with silence so far.

skivvie

Would love to get a more definitive answer on this as I have the same issue. I have it mounted exactly as show in the manual... and from what I can tell, if the rod was a cm or so shorter, it would seat correctly. Can someone who has an S800 that the rod fits please measure it? That would explain the problem if the first batch was just too long...
View attachment 4904

Attachments

• Photo 0.jpg
    Photo 0.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 388

skivvie

I got responses from DJI via email.... though the reply was surprising. Here's the email thread:

Hi Terry,

I finally have my Pre-Order S800 out of it's case and the support arms
do not seat correctly. I've attached a photo so you can see what I
mean. I have heard from others that they have the same issue... it
seems the support arm might be too long? I've made sure I am attaching
it correctly according to the directions. Help appreciated.

-loren
------------------------
[FONT=comic sans ms,sans-serif]Hi, Loren,
Yes, you are right. Will show to production and see if any improvement can be made.
[/FONT]
Best regards,

Terry
------------------------
Thanks Terry... In the mean time what am I to do? Are there new support arms because not everyone has this problem? If there are can I get a set please? thanks for the response!
-Loren

------------------------
Hi, The support arms all the same for everyone. What I suggest is do not have the screw too tight.
------------------------

Soo.... There's that.

skivvie

Seriously? Just put a washer on or don't crank it down. It's really not a huge deal, I just wanted to know if mine was screwed up, but apparently this is the same on everyone's setup. It's not a deal killer, and his response seemed reasonable enough, he stated the facts and what not to do. It's not like the bird won't fly.

vislaw

Seriously? Just put a washer on or don't crank it down. It's really not a huge deal, I just wanted to know if mine was screwed up, but apparently this is the same on everyone's setup. It's not a deal killer, and his response seemed reasonable enough, he stated the facts and what not to do. It's not like the bird won't fly.

Agreed. The washer works as does simply not over-tightening it. Obviously, it's a flaw but one that is pretty minor IMHO.

ChrisViperM

I had the same problem...but no big deal. Instead of writing for support - which you will never get anyway - I took my dremel, took some material off and bent the mounting stud carefully a little bit to the outside...end of story. I am too long in rc-models and have to fix that kind of thing over and over again...you get used to it. Apart from that, the whole construction is a far cry away from being rigid anyway...But you are right, you payed some serious money and could expect a product which is well designed (what to some extend it actually is)...und not sloppy answeres from "customer service".....