S800 EVO, S800, and DJI, Thoughts on Performance and Support

Hi Guys,

I must say that I am a little hesitant to post anything, because you may think this is simply because I am one of DJI's main Dealers. I know there are a few on the forums that absolutely hate DJI Products, and I am certain that there will be some negative comments on here. Anyway, I am simply posting this to give my view and opinion on the S800, and some of my thoughts towards some of the other concerns posted by members.

Having Sold over 100 S800's and (10) RTF EVO's already, I can certainly say they are 100% up to their designed task. I am not just some online hobby shop or some guy selling product on a website out of his bedroom. I actually use these products weekly for professional filming. Anything from music videos and commercials to Full on Feature Films. If I wouldn't use something myself, I certainly wouldn't recommend it to you. I am in the trenches weekly on Set Flying these things, so I know what its like to have a failure, or problem with the aircraft. I cant say that you will never have a problem with your S800, but I can say it has proven itself over and over again.

One of our clients works full time Filming the Discovery Channel show GOLD RUSH. No BS, they fly that S800 for the past 5 months 10 hours a day in the Jungle, and up in Alaska. They beat the hell out of it, and it hasn't failed them once. Just wait to see the show next season. I have seen some footage and its amazing.

I will mention something regarding the wookong reliability. For feature films, I mainly fly one of my RED EPIC's using a wookong system. The owner of RED (Jim Jannard) Purchased a full on RTF to fly EPIC's with and absolutely loves it. He showcased the copter in the RED booth at NAB. They have since purchased over 10 copters from us, All flying the wookong. I will add, that we have sent a couple of these copters over 15 miles using the wookong and Data link. Currently we have logged 68 long range waypoint missions without a single failure. I can say without a doubt, that the Wookongs are reliable.

Now, for filming Music videos, and Commercials, Its hard to beat the S800.

The S800 isn't for everyone. If your looking for a super heavy lifter or something to Fly an EPIC with, I am going to recommend something else.

If your into the DIY type of things, then your probably better off buying a Frame, and building everything yourself. You will have to assemble frame, power distribution, Program ESC's, throttle calibration, install motors, prop adapters, gimbal, etc etc etc. Then hope you got it all correct and hope it doesn't flip over when you fire it up.

The S800's take most of that out of the equation. Arms are plug and play. Pretty easy not to screw that install up. X goes to X, and O goes to O. If you crash on set, simply grab a replacement arm that is ready to go with Motor, ESC, and prop mounted, Slap it on, and finish the Shoot. Yea the ARM cost $260 for the entire thing ready to go, but that's peanuts when your making $1000-$3000 a day with this rig.

Now if your looking for a turn key system that will deliver USABLE / STABLE footage right out of the gate. Or if your looking for a system that you can easily go out and make $1000-3000 a day. Then the S800 might be for you. You may also want to consider getting one that is completely built and test flown by a reputable dealer, that can also offer AFTER SALE support. Yea it might cost a bit more, but it could save you thousands in the near future.

Straight up, It is Freakin hard to beat the footage coming from the Zenmuse. I have seen pilots out there that have the copter bobbin around like windshield wipers. But we look at the footage and are like Damnnnnn. Its so stable. The S800 with Zenmuse makes rookies look like Pros. Seriously, I wish I had this 3 years ago when I started Aerial Filming. I would have been stoked If I could have gotten a turn Key system like an S800 for $7k back then.

OK, now lets talk about some of the problems. Yes the S800 and wookong went through some growing pains, and I imagine there will be problems in the future with new products. I remember when I was the First to get the 2006 Z06 Corvette. I blew through 3 rear diffs in a matter of months. Granted I drove it like I stole it. Cool thing was Chevy replaced everything for free. Even hooked me up with a free rental while it was in the shop. I wasn't too upset cause I knew it was a new product and one of the first production cars pumping out 500HP. Now if Chevy would have told me to kick rocks and would have not repaired or replaced it, I would have been extremely upset, especially after spend $100K on it. This experiance seems to be similar to some of you that have spent close to $10k on your S800 and need support. I share this example because this is how your DJI Support is going to be.

The support and warranty you receive is going to depend a lot on your Dealer. I know personally we had 2 S800 do the Flip thing and crash hard. My customer contacted me, I contacted DJI Direct, and had their S800 and Zenmuse completely replaced at no charge. I have (5) H3-2D gimbals being sent back to China right now. I warrantied these in house for the customer. I took gimbals off my shelf to give to the customer so they can be back up in the air, rather than having them to wait for the gimbal to be fixed or replaced in China. Got a Phantom with a motor that wont start, bring it in and we replace Free of Charge. Sometimes while you wait.

Some of you that already kow us, know that we offer a lot of phone support too. Sometimes the problem is something simple. Yesterday customer had Flashing Yellow/RED on his 450 Extreme with H3-2D. He was stressed cause he was going on a road trip to Utah to film, and the copter wouldn't even start up. I walked him through the calibration and he was on his way a happy customer.

We pride ourselves on our customer service and feel we are the leaders of the industry in that aspect. However I know we miss some customers needing help from time to time. With approx. 100-200 emails a day, and 150 phone calls a day, its hard to catch them all. I ask those that we miss to please don't be embarrassed to call again 10-20 min later. Chances are we will catch you the second time around. In order to better combat the growing need of support for our ever growing amount of customers. I have personally invested heavily into a new 6000 Sq foot building. We have outgrown our current building, so its time to go big. I am remodeling the place right now to have Build rooms, Training areas, Relaxation room (Man Cave), and much more. It will be the ultimate Multirotor Club House
smile.gif
With Four full time Employees right now, we are looking to expand that to 10 by the end of first quarter. This is all to better support you guys out there in the field.

Sorry to ramble on. I am just trying to emphasize that Customer service is probably what's going to make or break your DJI experience.

One thing I do not understand is how many have problems with S800's here on the forums. Is it because people mainly come to the forums because they have problems. Or is it because a lot of people are buying from Amazon, or some 3rd tier or 2nd tier dealer that is only around to make a quick buck, and they cant seem to get any good support. Chances are if you got in on ebay or amazon, your might run into some customer service problems.

It just seems like those that are doing awesome with their gear are to busy out there making money, or don't have time or need to come post on forums.

I'm not here to sale or push anything. I just want people to know that there are an extremely large amount of Happy customers with the current S800's , and that there are Dealers like myself that offer great support before, and AFTER the sale. Don't take my word for it though, do your own searching to draw your conclusion.

Too better serve and limit those that could have problems in the future, I would recommend anyone that is thinking of purchasing any such products to carefully consider who they buy from. Make sure they are a reputable dealer. It may be good to see if they actually use these copters for what they advertise. Check on their customer service, and see if you can get them on the phone.

As for us, I know our prices are not the Internet Blow out Low ball specials, But neither is our customer service.

If your having problems with your current dealer, and need some warranty or support. Feel free to contact us Directly, and we will try our best to get you taken care of.

On to some examples of current S800 and EVO customers.

We just had a Client fly in from Costa Rica to pick up his RTF S800 EVO yesterday. Here is a quick clip we put together for him. Seems to be working pretty damn good :)

Here are a couple videos from some of our other RTF Customers.

This Customer here won the Grand Prize, and just received a brand new S800 EVO, Z15, Wookong, OSD, and 5.8 TX/RX

Lastly, If you want to see a big list of Happy S800 customers, Check out the Showcase videos found here. I imagine each one of those videos are from customers that are pretty happy with their products.
http://www.dji.com/equipment/eq-s800-wkm-z15/?per_page=79#a59

Sorry for the long post. I don't get on the forum a whole lot. But wanted to chime in and share an insiders perspective. I know and understand that a lot of you have had problems and are upset with DJI Products. I can truly say that DJI is aware and is trying their best to take support to the next level. I promise you that you will see changes happening in the months to come.

I myself am just as committed (If not more), to support my customers in the absolute best way possible. For any of you that are local SoCal, come on by the new place next month and have a Beer (oops, I mean coca cola) :) Feel free to contact me directly if you feel there is something I can help with.

Take care,
Patrick
Aerial Media Pros

Last edited by a moderator:

deluge2

Thanks Patrick, I'm a customer, though not for the whole system because I'm on the East Coast. However your post is consistent with my experience with AMP and some other quality DJI dealers. It's interesting and understandable that when things go wrong, people get upset. But it is also true that a little luck and spending time with docs and these forums contributes to higher chances for overall success. Seems hard to argue that working with a quality dealer can be a make or break decision. I hope DJI corporate steps up on the customer service front, but for now and in the future, the dealer will remain the first point of contact. I salute you and the other dealers who stand behind what they sell!

Steve

hjls3

Patrick I cant agree more - key to a good experience = good dealer - my ZEN good example - had problem - Patrick had new one on my doorstep in a acceptable amount of time. As for the 800 itself - i have asked mine to fly in some rather harsh conditions - most of my flying done above 8000 asl and fully loaded - sometimes in brutally cold weather - no problems really.

back to the evo - Patrick I would be interested in your thoughts comparing the two versions - you think its worth a look at upgrading with a whole new bird to the evo? - (keep inmind, im happy with mine) - if you thought it flew much better though - id consider. or what are your thoughts on doing the upgrades to the first version? ie the arms and vibration stuff with imu relocate and keep WKM #1?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Here here! I love my S800 and Zen. Never had a problem that couldn't be solved by reading.

And your dealer is the best resource! Even if you never have to contact them its nice knowing they're there.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I can't really speak for S800 or the like, but in all fairness, I have not really had much trouble with my setups. I do believe failures can happen and can happen to any unit at great cost, after all we are only tetherd to the Aircraft by a wireless link. We have no way of knowing how well it will act, fly or even if it will get off the ground to start with. I do know, the aircraft is only as good as the effort, time, skill put into the build. Rushing something to get it in the air without making sure you have dotted the "I's" and crossed the "T's", well it is a recipe for disaster. Take your time and check everything 10 times.

photobobga

DJI offers a great range of products and I use them on my two multirotor aircraft. What they have failed to do is control the re-seller channel, there are hundreds of web sites that offer DJI products... the majority of them have no knowledge of these products. I spent $500.00+ this weekend on DJI NAZA upgrades with one of top listed dealers on DJI's web site. Not one of the sales staff could offer any technical help nor was there any manuals included. DJI could greatly improve their reputation by limiting the reseller channel and requiring technical knowledge/support from these dealers. In the world of marketing, DJI has done everything for their own benefit... mandate reseller prices, flood the market with as many resellers as possible and offer no direct support. Its hard to knock DJI with design faults as this is an extremely fast emerging market. Anyone that has owned a Microsoft product can relate to this. Windows 7 is the first really stable product I've owned... In my humble opinion, DJI has two personalities, 1) they are trying to flood the market to every... I can buy that and make thousands, low budget photographer or videographer with the Phantom or GoPro carrying multirotor and, 2)the professional firms that understand the you need liability insurance, training, and post production skills to even attempt this new technology. I think DJI has offered great products to the multirotor industry and will also contribute to the reason the FAA closes the door on us.

phan·tom
ˈfantəm/
noun

Patrick,
You are totally right that the forums seem to be flooded with the bad news side of stuff. As you stated, I think it's because those of us that have had great DJI experiences don't take the time to post about it. I am one that have been tired of people saying "I won't buy DJI because of all the problems they have." I always have to remind them that they have by far the larger customer base and many more units sold and, as such, will get more attention and more reports (good or bad). But I have entertained for a while starting a thread called something like "Tout Your Successes". Maybe I will after I get back from this two week trip I am making oversees if someone else hasn't already. But we do need to encourage people to post the good stories instead of just the bad.

boranup

I bugged Brian from Aerialmediapros.com on the weekend and he got back to me straight away (over the weekend too!!!!) on a query about placement of WKM components on the Evo. The really good thing about this was I didnt buy any of my kit from him and he was happy to share his knowledge - in my books that is awesome :)

Cant thank him enough and I certainly owe him a beer. Attached are the pics he sent me if anyone else needs such info.

View attachment 13640View attachment 13641View attachment 13642

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpeg
    IMG_0751.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0752.jpeg
    IMG_0752.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0753.jpeg
    IMG_0753.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 324

saidquad

Here here! I love my S800 and Zen. Never had a problem that couldn't be solved by reading.
I guess you are lucky owners of S800. My case was different. I did buy S800 to lift up zen and nex. First problem were ESCs. DJI called back ESCs. The problem couldn’t be solved by reading. ESCs got pretty much hot and it was not safe to fly S800 (dangerous!). It took time. Second problem which was not solved by reading was GPS which caused a flip and crash (dangerous!). Replace by DJI and took time. Then Soft arms which resulted to vibration and oscillations when the bird was about 7kg (even though it was supposed to handle 7kg). So after some times new arms and vibration damping kit appeared along with new IMU. Not mentioning firmware downgrades! and other small replacements. If you faced above problems having a super good dealer could do nothing for you. The dealer also had to wait for the new replacements. I don’t hate DJI and I wish them good luck. But I did not expect to be a beta tester for DJI since two years ago. Any way, after two years of waiting and replacements my S800 is flying fine but still not as good as my new Tarot T960 frame which costs much less than S800! I did not dare to spend more money on DJI and test the EVO and A2.

John,

If your happy with your S800, then there really is no reason to upgrade. Sort of going off the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" mentality. IF your getting small vibrations in your video, the Vibration kit would diffidently help with that. As for a performance difference, I don't think there is anything that you could do with the EVO, that you couldn't do with your current S800. There probably isn't a need to upgrade to an EVO if your just looking for a performance upgrade. Now if you have been making quite a bit of cash, and looking to take your Aerial company to the next level. It might not be a bad idea to get an EVO and keep your old S800 as a backup. This would help eliminate missing out on gigs and income due to a copter being down. I remember when we were scrambling so we could get your Zenmuse replaced and back to you in time for your shoot. Having a back up bird takes that stress away a little. If your not doing a lot of shooting, I wouldn't get a second bird. Keep using your current S800 until your gigs have paid for it and began to bring in a profit. Once your into the green, then look into getting a second copter. Hope that info helps bud. As always, feel free to call me if you have questions.

Take care,

Patrick

Hi Patrick,
Did some business with you earlier this year (heavy lift conversion for F550)..

Now I have an S800 EVO and I had a small accident with it (nothing to do with the S880, it was my own carelessness)
So I need a set of spare props for the S800 EVO - can't find them anywhere!

Would you happen to have them in stock?

Many thanks and regards,
Louis

boranup

Hi Patrick would like to know similar as Louis - also I see the two taped holes in the Evo motor bodies - I assume you could use traditional props on these also?

maxwelltub

Hey Patrick,
Im having trouble getting my WKM to perform in wind, I know this is a bit of a thread high jack, but because you are confident in this machine can you tell me is it just a matter of dialing in gains? what firmware are you flying?

Louis,

We have all the main spares and replacements parts for the EVO coming in. Hoping to have them beginning of next week. This will include Props, Arms, Complete arms, ESC's, Motors, etc etc. Once we get them in, I will get pics and get them up on the website.

As for handling in the wind. It could be the basic gains that are giving you problems. These are the gains we use daily and they work great. These gains have worked over and over for us, and are a nice starting point. Try it out and see if that helps.

130 130 150 160
120 120

PapaRomeo

I am curious about the copters you have sold to RED. How big are they. You mentioned something flying 15 miles away with Red Epics? What kind of batteries?

I have a lot of experience with DJI Waypoint systems and so far they have always completed their missions but I have newer flown past visual range. Please tell me more.

Patrik

Patrik,

The Copters that we have sold to RED vary in Size and serve different purposes. They Have a Skyjib, and soon a Halo to fly the EPIC's. Those are not long range copters. The copters we send 15 miles is something that we are developing and currently working on. I am not at liberty to share much info on that topic. I will say that we are NOT Flying the EPIC's that far, well at least not YET :)

Feel free to PM me any Off topic questions, and Ill get to them as quickly as I can.

Patrick

RobertHogg

Hey All,

It does appear that there is more posting from the negative side (maybe that's the case with any forum?). I wanted to chime in to say I have been flying solely DJI for about a year and it has been a great experience. Now granted I managed to avoid the flip-of-death era pretty much (got my Wookong GPS unit just after it was solved), but I also had great help and backup from Aerial Media Pros, where I bought all my stuff (thanks Patrick!).

I haven't experienced a mechanical or electrical failure from the equipment yet (pilot error, sure), and we've put our s800 (with Zenmuse, fully loaded) through some pretty rough stuff. Basically, not knowing better I just assumed everything was going to work perfectly, and we've heading out and done all kinds of shoots, even packing it all up in pelican cases and heading out of the country (Caribbean). From reading and checking out all the videos out there, I know we're spoiled by the camera stabilization the Zenmuse gives. But also the DJI control system has really impressed me (due to my background, I know good computer-control-of-hardware when I see it). For example, we were shooting an Indie film off the coast of Aruba, in high wind that was shifting all the time. I was able to do a GPS-hold over the actors, point my Zenmuse straight down, and do a rise up into the air - and even though the copter was thrashing all over the place to counter-act the 25 MPH changing wind, the shot was PERFECTLY steady all the way up! Another example: did a fly-by of a sail boat out over the deep ocean (!) and lost my FPV due to operator error of not switching out the transmitter battery (we had it separately powered at that time); luckily I had set up and tested return home before trying shots like this and I had no choice but to use it after losing the copter in the sun, way out over the ocean. I can't describe the feeling of seeing my bird fly back to me unharmed and in perfect control by basically what amounts to an full autopilot using a combination of Gyros, Accels, GPS, and compass! $7k for that kind of technology - ridiculous!

So maybe we've been lucky, but we've done a LOT of shoots now, a lot of good paid work, and I've been VERY happy with all my s800 and DJI equipment to date. Examples and shameless promotion below. : )

Cheers,
-Robert
HoverCameras.com

I can't believe DJI is still in business with the customer service they have, or I mean lack of... sorry, non existent.
I've lost thousands of dollars from my s800 doing the flip of death and DJI basically said to go F**K myself, even though I have video showing it.

Word of warning to DJI dealers: I've been talking to my lawyer this past week about who to sue, he said even if DJI is selling flawed parts the dealers are going to get sued first, DJI will just hide behind them. So just remember, when a s800 does a flyaway or flip of death or whatever the bug of the week is and seriously hurts or kills someone the dealer is going to be sued out of business.

I can't believe DJI is still in business with the customer service they have, or I mean lack of... sorry, non existent.
I've lost thousands of dollars from my s800 doing the flip of death and DJI basically said to go F**K myself, even though I have video showing it.

Word of warning to DJI dealers: I've been talking to my lawyer this past week about who to sue, he said even if DJI is selling flawed parts the dealers are going to get sued first, DJI will just hide behind them. So just remember, when a s800 does a flyaway or flip of death or whatever the bug of the week is and seriously hurts or kills someone the dealer is going to be sued out of business.

That's so f**king american style - sue!!! Sue sue sue!! What the heck, get a life!