S1000 and Canon 5D Mark III exploring the American Southwest

SoCal Blur

Very nice scenery. That opening shot looked like you were flying over the surface of Mars! I espcially liked the shot where your s1000 was dragging the camera/gimbal under water to see the hiker walking through the water LOL.

How did the s1000 perform? Any issues, concerns or tips when doing a shoot away from home?

Very nice scenery. That opening shot looked like you were flying over the surface of Mars! I espcially liked the shot where your s1000 was dragging the camera/gimbal under water to see the hiker walking through the water LOL.

How did the s1000 perform? Any issues, concerns or tips when doing a shoot away from home?

Thanks! It performed very well. Here are some things I learned:

(1) consider buying a carry case that allows the system to be transported assembled. I had to disassemble/reassemble the arms, gimbal, and landing gear before every commercial flight. They now sell cases that are expensive, but allow everything to ship completely assembled. The waterproof cases I would imagine are also nice because you could get caught in a storm and not be in a mad panic. We often had to skip shots because it looked like bad weather could potentially be an issue by the time our hike was over with.

(2) film, film, film. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. film, film, film. If you worry too much about one location, you may overlook other good spots. Also, unless you have good reason, don't waste your additional batteries in the same location -- go capture something else. In my experience, nobody wants to see the same thing drawn out, they would rather be overwhelmed with diversity.

(3) make sure you have the ability to charge via a car battery. this led to crucial recharges in the field when we were far from wall sockets. i would have never gotten the Bryce Canyon footage without car charging capability.

(4) bring tools and spare repair equipment. i brought extra screws, thread sealer, cables, zip ties, rubber bands, super glue, hex wrenches -- just in case. I figured I was already traveling with 100+ lbs of gear, I might as well not skimp on a "first-aid" kit.

(5) understand that you are taking a risk, and be at peace with failure. this hobby is sometimes about risk, but it is also about enjoying the process. in order to reduce my would-be sadness of a total loss, I made sure to minimize whatever potential impact I could by downloading my footage to a laptop after each flight. my thinking was that if i took a nose dive into the dark abyss, at least I would have something to walk away with. i know, it seems a bit disconcerting if not morbid, but i find it to be honest.

(6) enjoy yourself

Beautiful scenery. were you flying fpv for the longer shots or LOS?

While I prepared and practice for autopilot flights with the 2.4 ghz bluetooth datalink via my iPad while at home, I never ended up using it in the field, primarily due to the absence of cell service (i couldn't download any maps, and hadn't pre-loaded them when i had the chance when i was in service).

So I just flew with my eyes. My friend was using goggles to view the footage from the gimbal, but there was no assistance via FPV or autopilot.

SoCal Blur

Good list of tips. Glad that all went well. Just out of curiosity, how much unedited footage did you end up with?

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
Fantastic work, man. I’m curious whether you ran into any flak from anybody in those locations you flew. I assume you didn’t have a COA or permits or anything. It certainly looks like you were being super professional and careful, but there’s all kinds of folks out there who are opposed to small UAS operations in some of those areas.