RTH weirdness

Hi All

I've had my DJI for about a year and the return to home and land has always worked fine. I updated the firmware to 5.02 about two months ago. Today I tested the RTH again. It's seems okay, but on the way back it yaws 180 deg. (away from the original takeoff) and then descends to landing, but the motor don't stop, so it fall over and cuts the grass!. I've checked all my Tx and failsafe configurations and re-calibrated the compass. Any ideas ?

Charlie.

Kilby

The turn is normal, that's something new they put in. It will only do that if you are a certain distance from home.. otherwise it just pulls straight back to you and lands. Not sure why it's not turning the motors off though. Sounds like it doesn't realize it's on the ground yet.

Thanks for that. I don't remember reading in the DJI manual ? what's the criteria for the turn ? I'll try the auto landing again, I aborted it in the previous RTH tests to avoid damage. Do I remember that the motors are supposed to stop if a certain angle is exceeded, it was upside down and the motors were running.

I think I prefer the old firmware.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
japp whats the point of the turning. If failsafe kicks in and its RTH there can be several reason for that. I dont want to bird nose in coming towards me adding one more complication to the already given equation.

Nice day for testing. Have done a few RTH, it always does the turn, I can't see the point of this manoeuvre but hey ho..The descent and landing are not as good as they used to be, it seems to descend in steps then when its a 0.5m off the ground it oscillates vertically by 0.2m then decides to land....It just not as definite as it used to be. I dont know if playing with the altitude gain will help.

Tomstoy2

Charlie, sounds like your z-axis cog needs to be revisited for the IMU.

You may be right about the oscillations.

Me, if the thing is going to turn, I would prefer it turned tail in to home. It's nerve wracking enough giving up control as it is without adding complications to it. That, and a nice steady, slow decent would be much appreciated.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Do you ever just feel like DJI and MK are just laughing at us? "Watch them spend thousands on our product and then we will change the firmware to mess with their feeble little minds." "HAHAHAHA!" or "RARARARARARA"

Tigar

Hi.
Mine after the update to 5.02 doesn't land. It comes home but hovers over home position. I left it about 4 min hovering.
Any way since it comes back it"s ok with me...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomstoy2

In my opinion, I feel DJI has done a very good job. Could it be better? Sure, Name one thing that couldn't.

I expect we will see something come from them soon, as they are probably experiencing the same thing with their s-800 test that others have reported here flying hl machines. It's just too hard to ignore now.
Same with gimbal tuning.

Look at it this way. If you have never owned an FY91Q nav system you have no concept what frustration with a manufacturer really is!

By the way, solar storm, another big one, hits us today for a few days. Be careful!

I agree, the DJI system, although expensive is by far the most sorted controller. I've used many others and they don't come close. I hope I can resolve the descent oscillation problem, maybe DJI tech support are tuning in to this and may offer some advice.

buddyrama

Hi.
Mine after the update to 5.02 doesn't land. It comes home but hovers over home position. I left it about 4 min hovering.
Any way since it comes back it"s ok with me...

Hi Be sure to read the new manual. there are new options to select/deselect in the 5.02 software now. There is an advanced failsafe section in the autopilot that allows for just hover instead of rth and land. READ up. :tennis: