RTH Crash Help Please

ghawkins

Hi there im in NZ and have a tarot 680 hex setup with a naza V2 system with GPS. I have the arrow of compass set to face forward as per manual, I don't semm to get TBE but yesterday I did a RTH test, it was a little windy id say round 10knts. the RTH amber light flashed as per normal it increased altitude and started its way back to me. however as it got closer it went of course id say by 10m and started to violently tilt and self correct and also yawed violently until it went out of control and crashed. I had not chance of saving it when it hit the deck it was actually inverted. can you help? I don't seem to get any TBE in GPS mode it holds fairly good apart from very slight TBE around 4 feet circle? was it the wind that started the death spin?

ghawkins

I was in GPS mode with flashing green led with all satellites as there were no red leds. I activated RTH with the two way switch I had set up. the failsafe activated fine and the amber leds were flashing

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hmmm. Unusual. Calibrate your compass again. Have you offset for Magnetic Declination? Odd that it makes its way home then goes crazy. All setup correctly in the assistant? (Don't just say yes, recheck against the manual to be sure)

Good luck!

ghawkins

yes had the 16 green flashes and all red sattilite leds went out so had found all sattilites.
on inspection at home ive discoverd one motor is burnt out now i dont know if it burnt out on impact as the prop did not break so unsure if it was cause of the crash. if a motor goes out in a hexcoptor will it cause it to go wildly out of control?

ghawkins

yes it is definatly is set up correct in assistant ive checked post crash and is still correct. it ilso strange how it went off course by 10 meters or so aswell before going out of control and right before i did the rth i had dome a home lock return and it was bang on course to home point. im unsure how to offset my gps so its set with arrow to front?

I thought the naza had a Fail systeem when you lose a motor/prop that you could fly it home when you trigger homelock. Yeah the arrow must point to the front. And search the web for the gps offset their are some good manuals on rcgroup of how to set it.

Great...

RobertsUp

I remaidend my craft yesterday with a new gps unit. It flew great. I grasped it and tried to pull it away and it fought me. The effort to pull it away was so much that it started shaking and I had to let go of it. It shot right back into the position it was before and stayed. It was windy. It sounds like you have a gps compass issue or a motor, or prop, is installed incorrectly. Or something is imbalanced. Gains may be set too low. Dunno. Trying CourseLock is a good suggestion. Be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Langdale

You say you had Home lock on, did you still have it on when it got nearer home? As far as I'm aware (and I've been wrong before) Homelock only works when the machine is over 10 mtrs away, nearer than that and strange things start to happen !!

Anyone know if RTH over rides Homelock?

SMP

Quick RTH question... Have never used the feature but being bored, I decided to test it on Naza Disco - It lifted 60 feet in the air as it was supposed to then immediately headed South towards China... Classic flyaway... Flipped out of RTH togged to manual, recovered and brought er back. When I landed after flight had a slow steady flashing yellow LED. Without reading the manual is this an LED that simply lets you know RTH was triggered at some point during the flight??

As to the no RTh - Will reflash FW and give er another run. Makes me nervous to ever try RTH on the rest of the birds...

Quick RTH question... Have never used the feature but being bored, I decided to test it on Naza Disco - It lifted 60 feet in the air as it was supposed to then immediately headed South towards China... Classic flyaway... Flipped out of RTH togged to manual, recovered and brought er back. When I landed after flight had a slow steady flashing yellow LED. Without reading the manual is this an LED that simply lets you know RTH was triggered at some point during the flight??

As to the no RTh - Will reflash FW and give er another run. Makes me nervous to ever try RTH on the rest of the birds...

What firmware were you flying with? I've never had a problem with mine not RTH. Worked from day one. I'm still on 5.22 and will be till after Wed.

ghawkins

yes it came directly back to me using home lock, that was a few minutes before I tried the RTH all in the same flight

ghawkins

no I used home lock previous to trying RTH, when I tried home lock it worked perfectly. so I switched home lock off and flew away again and then tried RTH it did all the things it was meant to but as it came back to me it was going off course. (weird as home lock test was perfect) and it was around 10 meters off course when it appeared to try and self correct tho im not sure. it started to yaw and tilt in really erratic ways and went out of control. by the time I flicked switch to man it was inverted hitting the deck.. I looked like it had been possessed the way it was reacting.

ghawkins

I don't have course lock setup only home lock. my dx7 only has one 3 way switch so that is set up to gps/att/man and one 2 way is set up for RTH/off and the other 2 way is Home lock/off

RobertsUp

Anyone know if RTH over rides Homelock?[/QUOTE said:
On my craft, RTH overides everything and all stick input is disabled. One has to either, 1. Stay calm and let RTH complete its mission entirely. Or, 2. Regain control by turning RTH off and then switching to ATTI or MAN. Then one can return to GPS mode. Turning RTH off then switching immediately to GPS mode won't return control. I had to experience a serious crash and spend downtime thinking about how I caused the crash. One has to think fast and instinctively know what to do and how to flip the switches in case something like a perceived flyaway begins.

RobertsUp

I don't have course lock setup only home lock. my dx7 only has one 3 way switch so that is set up to gps/att/man and one 2 way is set up for RTH/off and the other 2 way is Home lock/off

I think that's key. Course lock is more important than home lock. Home lock only resets your craft's position to a new location different from where it was when you first powered up the craft.

Some people have reset home point to be in midair and then played seeing what would happen.

Leave home point alone and work on what Course Lock means.

I think that's key. Course lock is more important than home lock. Home lock only resets your craft's position to a new location different from where it was when you first powered up the craft.

It will do that.. But it also allows you to fly based on your home position no matter which way the craft is oriented in the air so stick down would always be back to home no matter which way the craft is pointing. That is until you get within 10 meters of your home location in which case the craft will start to do weird things so slow down before you get to that point.