RTFQuads Mini 4-in-1 ESC help please

vinito

A very long time ago I purchased and received a 4-in-1 ESC from Ready To Fly Quads. From what I've seen, I'm probably lucky to have got it at all, but now that I have it, I'd like to know if I should move forward with it or punt for something better (easier?).

This thing is a bit of a "kit" as it has to be soldered a little. I'm good with the soldering as I get a lot of practice there and can pull of tricky stuff well enough, and this one doesn't seem like much for assembly really. What I am not sure about is once it's installed, whether the thing will work well or should I expect enough hassle that I should get something more proven, or what.

Here's a link:
http://www.readytoflyquads.com/rtf-mini-4-in-1-12-amp-35x35

It has 5-15-13 SimonK firmware it's rated for 12A and I'm running some Mars Power MX1804-2480KV motors with it. My build is going to be a light FPV fun flier, so if it's glitchy or problematic it won't be as fun. But since I already have it, I'll go ahead and use it if the consensus here is that this ESC should be OK. It's kind of cool since it's so small and light, but none of that is worth much if it doesn't fly well.

If it gets binned, I'd like to get a recommendation or few for something else which has a good reliability and flyability reputation. I'd still like to keep it small if possible (this one I have is 35x35). If it doesn't get binned, how do you set it up (options and such for the firmware). If the firmware is the biggest problem, then I have an Atmel programmer if that would be the thing I need to change it, but of course that's a whole 'nuther can o' worms.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help or advice.

edit to add:
I just yesterday ordered a couple inexpensive (ebay) sets of 4 individual 12A ESC with BLheli firmware installed. I'm not sure whether they would be any better than the 4-in-1 but they might be more reliable? So I'll have three ways to choose from once they arrive. I remember back in the day, simonk was the thing to use but seems like folks started liking BLheli better for whatever reason. Any advice here is appreciated.