Rotor Blades won't turn.

jowens5

I have just recieved a new Drone for Christmas. I attempted to fly it for the first time having never done this before. It flew ok. After a while, one of the rotors stopped spinning. Now a second rotor has stopped spinning. The other two seem to work just fine. Any suggestions or solutions to get the rotors working again? Thanks for the help.

I have a Dromida Ominus FPV.

F

fengshuidrone

I see it is a gear drive using brushed motors. Check for hair and debris in the gearing and around the motor shaft. Failure to keep these mechanisms clean will slow and even stop rotation. Also, it is really not much more than a toy to begin with that is made in China to end with. I wouldn't be surprised at something like motor, flight controller, or even TX failure. They don't care if what they sell you lasts. They sell more when they break.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Actually, the Ominus from Dromida is a lot better than your standard shipped-from-China quad. I had one and flew it around quite a bit before passing it along to a friend of mine.

Hair and carpet fibers will get in there but also, if the heli has been crashed around the house then the props could have been pushed too far onto the motor shafts. Try gripping the props and pulling on them as if you're trying to remove them but only pull them enough to unbind the motors.

F

fengshuidrone

Actually, the Ominus from Dromida is a lot better than your standard shipped-from-China quad. I had one and flew it around quite a bit before passing it along to a friend of mine.
Yeah, I don't claim to know all about that particular model. I can't help but lump all those Chinese "Clone Drone's" (I think I just made that up) into the same category of little to no quality control as all the rest. Any time I see a TX with basically the same controls and plastic casing that looks sort of low quality that looks and does the same thing as my $20.00 mini quad TX that has issues like backlights that work when they want, and buttons that occasionally operate without being used, you know, little QC issues, I tend to see the same sorta junky thing that I own. I still fly it around the house every now and then for a laugh. Hey, I was just letting him know what we all should know. Some of this stuff is only so so. You (Bartman) might have gotten one with no glitches. That's how bad QC creeps up to really bad levels over time. Random sampling on production lines can let hundreds of bad units go by and the sampled one is one of the few good ones that went down the line since the last random sample was done 6 hours before. I used to do QC for a living and have experienced this right here in America where QC is supposedly practiced. **** happenso_O A lot of **** happens in China.

Bartman

Dromida is a Hobbico brand and as such they have oversight, great parts availability, and much better QC than a no-name brand shipping direct from China.

@jowens5 , please let us know if anything that you did was able to make it better.

F

fengshuidrone

I'm not trying to step on any of your current or past advertisers, it's just my opinion of anything from china, brand name or not. You are a pilot. Would you trust your life to a plane engineered and built in China? If yes, you have more trust in that stuff than I am capable of having. I personally never fly anywhere. On any plane. I don't like them.o_O
I have my own deep personal reasons and experiences to distrust anything made in China, so that is just the way I am. Nothing personal to the Chinese people, just their quality systems suck.
From the complaint of this member I can see that Dromida might have some quality issues as well or it would have never been posted. The props being pushed down in accidents would be a quality issue that needs addressed in my book. But all this re engineering stuff is expensive to fix so it just stays that way to keep the product cheap.

Last edited:

Bartman

Hobbico is a sponsor and I understand the tendency for forums members to assume that advertisers are automatically given preferential treatment but I did the Ominus review a little over a year ago, there isn't any obligation for me to continue promoting it. There was really never any obligation to promote it. In fact I only talk about it because I actually liked it and have let a lot of other people fly it since the review.

F

fengshuidrone

OK, back on subject I was only trying to help him out with some honest opinions. I always feel like I should not do too much of that anymore for fear of impinging on someones favorite model. I feel as though I should only give facts if I know them and refrain from any personal opinion. I seem to get a bad vibe in these forums when I say anything bad about DJI or China. I am thinking about just having you pull my account here because I don't feel welcome anymore and really won't miss you guys and you won't miss me. So Bartman, I am formally requesting to withdraw my account, please. Drop me an e-mail to let me know when I'm gone officially.

Last edited:

Bartman

I feel as though I should only give facts if I know them and refrain from any personal opinion.

sticking to the facts is how we maintain a friendly and informative environment here. when everyone starts injecting bias and prejudices the conversations become combative and the mood sours. opinions are fine but when they're offered without even having any experience with a particular product then they're not really helpful and will actually detract from the conversation.

i'll delete your account right now, best of luck to you with whatever you do.

jowens5

Bartman, pulling the rotors did not work. How can I test the motor to see if it still works? I have an idea but just wanted to see what you suggest. Thanks.

Bartman

i suppose if you wanted to open up the heli and desolder motor wires you could come up with a scheme to figure out which motors work and which ones don't. what did you have in mind?

how many hours are on that helicopter? were you in the habit of bringing the power to zero before hitting things? if the motors are being powered as the heli is flying into a wall or something then they'll get damaged

jowens5

On my way home I saw a sign for a hobby shop. I stopped in and they took a look at it. Twould of the rotor motors were bad. We replaced them and it worked great. Thanks for your help and advice.