Ronin m. What do you guys think for aerial?

maxwelltub

To soon to say, probably has the same issues as the other ronin for aerial. They said the classic, "will fix with future firmware". I wouldn't buy this for aerial until I've seen it proven to work in the air.

maxwelltub

ya roll drift is a popular issue, if you don't have a gps talking to it. I've heard the ronin roll issues described by a few people as "horrible"

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Yup, Ronin roll drift is awful when it's airborne. Coupled with the heavy weight... yeah, ours is grounded.

Does the M have GPS? I haven't seen.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Movi roll drift is horrendous too....if you dont allow the GPS to lock! I have to say I am surprised that DJI haven't made this properly useable under a copter out of the box. Seems like a big mistake.

Old Man

I have been under the impression DJI links their gimbals controllers to their FC's for data exchange, using the GPS to smooth things out. Yes/no?

maxwelltub

Ya the zenmuse series does talk to the gps, the ronin series does not. There have been rumors that gps data could be feed through the light bridge port but this seems highly unlikely to me. Although got to say my gh2 zenmuse rolls more now then it used to. And after reading about peoples experience with the new zens I don't want to spend the money on another one. I have had some amazing results with the movi, also not so amazing results. It had a longer learning curve to get it to function, but when we figured it out it seems to be the best for sure.

econfly

Apart from DJI's Zens and the M5 is there a gimbal out there that has GPS capability? Obviously the Alexmos and Phobotic controllers are not using GPS to control drift, but lots of people use them.

I'm in the market for something new. Buying yet another dedicated Zen is not appealing. For adjustable and apparently high quality options we have this Ronin-M, the Defy G2X, and the M5 -- all coming in at about 5 pounds, and only the M5 has GPS from what I can tell.

econfly

While we are on the topic -- can someone explain how GPS can contribute to less roll drift? I'm not sure I get it.

maxwelltub

Think about a cup of water that you slide quickly across a table. The inertia causes it to loss a steady horizon. Gps helps anticipate that movement and counter it before it's a problem. That's my understanding, but even with gps it's still an issue sometimes. It's more of an issue on multitrotors because of fast flight in many orientations. I used a defy once on the ground and hardly held together. I mean literally the top handle fell off. I'm on the way to NAB now so will report back tomorrow. In my personal experience movi is the best option by far, short of having a machine shop and good engineering skills.

econfly

Yes, here is my expanded list of options at about 5 pounds or less:

MŌVI M5
DJI Ronin-M
Defy G2X
Gremsy gStabi H6

I don't see an all steady option in this weight class.