Roll your own

Burntpixel

I have been purchasing parts from various places in order to build a Phantom on my own. I am doing this to learn more about how these things work. I have everything except the Naza-M.

Parts costs as follows.

$96.00 for 4 motors

$72.00 for 4 ESC

$60.00 MC and LED boards

$50.00 Phantom shell

$100.00 TX and RX (Phantom)

$11.00 Landing skids and compass with cable.

$150.00 GPS

Total without props,Naza-M,Battery and charger. $539.00 :upset:

The Naza-M can go anywhere from 150 to 250 depending on the vendor. So, no cost savings in building one on your own,it is more expensive to build it yourself,but the lessons learned while building one can help when you step up to the next level UAV. :friendly_wink:

. View attachment 12348

Attachments

• P6120001_zpsa3496f40.jpg
    P6120001_zpsa3496f40.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 282
Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

This makes you think real hard about building. It also makes me wonder about DJI's marketing strategy. Design an "entry level" multirotor that's cheaper than one that could be built from scratch. Transmitter, receiver, flight system, battery, ESC, motors, frame, etc. all in a ready to fly package?? How can you beat it.

Plus they did all the detailed R&D, engineering etc. and made allowance for a strong future migration path so you can easily upgrade the motors to some degree without requiring esc replacement etc. as well as increase the prop diameters slightly as well...... then you can buy motor arm extenders to go even further beyond that. That is the formula for MR addiction...... next thing you know you are flying a $10 to $20k system c/w $3000 camera!!!