Robbe Roxxy 2827-35 motors?

Helijib

Hi Folks,
Been flying with a new Hex the past few days. Noticing the poor motors get very hot after a 6-7 minute flight. The whole point of this setup is to shoot video. I have a nice light Averticalview gimbal and was lifting a gopro. It flies great but the heat worries me.

- The frame is a Xaircraft Hex
- The total weight of the machine is about 4-5 lbs, closer to five lbs.
- The motors are robbe roxxy 2827-35
- Turnigy Plush 30 amp esc's
- Props are apc 10x4.7
- Turnigy 2650 4s packs X2

The esc's even get a bit warm...
But the motors get very hot.

Wondering what you guys think about the motors and how hot today's motors should really get?

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Tomstoy2

I'm flying the same frame at about the same weight, but with different motors, MT2216-900kv's, and 30a esc's, 4s 5000mah 30c Turnigy battery. Never had a heat problem, barely warm.
However, I would suggest going down to 8 inch props first before changing anything else.
Mine flys sooo much better with 8 inch.

Speaking of battery's, I wouldn't attempt anything under 30c. If you can't draw what you need, over-heating can also happen.

Just did a check on your motors,,,,, Honestly, I think the motors are too small for the weight. I've have included a link below to the ecalculator. I haven't done it, but would highly recommend you plug in your data into it and see what it tells you.

http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm

Also included a link to my motors for comparison.

http://www.clubheli.com/Tiger-Motors-MT-2216-900KV_p_3582.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Helijib

Thanks Tomstoy2...
Appreciate the feedback.
The Turnigy packs I'm using are 20-30c
2650 packs.
I hope I don't have to swap out motors or battery packs.

Hoping the 8 inch props will do the trick.

Helijib

Tomstoy2,
Wondering why and how your machine is flying so much better with the 8 inch props? Where are you seeing a difference?

And what pitch are your 8 inchers?
Thanks!!

Tomstoy2

I started with 9x4.5 APC's, as I heard 10" was too much prop.
The problem being is how close the blades come to each other, wash from one affects the other. It flew, what I thought then, pretty damn well.
Later, I went to some old 8" Gaui props, same pitch and the difference was incredable. It became super stable. I'm not very interrested in sport flying with this ship, only video. I have a f450 for sport and fpv training.
Now I'm waiting on a set of 8x5 Graupners to try out. The Gaui's are soft and flex in the air. I expect quite a difference with the Graupners, should make it even more stable.

The battery difference between 20-30c and 30-40c is the ability to deliver to the motors what they need to draw. Think of c-rating like a fuel line for your car. If the motors can't get what they need they will heat up.

The difference in the motors is deffinately the power. The Tigers I am using have twice the power what you have on the Robbe's. I'm afraid the Robbe's are working way too hard to lift the weight you are lifting.
A quick, no cost way to check this is to remove your gimbal, camera and one battery and then fly is stripped, You'll probably find the motors don't get near as hot.