Rimcopters

simplyfly

I have been messing around with multi rotor design, and came up with some designs that I think are quite unique and innovative.

The designs both use extruded aluminum frames, commonly known as bicycle rims. In this case I am using a Mavic 700c M319 disc rim.

The disc rim has an overall weight (505g) mostly due to the use of 6061 alloy and the lack of a metallic braking surface. Most 700c road rims are used with clincher style brakes, which require more metal, or they crush the rim.

For those of you looking to make one of these, try to find a rim that is intended for disc brakes, or is made of lightweight material. Steel rims are obviously not going to work.... carbon rims can be had.

The ring has an interesting set of advantages over other type of muti rotor frames. The most striking is the simplicity of it. A single component. Elegant.

A quick look at the weight and component count of most multi's in the + 500mm size shows that the rim weights less, and has a greater overall integrity than any other frame I have seen to date.

I am not an expert, and have only a limited experience with multi rotors. I am not claiming anything which I have not observed or tested myself. the truth is, hands down, the ring is the finest, most responsive, best behaved multi I have ever flown.

The purpose of this thread is to inspire some of you to try this design. If possible, I would appreciate it if the topic was to stick to rim style multi rotors. I know there are a few other folks who have been messing with rims, and hoops and carbon rings.... I am almost certain that this ring will impress any multi rotor fan.

If there is a single detraction, a flaw that I have missed... please share !

I contend that the ring offers the simplest, most versatile, highest performance frame available. For $40 it will be very hard to beat.

The Multi Ring.

I am calling this design the Multi ring, for lack of a better name. The ring is a multi.. and has multiple configurations. Due to the nature of the frame, the multi ring can be changed from X quad to flat hex to Y6 hex to octo and beyond.. with out any additional modification to the frame.

The motor mounts I use allow me to simply loosen the bottom plate, and slide th motor to its new location. The base plate for the motor is an x mount adapter, and allows for coaxial motor placement.

In my build, I decided to use dual quattro 25A ESC's, offering built in redundancy for quad and hex, with the option of Octo. The quatto ESC greatly reduce the complication of power distribution, making a very clean looking build.

For this design I selected the 42/15 650Kv motor from RCX on 15" prop / 4s
of course, many of you will already have motors / speed controllers. this is just what I choose to use.

No matter the motor you choose, the frame will accommodate upto a 17" prop.

For mounting the motor, I choose to use 25mm CF tubes, clamps and CF plates.

Rimcopters come in a few flavors... the original unbroken rim, or the "ARCx" which is a rim cut in half, or third's

Cutting the rim allows you to make it fold, for portability, as well as make the rim larger, by extending CF tubes from the rim.

here are some photos .... feel free to ask any questions... and please, feel free to build your own!!!

Attachments

• Rimcopter original.jpg
    Rimcopter original.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 644
  • P1020073.jpg
    P1020073.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 734
  • ARCx8 f.jpg
    ARCx8 f.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 627

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I was super interested in making the ring idea work in the past few years and never really got on it. kept concluding it weighed more because it needed more wire and would have issues carrying a gimbal without a bunch of extra stuff in the middle. But I can honestly say I never thought to use a bicycle rim! Brilliant. I think that the fact it is something different is what really attracted me to this. And different it is. Keep it up. Looks awesome. Maybe there will be a business for recycled UAV's in the near future.

Simspeed

Hi Simplyfly....great design and execution. I love ingenuity. The ring idea intrigued me too a couple of years ago. Here is one of the rim motor designs I came up with that used an offset X8 configuration. The scimitar props are my design drawn at 15". The diagonal center on the motors is 692 mm. I don't think I ever calculated the weight but it would be a pretty light rig if the frame held together.

View attachment 17413View attachment 17414View attachment 17415View attachment 17416
Here's an overlay of the prop circles for the offset upper and lower quad sections. Has anyone flown a configuration like this? Any ideas on whether or not it would work and if there'd be any benefit at all other than smaller overall diameter of the copter?
View attachment 17418

Attachments

• Ring Frame 01.JPG
    Ring Frame 01.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 371
  • Ring Frame 02.JPG
    Ring Frame 02.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 482
  • Ring Frame 03.JPG
    Ring Frame 03.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 266
  • Ring Frame 04.JPG
    Ring Frame 04.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Ring Frame 05.JPG
    Ring Frame 05.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 398
Last edited by a moderator:

simplyfly

awesome! you basically had it... the rim definitely holds together... and weighs about 450g

I really like the dome looks wicked!

I have a few ways of mounting the center plates... spokes work well, carbon or alloy tubes... or just cut the rim, and fold it...

Simspeed... will you make a rimcopter?

I know a guy named Jay ( http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/octo-x-bicycle-wheel-design-2?commentId=705844:Comment:1453789) who used that config, on a rim... I think it worked out alright.

I can imagine that the prop overlap could cause some loss of efficiency...

simplyfly

yes, i saw that awhile ago... actually, I emailed him right away... he was not so very interested.

I guess in the end, the bike rim, being so available and inexpensive despite its low weight and rigidity, is more available to the masses ;)

That's my favorite part of this design... the global availability of the frame which is uber strong, super light, and the price is right.... oh, and it come's fully assembled...

Why reinvent the wheel?

Simspeed

Here are some rim rotor designs I was playing around with some time ago. ABS plate was what I figured to use for the frame components. The prop was just a fanciful idea. I too saw the video about the ABL Ring rig right after he first posted it. Looked like a lot of fun. I really like the bike rim frames you've put together Simplyfly. It's a good idea for a cheap frame with a little ingenuity to put it all together. Keep up the good work.

View attachment 17425View attachment 17426View attachment 17427View attachment 17428View attachment 17429View attachment 17430View attachment 17431

Attachments

• Quadcopter-2.jpg
    Quadcopter-2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 291
  • Quadcopter-3.jpg
    Quadcopter-3.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 300
  • Quadcopter-4.jpg
    Quadcopter-4.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 390
  • Quadcopter-5.jpg
    Quadcopter-5.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 359
  • Quadcopter-6.jpg
    Quadcopter-6.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 494
  • Quadcopter-7.jpg
    Quadcopter-7.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 379
  • Terry's Design Quadcopter.jpg
    Terry's Design Quadcopter.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 423

simplyfly

Very creative Simspeed!

I like !

the rims are fun, its true,
and I am happy to share what doesn't cost me money ;)

The Y6 and staked 8 designs are really fun... they are still new to me, and I am always waiting for parts!!!!

looking forward to a summer of rimcopters and FPV / AP !!!