Ridiculous Proposal Courtesy of California

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
What happened to the good old days when California meant beautiful women, a new career option for Sean Penn, and lyrical material for genius songwriters like Randy Newman ???

From CBS Los Angeles :(
Drone Legislation Would Require Owners To Buy Insurance, Get UAV ‘License Plates’

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A Southern California lawmaker is pushing legislation to require drone owners to purchase insurance policies for their vehicle.

Assemblyman Mike Gatto this week introduced the Drone Registration/Omnibus Negligence-prevention Enactment (DRONE) Act of 2016, which would hold owners responsible for registering and obtaining physical or electronic “license plates” for drones.

“If cars have license plates and insurance, drones should have the equivalent, so they can be properly identified, and owners can be held financially responsible, whenever injuries, interference, or property damage occurs,” Gatto said.

The bill would also require “inexpensive” insurance policies to be bought at the point of sale – which, according to Gatto, would be about a dollar “or so” – similar to how the California Redemption Value (CRV) tax is collected with the purchase of bottles and cans.

Under the DRONE Act, all drones would be required to be equipped with GPS capability and automatic shut-off technology that would activate upon any drone’s approach to an airport – a technology that Gatto says already exists and is “critical to protecting commercial passenger flights.”

Gatto, who serves as the chairman of the Assembly’s Utilities & Commerce Committee, said several incidents in 2015 involving drones have demonstrated that lawmakers must prepare for “the reality that hundreds of thousands of plastic and metal vehicles will be overhead in the years to come.”

“One could imagine the auto industry balking at the idea of registration requirements at the turn-of-the-century, but the industry survived,” explained Gatto. “As technology evolves, so must our laws in order to protect our citizenry. This is a sensible measure that will increase public safety and encourage responsible use of drones in California.”

Gatto represents the 43rd District, which includes the cities of Los Angeles, Glendale and Burbank.

Old Man

I could tell you what happened to initiate it but I'd be called a racist within seconds of doing so. The second part has a lot to do with vacuous minded movie stars, with the third all about greed.

Old Man

John,

I wonder if that is really true. Every time I speak with people at home none of them fess up to voting for people sitting in the state capital. I'm sure some did but the percentage that will admit to it is just not high enough to have carried the vote. Who's really counting the ballots, and how are they counted? It does not make any sense that a lot of the things that have been taking California down the path it has been was done by the vote, or will, of the people. Nobody votes to have someone else take and spend more or their money, give it away to people that don't belong there, provide educations to people for less they get charged for their own kids, and put themselves out of work by driving the better paying employers out of state.

I've had family members that have done temp work at California polling places and they've seen people come in and vote 3 or more times using different names. When that information was given to managers of the polling places it didn't go anywhere and no action was taken to prevent further incidents of the type from happening. A friend owns some drug stores in your general area and he has people come in cashing welfare checks under two to three different last names, and have a legal ID for each.

Sorry to shift this in a political direction, we'll go back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Please have your friend video tape and post this rampant welfare and voter fraud. And why is he cashing checks for these people?

violetwolf

My god.

I'm Canadian so I don't have first hand into but didn't Al Gore win the popular vote yet still was not allowed to be president?

Re Welfare Fraud: similar issues up here... I've heard of people collecting checks from several province under assumed names. Taking Greyhound buses across the country cashing dozens of checks.

Al Gore winning the popular vote but losing the election is easily explained and even makes sense when you understand it although on the surface it may seem wrong. Don't forget that appointed bureaucrats also make policy that's basically accepted as law and they were never elected.

Old Man

Please have your friend video tape and post this rampant welfare and voter fraud. And why is he cashing checks for these people?

He has to cash them. When provided legal ID in a store that accepts payments from the Feds and state for Medical and other medical insurance he is bound by a bunch of legalities. He has reported the fraud at state levels many times, with no apparent action from the state.

Bartman

ok folks, let's move along please. politics isn't welcome here even if it is California we're talking about

Av8Chuck

What DJI was doing on the committee for registration and what they are doing with GEO fencing is political. What the FAA is doing is political. Same goes for organizations who claim to help this hobby, like the AMA and Small Drone Coalition, its all political.

Old Man

Yep, rejection of politics is acceptance of the trend politics is taking any given subject. DJI, in conjunction with AirMap, have just effectively appointed themselves as the government accepted caretaker of U.S. airspace and flight safety management. All without anyone firing a political shot across their bow. It's political collusion on a massive scale. Wait until we see what falls out from the next AUVSI meeting in May.

Ccard

That legislation proposal is certainly not well thought out!
It seems more like an attempt to get ones name associated with a piece of legislation.
Thanks to the FAA's trampling of the section 336 everyone that this 'Mike Gatto' is worried about already has a license plate, after a fashion.
The use of the term "drones" in this context is broad & ambiguous. The FAA uses SUAS.
Imagine "drones" falling out of the air because of GPS glitches.
How would it help the case for safety if ones "drone" was a sailplane?
I think the insurance think is a wank too. The "drones" , used for recreation, are more equivalent to bicycles or pedal equipped e-bikes not automobiles.

Although I'm from Canada and this wouldn't directly affect me...not right away... It would set a terrible precedent and be the ruin for a great many.

You people suck. I come here to read/learn about MR and RC stuff, and I have to sit here and listen to this libertarian, right wing banter. Jesus f-ing Christ, what's next? Just waiting now for this Old Man and his clueless RW brethren to go on about the coming takeover by the "blue helmets" and the black helicopters.

This is CLASSIC RW paranoia at its best.

Bartman

You people suck. I come here to read/learn about MR and RC stuff, and I have to sit here and listen to this libertarian, right wing banter. Jesus f-ing Christ, what's next? Just waiting now for this Old Man and his clueless RW brethren to go on about the coming takeover by the "blue helmets" and the black helicopters.

This is CLASSIC RW paranoia at its best.
exactly why i asked that it not go on.

Old Man

I suppose I'll run off and clean all my guns and polish up the tin foil hat. Perhaps tidy up the underground bunker and check the diversity in the survival foods. Keeping that aged inventory rotating out can be a monumental task but it does give some of those drug crazed homeless people something to look forward to...

Bartman

Sigh_Facepalm_____by_Ghost1334652.jpg