Return to home Failsafe programming? and quick question on Gains.

Cswann821

One thing I wanted to ask, was about the Fail Safe setting (return to home) on the Naza. I've watched some videos online where people will sacrifice their "Manual" Switch position for failsafe, OR there is also a method were they can program the Failsafe on their TX so that the naza will swith to "Fail safe mode" When the TX is turned off.
I plan to fly in manual, so I would like to do the TX powerdown method to get into failsafe. The thing is, of the video's Ive watched, the Tx's used have their own Failsafe setting/menu. My Futaba T9CH does not, at least not in PPM mode which I need to usei flying 2.4ghz. Is there a way to mix this feature in to work with another switch on my TX?

I did notice while playing in the NAZA software, that when I do in fact turn my radio off, Naza moves to the FailSafe position between Manual and . This should mean I am good to go right??

Can someone explain to me what the Gains are doing and how they should effect flight?

Thanks,
Chris

atpfilms

Chris -
I just did a build and have been working with the gains. I'm a newb, but from what I've been able to gather - and I'll try to put this as simply as possible - the 'basic' gains deal with the overall throttle level of the copter needed for the size of motors and the weight of the copter being lifted for stable flying. If your basic gains are too low, the copter will be very hard to control and want to drift a lot (can verify this as I just went way low with my basic gains today to see what would happen). If your basic gains are too high, the copter will become unstable, but in a different way. It will begin to oscillate in the air. Now, again, not totally sure about this, and I'm sure there are some very experienced people who can give you a better explanation, but it seems like the atti gains will affect the responsiveness of your copter in relation to the movement of your sticks. i.e., if you want slower reaction, you set your atti gains lower. Proper way to set the basic gains is to push them up to where the copter becomes unstable and begins to jerk in the air then go just lower where it stops. There are a few youtube videos where people are testing their gains and explaining their purposes.
Hope this helps!

One thing I wanted to ask, was about the Fail Safe setting ,,,,,,,,
I plan to fly in manual, so I would like to do the TX powerdown method to get into failsafe.
Thanks,
Chris

Chris,
Of course it is your copter and your money but,,, please rethink turning off your Tx to activate the failsafe.
This is a mechanical toy with the ability to inflict massive damage to body and property.
They occasionally fail to perform as they are supposed to.
Consider for a moment that you turn off your transmitter and it starts it trip home but looses it's way
and starts heading off to China or a playground full of kids.
You scramble to turn on your radio and reacquire a connection which, between power down and power up, can take as long as 10 seconds for some transmitters. Whoops. Too late.
It is too far gone in it's direction to correct and 8 seconds into the reacquisition, it slams into a car windshield on a nearby street, or a swing set full of happy little kids or the crowd of people you were trying to impress with your new toy. It ain't gonna be pretty.
Consider finding a switch (gear switch or throttle hold) and using that to activate your failsafe.
On my Spektrum I use the Throttle Hold switch and it works great.
Just an opinion.