Researching the "Legal side" of multi-rotor use

OK......I'm hooked on it........love the fun & freedom (always loved to fly...just couldn't always afford it).

So....NOW....I wanna see if I can make the hobby "pay for itself"...but....I hear Big Brother is cracking down.

The FAA site is kinna "Vague" on UAV/UAS use aside from "NO!"

are tehre ANY other sources of info for the US & use aside from the guys that ARE doing it? I've written a few with simple questions....and so far....NO ONE has answered in ANY manner.

Thank in advance for ANY hints.

Keep on flyin!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The official FAA position is that you can fly for hobby purposes as much as you want, as soon as you receive compensation for it you are in violation of their policy. There are many differing opinions on the subject and just as many intepretations, the bottom line is theirs is the only one that actually counts since they make the rules.

Many people have been on the receiving end of cease and desist letters from the FAA regarding commercial use for APV though as far as I know no one has actually been taken to court over it.

I think you will find very few people willing to openly talk about commercial sUAS operations as a business with good reason. Whatever you choose to do is up to you, but I wouldn't quit my day job just yet for a career doing APV with multirotors.

Ken

The official FAA position is that you can fly for hobby purposes as much as you want, as soon as you receive compensation for it you are in violation of their policy. There are many differing opinions on the subject and just as many intepretations, the bottom line is theirs is the only one that actually counts since they make the rules.

Many people have been on the receiving end of cease and desist letters from the FAA regarding commercial use for APV though as far as I know no one has actually been taken to court over it.

I think you will find very few people willing to openly talk about commercial sUAS operations as a business with good reason. Whatever you choose to do is up to you, but I wouldn't quit my day job just yet for a career doing APV with multirotors.

Ken
Gotcha....I suspected as much!

Nuff said!

Just to add further clarity... This FAA position is supposedly temporary until they start granting commercial licenses which is supposed to start in 2014. They aren't even accepting applications either, so it isn't like you can get in the queue either.

I've seen "hints" to this...but...nothing in clear language. I can almost agree that with "Commercial" UAS traffic....a certain amount of professionalism & accountability SHOULD be needed. (Insurance, logs....).

I'm kind of surprised we don't have "transponder technology" coming out for UAV/UAS units.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I've seen "hints" to this...but...nothing in clear language. I can almost agree that with "Commercial" UAS traffic....a certain amount of professionalism & accountability SHOULD be needed. (Insurance, logs....).

I'm kind of surprised we don't have "transponder technology" coming out for UAV/UAS units.

In the final regulations you will most likely see a transponder requirement as well as aircraft registration/pilot licensing of some form for anything that exceeds 400 feet in altitude as well as flying beyond line of sight, or in other words any remotely piloted aircraft that can potentially be in the same airspace as full size aircraft. Some form of see and avoid technology will need to be onboard to prevent collisions, while something the size of the military's Predator is big enough for a pilot to see at altitude, a Skyjib octo might not be obvious until it's too late to avoid. I don't see the smaller craft we use being authorized for use in the NAS without some fairly comprehensive rules regarding the where, when, and how, it's really just common sense that this be the case to prevent mishaps between RC craft and full scale but then again common sense seems to be lacking in a lot of areas these days... ;)

Ken

Agreed. However, we are talking about two separate subjects when it comes to the FAA's future plans. One is certification of the operator and/or aircraft, which is currently occurring and being granted to government agencies and educational institutions, with certification for commercial operators coming in 2014. These are being granted and operators just have to follow the existing rules of <400ft and >3mi from airport. The subject of aircraft within the NAS is a separate one, and I am sure, as RTRyder pointed out, over the next few years we will be seeing those developed, and presumably those rules would be enforced for all licenses (government, educational, or commercial).

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
We have a local industry web directory for people in the production trade. it's called the ReelDirectory. Not sure if it is national or not. But there are 2 or 3 helicam services advertising in there. They don't get hassled. I know of a good handful of people that do make money on this, as do we all. My personal opinion is that you just don't ask, don;t tell and don;t do anything F'in stupid that puts all of us in jeopardy. Get permission, talk to everyone in your flight path, fly closed courses, don't crash! Insurance probably isn't gonna cover you.

again....wise words! I've had my fair share of "on the edge services" when I had a fabricating company in Chicago & we "rebuilt/repaired" crane booms. (not for the weak of heart/under insured or...meager of documentation). CYA!!!

Thank you!!