Researching a Gimbal for a BMPCC (t810).

Old Man

I was looking at that and following a thread about it elsewhere. It's still got a few issues yet based upon user reports.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I'm currently looking for a gimbal to sling a Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera from my t810. I also have a GoPro Hero 3 so I'm in a bit of a quandry. Should I buy a quality GoPro gimbal or cheaper gimbal for the BMPCC? I've noticed most gimbals typically go for $1,000 + so I'm a little skeptical of the cheaper ones like this Ipower or this DYS. I've looked for reviews but I haven't had any luck. Does anyone have any experience with either of these gimbals? At the moment I have around a $350 budget and I'm aware that means I don't have many options

I have a bit of experience with gimbals in the mid price range. I have 8 cameras and quads, a hex, and x8. Multiple Alexmos 8 bit, Alexmos 32bit, and the Centerpiece based gimbals. Lots of failures and experimenting, but now have a few things I'm happy with. In hindsight, I might have spent more time and money than just going out and buying a high end gimbal. That being said, I have some things working pretty good right now.

IMO, you are correct in your skepticism on that the Ipower and DYS you linked. Those are for smaller camera's than the BMPC. The BMPC is sort of an in-between camera. It's footprint is smaller than the Gh2/GH3/GH4 or small DSLR cameras but it is a bit heavier than the NEX sized camera gimbals.

I have been experimenting with a couple different gimbals for my BMPC which has mostly been on the shelf collecting dust, trying to find something lighter to fly.

My suggestion to you is to figure out a way to get some more $$ for a gimbal or go with a gimbal that fits your budget and go with a lighter camera like the NEX. My other suggestion, if you don't have the BMPC, wait for the new Black Magic aerial camera and see if there is a lighter, less expensive gimbal for that (probably later in the year for a working system). It has a weight of 10 oz or so plus battery and lens. There is a chance it could work on one of the lighter/cheaper gimbals. Not my recommendation, but a possibility.

Since you have a a mid size MR, and you want to fly the BMPC (which has better quality than many cameras, just no 60p), I'm going to make an assumption that you are more than a entry level enthusiast or possibly starting up a small business. If I'm correct, save yourself a lot of time and go with at least a budget of $900-$1400. Right now, your $350 budget is not adequate for you MR and Camera choices from a quality perspective. The old weakest link in the chain thing.... Good luck.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I think this will change, and primarily because we are seeing better cameras in smaller sizes. The GH4 has only been out a year. Just this week the BlackMagic micro was announced, and even the very high end makers are realizing that there is a demand for quality in smaller sizes for aerial work.

It's no longer a choice between a small consumer camera with middling quality and a big professional camera that takes a huge rig to lift. And this will only get better. Hopefully that will create a demand for high quality smaller gimbals.

Problems aside, DJI probably is best positioned to enter this market. If they take their Ronin-M, reduce it to the necessary elements for flying, add the connection to their flight controllers to get the performance they offer in the big Zens, etc., then at least most of the problem is solved. This is what the market really needs -- basically the cost/performance of a Zen with easy adjustability and tuning for different cameras.

I agree with the thoughts and ideas of what many of you are writing here. Econofly, I think you and I are in search of the similar gimbal qualities.

Thoughts on the DJI and and additional a Zenmuse type solutions are a bit different. I'm not interested in a one size only gimbal. Maybe last year or so, but the controllers & gimbals are getting better as are cameras getting better and smaller. One size fits all only works if you plan on 1 camera and 1 lens for a long time.

The other problem is service. U.S. service is extremely slow. 1st hand experience on my twice failed Inspire, (and backed up by many forum posts) but I won't go into that here, other than to say it's ridiculous to have a new product fail 2 times and then be quoted 5-6 weeks turn around time after they get it back and now it's even longer as they ship more product. 8 billion dollar companies have to be better than that. People that pay $1,000 + for products expect and deserve solid quality on launch and faster service when their are problems. Both things DJI will have to improve significantly IMO, or at least before they get any more of my $$.

So, for the DJI Zenmuse solution, I can't fathom a reason to go that route other than if you are filthy rich or you never change camera's or lens and fly DJI FC's.

econfly

So, for the DJI Zenmuse solution, I can't fathom a reason to go that route other than if you are filthy rich or you never change camera's or lens and fly DJI FC's.

The argument for the Zen (despite the negatives) is actually price. For under $4K you can get an S900/Zen package with flight controller to fly the BMPCC (the Zenmuse gimbal alone is $2500 but you need a DJI flight controller to use it). Sure, the gimbal is limited but, on the plus side, nothing can beat the results for the price. It comes down to how much one values the footage here and now. Next year the Zen/BMPCC may be outdated and near worthless, but the combination is a solid option available today that works (usual caveat: assuming you get one that works).

Alternatives? Well, you can fly a MōVI and get similar results. But the rig to fly the MōVI will cost somewhere around $5K or more all by itself. Add another $4K for the M5. I've been looking into it and I can't see a viable way to get an M5 in the air with the kind of quality and reliability I would want for under $10K including the M5.

Cheaper options exist, but as we are discussing here it is not trivial to find that ideal adjustable BMPCC/GH4 sized gimbal and get it working well. The upcoming H3 from Gremsy might be the affordable and light-weight winner for a BMPCC sized camera. They are saying it will be out in July.

Just recently there were some posts here on a new nice looking CP/Alexmos option:

http://www.multirotorforums.com/thr...rmance-gimbal-for-gh4-a7s-size-cameras.24789/

Could be a viable alternative as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
Cheaper options exist, but as we are discussing here it is not trivial to find that ideal adjustable BMPCC/GH4 sized gimbal and get it working well. The upcoming H3 from Gremsy might be the affordable and light-weight winner for a BMPCC sized camera. They are saying it will be out by June.

Just recently there were some posts here on a new nice looking CP/Alexmos option:

http://www.multirotorforums.com/thr...rmance-gimbal-for-gh4-a7s-size-cameras.24789/

Could be a viable alternative as well.

Those are both possibilities as is the tppacks 200 and 300 here.
http://tppacks.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=60

Because of my success with the CP, I'd go that way. However, time does not stand still and there are improvements being made in the Alexmos camp. the new gimbal announced in from the infinity camp is interesting in that for an extra $100, you can order encoders for your motors.

Basically, from these 3 choices you have a $650, $850, & $895 choice for the basic gimbal in the BMPC range and on the last 2, up to GH4. Nobody knows what the H3 is going to be, but I'd be it's in the mid to upper teens or more ready to fly.

I think the main point of the first post was $395 for a gimbal for the BMPC of which he has a 810mm MR already with FC unknown.

As to the 4k solution for a s900 & Zen package, I wouldn't go for it just because I know how to break things and there is no support. A replacement gimbal is $2400.

It's a conundrum for sure. Some good products with a short shelf life and little support. Just not a good vibe for many.