Researching a Gimbal for a BMPCC (t810).

Adrock

I'm currently looking for a gimbal to sling a Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera from my t810. I also have a GoPro Hero 3 so I'm in a bit of a quandry. Should I buy a quality GoPro gimbal or cheaper gimbal for the BMPCC? I've noticed most gimbals typically go for $1,000 + so I'm a little skeptical of the cheaper ones like this Ipower or this DYS. I've looked for reviews but I haven't had any luck. Does anyone have any experience with either of these gimbals? At the moment I have around a $350 budget and I'm aware that means I don't have many options

Last edited by a moderator:

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
The BMCC is HEAVY I have one. My Movi M5 works with it, a Gremsy H6 will work, a LOT of the cheap gimbals will not. You need some powerful motors and a GOOD controller board to make it work with this camera. The camera empty is 3.3lbs. Add an SSD and it's 3.55 add a decent Cine lens (14mm) and you are at 4.5 lbs. Most low end gimbals will fail.

Also, the 810 seems kind of small for this set up considering the Cam and Gimbal together would be around 8 - albs... You would need some good motors, but at 810, you would be limited to 15" maybe 16" props? Might be a hard combo to figure out.

Adrock

I guess I thought BMCC and BMPCC was interchangeable. He has this which weighs 355g w/o a lens. Sorry for the confusion.

Old Man

The Black Magic pocket cam with a lens weighs more than a GoPro gimbal can handle. The gimbal would require stronger motors and a wider camera mount. Had the same idea a while back and it didn't work out. Good camera for MR's though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrock

I didn't plan on using the the bmpcc on a GoPro gimbal. I'm trying to figure out if I should buy a nice gimbal for my GoPro or a cheaper gimbal for the bmpcc.

Old Man

So, either a cheap gimbal for a great camera or a good gimbal for a Go Pro. Did I get that right?

Old Man

I've learned I need to retract my recommendation of the Phobotic. Still needs a lot of tweaking I've been told.

Ask those who said "the Phobotic board needs tweaking" to show you better videos with their Alexmos setups ;) I'd also like to hear of anyone with a Phobotic board who went back to Alexmos.
There's no controller that you can purchase today with this level of performance or tuning ability. There's no other controller out there where autotune really works. How well your overall system works depends on your mechanics and setup.
There's no controller or any other product in the multirotor world where you have the Phobotic level of support, as the information we extract from boards and "send home" for diagnostics exceeds anything else out there - and we use it to help our customers.

(Of course I am the founder of Phobotic)

econfly

The best option out there for a BMPCC is probably DJI's Zenmuse. I have one. It delivers great results.

Right now I'm in the market for an adjustable gimbal for cameras in the range of the BMPCC, GH4, the new BlackMagic micro, etc. It's just about impossible to find anything. The M5 is overkill and heavy to fly. The new Gremsy H6 is much lighter and may be the solution I'm looking for but it's not out just yet.

There are innumerable junky gimbals out there, and I have no interest in trying to find the least junky one that may work if I fiddle with things enough. This market is just crying out for a high-end easily adjustable gimbal that works. I'm willing to believe the CP is much better than the Alexmos alternatives, but that's not saying much.

Bottom line: Give me something that has the quality and ease of use of the M5, comparably nice software, a couple of pounds lighter, reliable results, and some promise of at least decent service. Make it flyable under, say, a DJI S1000 or comparably sized rig, with capacity of around 3.5 pounds, and deliver it for under $5K. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Problem is, it doesn't exist. Maybe the Gremsy H6 is it. Not clear yet.

hjls3

Ask those who said "the Phobotic board needs tweaking" to show you better videos with their Alexmos setups ;) I'd also like to hear of anyone with a Phobotic board who went back to Alexmos.
There's no controller that you can purchase today with this level of performance or tuning ability. There's no other controller out there where autotune really works. How well your overall system works depends on your mechanics and setup.
There's no controller or any other product in the multirotor world where you have the Phobotic level of support, as the information we extract from boards and "send home" for diagnostics exceeds anything else out there - and we use it to help our customers.

(Of course I am the founder of Phobotic)

Samur - I will jump in here - I have a Phobotic - and yes it works well, when it works for me. in fact, it works great - however I could not deal with the finicky nature of the board - while I do appreciate the forums and the excellent service I received dealing with my issues - it just wasnt consistent performer for me - so now it sits here. I went back to a couple Zens and Movi M5 - why - because they just work all the time for me and I don't need to constantly tune them.

Now to the original post - I too find the BMPCC and Zenmuse a really good combo -

I don't know what exactly were the nature of your problems (not dismissing them in any way), but electronics don't need to be retuned unless the mechanics change in any way. And this is our main problem today: no availability of high end, consistent mechanics to go with our controller.

Old Man

There are innumerable junky gimbals out there, and I have no interest in trying to find the least junky one that may work if I fiddle with things enough. This market is just crying out for a high-end easily adjustable gimbal that works. I'm willing to believe the CP is much better than the Alexmos alternatives, but that's not saying much.

Bottom line: Give me something that has the quality and ease of use of the M5, comparably nice software, a couple of pounds lighter, reliable results, and some promise of at least decent service. Make it flyable under, say, a DJI S1000 or comparably sized rig, with capacity of around 3.5 pounds, and deliver it for under $5K. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Problem is, it doesn't exist. Maybe the Gremsy H6 is it. Not clear yet.

I spoke to a maker of high end optical/payload gimbals for UAV's about this subject and they said, sadly, there just wasn't enough profit potential in the effort to get involved. Their products provide stellar payload stability and clear video for distances out to tens of miles.

econfly

I think this will change, and primarily because we are seeing better cameras in smaller sizes. The GH4 has only been out a year. Just this week the BlackMagic micro was announced, and even the very high end makers are realizing that there is a demand for quality in smaller sizes for aerial work.

It's no longer a choice between a small consumer camera with middling quality and a big professional camera that takes a huge rig to lift. And this will only get better. Hopefully that will create a demand for high quality smaller gimbals.

Problems aside, DJI probably is best positioned to enter this market. If they take their Ronin-M, reduce it to the necessary elements for flying, add the connection to their flight controllers to get the performance they offer in the big Zens, etc., then at least most of the problem is solved. This is what the market really needs -- basically the cost/performance of a Zen with easy adjustability and tuning for different cameras.

Old Man

Production will be limited to Chinese manufacturers simply because of significantly lower labor and material rates, sling with whatever subsidies the Chinese government provides for their businesses. In doing this quality standards will never be, well, quality standards. Luck of the draw is perhaps more accurate.

DJI will likely not make gimbals compatible with other manufacturer's products. Doing so would interfere with their desire to make the market 100% DJI.