Replacing H3-2D with H3-3D on DJI F550

Lobbo

Hi. I have an F550 which was built for me by the supplier. I have bought an H3-3D gimbal and want to replace the H3-2D on board. I have bought a FlatTop adaptor http://www.helipal.com/product_info.php?currency=GBP&products_id=11650 but could really do with some step by step advice. I'm a complete novice solderer but am keen to learn and have never taken the top plate off before so I'm a tad nervous. Where are those YouTube videos when you need them? Hope someone can help.

Tahoe Ed

All you have to do is replace the H3-2D GCU with the H3-3D and plug the unit into the appropriate ports. If you are planning to do a video down link, I would get the DJI FPV hub. No soldering.

Lobbo

Thanks. I already have an AVL58 downlink, fitted by the supplier. The rig was built in November 2013. Will it have the FPV hub already? I haven't looked under the bonnet/hood yet.

farmerfred

Attachments

• 10475509_10152525202103544_4817197398936827312_n.jpg
    10475509_10152525202103544_4817197398936827312_n.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 369

Lobbo

Thanks farmerfred. Yes, I have the same undercarriage so that end of it wasn't worrying me too much. I'm just a little apprehensive about the connections and wiring. All the instructions available refer to first installation and not swapping. Plus, as I said, I'm keen to learn soldering but don't want to make a mistake on something so important.

Tahoe Ed

You will not be able to upgrade the unit if you use the 2D. Fred is on the right track though. The connections on the 2D and the 3D are the same. Just remove the leads and put them in the 3D. It really is not that difficult.

Lobbo

Thanks. I couldn't see how the new 3D GCU could be ignored. Now that people are back at work, I've emailed the company that assembled it to ask for their advice too. I'm not an RC modeller or an electrician - I've come to it from the filming direction. Thanks again.

Lobbo

An update. I chickened out of replacing the GCU and asked my supplier to do it. However, they just updated the firmware on the 2D version. On my first test flight today the gimbal control knob on my transmitter worked the opposite way round and the straight ahead beep sounded when the GoPro was angled downwards at 45 degrees.
Then, after a total of 7 mins flying, downloading the videos and reconnecting the camera the ribbon USB cable tore at the plug end. Another triumph for DJI!

Tahoe Ed

An update. I chickened out of replacing the GCU and asked my supplier to do it. However, they just updated the firmware on the 2D version. On my first test flight today the gimbal control knob on my transmitter worked the opposite way round and the straight ahead beep sounded when the GoPro was angled downwards at 45 degrees.
Then, after a total of 7 mins flying, downloading the videos and reconnecting the camera the ribbon USB cable tore at the plug end. Another triumph for DJI!

DJI has changed the design of the ribbon cable and will be shipping them to dealers and they will be included in current builds.

Lobbo

I've got a spare but didn't expect to need it on day one. I'll be checking with the suppliers on Monday. I ordered it at the start July so I don't know how old the stock is. I think it was only delivered to them a couple of weeks before. I wonder if the new cables will be offered as replacements/upgrades.