Repairing gps...

Hi team.
Me again.
So after a spirited flight I landed hard and messed my naza gps unit up...
Yes yes t take the blame. I want in the air before I had full GPS and though Attu was good enough... I'm still in experienced and lost control and had a wall smack me down.

If I have to drop a hindered buck it's my own fault.

But if I can repair this guy then I would know the craft better and make it more mine...

How can I open the unit and reconnect the torn brown wire?

Thanks guys!
Chris.
jehupere.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
do you have a soldering iron? i've never seen the inside of a DJI GPS puck but I'd guess you could slice it open and reattach that wire from wherever it came off of. don't cut yourself though (sorry, had to say it)

bart

Hey bartman,
It's not the soldering, that's totally fine...
It's cracking the unit open.
It's no Allen key I have, I just keep stripping them so I may have to drill them out.
Does anyone know the right size bit?

tuhebe9a.jpg

Yah, the torx I have seem to strip more than catch...
Anyway, Ill bring it by the HW store today.
Ill post pics of my fix!

Thanks guys!

HexCam

They are sold on eBay for opening mobile phones. You may find that a micro flat head screwdriver will do it as well if they aren't too tight. As JoeBob says, it is a Torx head, but I can't remember what size! Something like this would have it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-In-1-Mo...t-T4-T15-/251224853616?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Had this with a Wookong one a couple of years ago. The wires are just held on with spot solder inside so should take a few seconds to identify the correct position and melt it in. on mine I hot melted the area to stop any strain on the wires.

It goes without saying... test thoroughly before committing it to any serious flight!

Bartman

i think a 1mm allen driver will work as well. if they are the same thing that is used in the Zenmuse GCU case then that's what I used to get them out.

Ok. It's a torx 5 for future reference...

So I opened that guy up and found the ceramic cracked in a number if ways. It the unit trashed? Or is the ceramic some heatsink? Should I not risk flying with it or should it be alright? I'm going outside right now to see if I can catch some signals...
ny6y2egy.jpg

Ugh... If it's not one thing, it's another...

My shaft was sheared off right at the socket (that's right baby).
There's not enough sticking out to grab it.
There's a dab of silicone on the tip to keep it seated.
Anyone have ideas on how to get it out?
a9aqenu8.jpg

Bartman

clamp it to a workbench or put it in a vise and drill it out. it's carbon fiber so make sure you clean up every last bit of dust and don't breathe any of it in. drill as close as you can to the diameter of the holder then just ream out the rest with the drill bit.

Clamp? Workbench? Vise?!? I'm in a tiny apartment in manhattan!

I'll bring it by the local HW store to see what they can do.

I've been going back and forth to them for the past week. I'm sure they are very confused as to what I'm making.

Bartman

..............I'm in a tiny apartment in manhattan!............

So we'll expect to see you at our first area meet-up? maybe in June? I'll have my june schedule by Sunday night, we'll have to see about selecting a weekend and we'll invite the local Drone Users' Group and finally get a bunch of us together.

any old-school hardware store ought to be happy to help you out.

So we'll expect to see you at our first area meet-up? maybe in June? I'll have my june schedule by Sunday night, we'll have to see about selecting a weekend and we'll invite the local Drone Users' Group and finally get a bunch of us together.

any old-school hardware store ought to be happy to help you out.

Yah man... Just let me know!

HexCam

Yup either drill it out or buy a new one from eBay or GoodLuckbuy.

As Bartman says, be very careful with the dust, it's nasty stuff.

Paul7060

Clamp? Workbench? Vise?!? I'm in a tiny apartment in manhattan!

I'll bring it by the local HW store to see what they can do.

I've been going back and forth to them for the past week. I'm sure they are very confused as to what I'm making.

two sided tape and then drill

Ronan

Woah GPS technology from the 80's!...

I haven't seen a GPS antenna like that in a LONG time... scary...

Edit: From the link provided, the replacement part cost $5 from digikey. What a great chap.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd like to report great success!
I managed to save a $180 component with a $5 part.
I would suggest anyone with the same issue going this route first...
muqysage.jpg

su9ymy2u.jpg

huda2u4e.jpg

gu3a2ygy.jpg

uqa9y6uz.jpg