Remzibi OSD

Kilby

Has anyone here tried out the Remzibi OSD? I just got one and will be installing it next week. It features everything I currently need in an OSD at a great price. It has GPS, shows direction & distance home, altitude, battery levels and rate of speed. You can also tie it in with the Audupilot for autonomous flight.

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/remzibi-osd

Malcr001

Has anyone here tried out the Remzibi OSD? I just got one and will be installing it next week. It features everything I currently need in an OSD at a great price. It has GPS, shows direction & distance home, altitude, battery levels and rate of speed. You can also tie it in with the Audupilot for autonomous flight.

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/remzibi-osd

The remzibi OSD is a great lightweight OSD. Only downsides in my opinion is that it suffers from a bad heat issue. If you get one you will need to solder on a larger copper wire to stop it from over heating. If your looking for something thats the same level as the remzibi OSD then I would recommend the ezOSD.

Kilby

The remzibi OSD is a great lightweight OSD. Only downsides in my opinion is that it suffers from a bad heat issue. If you get one you will need to solder on a larger copper wire to stop it from over heating. If your looking for something thats the same level as the remzibi OSD then I would recommend the ezOSD.

Hey Malcr001,

I've actually got 2 of these OSD's at this point. I use one on my FPV sport quad and the other on my AP ship. I haven't had any heat issues, but I'll keep your comment in mind if it springs up in the future.

Just curious, did you find that the heat issues happened when using 4s batteries? To date, I've only been using 3s on all my crafts, but am about to change that after I wrap up my current hexa build.

Thanks!

-Terry

Malcr001

Hey Malcr001,

I've actually got 2 of these OSD's at this point. I use one on my FPV sport quad and the other on my AP ship. I haven't had any heat issues, but I'll keep your comment in mind if it springs up in the future.

Just curious, did you find that the heat issues happened when using 4s batteries? To date, I've only been using 3s on all my crafts, but am about to change that after I wrap up my current hexa build.

Thanks!

-Terry

The heat issue is a pretty well known isssue. Maybe its been fixed in the latest versions. At the time I was running it on 3s.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The heat issue is a pretty well known isssue. Maybe its been fixed in the latest versions. At the time I was running it on 3s.

I have a fairly recent Remzibi I just installed on my quad, works well but I did do the copper wire heat mod before I installed it. I'm running mine on a 1300mAh 3S pack and after landing the first time out I put my finger on the copper wire and it was pretty hot so it does work to fix the problem. Still it is an issue that should be fixed in the hardware and not left up to the end user.

Other than that I think it works well, just the GPS is slow to update some of the data on the screen so next time I'll probably go with something a little better.

Ken

P.S. I wouldn't use 4S to power the Remzibi, it will likely cook it, no more than 3S to power the board. The voltage monitoring can handle 4S no problem, just don't use it to power the Remzibi itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

Hey Ken,

I was referring to 4s voltage monitor.

I'm going to have to really look for this heat issue the next time I go flying. I've been using these for over a year now and never noticed an issue. If I do see the effects, where would I find info on this copper wire mod you mentioned?

-Terry

Malcr001

Hey Ken,

I was referring to 4s voltage monitor.

I'm going to have to really look for this heat issue the next time I go flying. I've been using these for over a year now and never noticed an issue. If I do see the effects, where would I find info on this copper wire mod you mentioned?

-Terry

This wasent where I got the info from but I found relevant info here:

Its a simple mod and shows the chip that gets real hot.

Kilby

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to check this out when I get home today. It's strange though, I've been using 2 of these for well over a year now and never once noticed any type of excessive heat. I wonder if they have been updated in the last 16 months and it's no longer an issue?

You would think that I would notice it if there was an issue since I have to hit the home button at least once per battery.

Thanks!

-Terry

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'd think twice about clicking on that link, it appears the website has been compromised...

Attack.jpg

The heat issue still exists, the board I have is one of the latest versions with 1.79 firmware. You may want to update the firmware on yours if you have to keep hitting the home button, mine automatically set home as soon as the configured minimum # of satellites is found.

Ken

P.S. you can find details on the heat issue here, you'll have to search for it though... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921467

Kilby

I only hit home again to get rid of the "MAXIMUM" message that comes up after a certain number of minutes. Do you know anything about that? It's kinda nice cause it gives me max speed and distance, but it's kind fo a pain at the same time.

-Terry

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I only hit home again to get rid of the "MAXIMUM" message that comes up after a certain number of minutes. Do you know anything about that? It's kinda nice cause it gives me max speed and distance, but it's kind fo a pain at the same time.

-Terry

It's configurable in the firmware, at least in the version I have. It's triggered by the amount of time at 0 mph and is configurable from 0=off to 255 seconds delay before the message is displayed. If you haven't done any firmware updates on yours probably a good idea to put it on the maintenance list. May solve some problems for you, or it may cause some new ones, great thing about software, it can go either way... ;)

Ken

Kilby

Thanks for the info, Ken. I'll have to turn mine off on the AP craft. I do a lot of hovering in one place to get a shot, so it will turn on after only being in the air a few minutes sometimes. The FPV quad is a different story though.

So after reading all about these heat problems I tested both of my machines and can 100% confirm that mine do not show any heat problems at all. I ran 6 batteries through the AP craft this weekend and checked the OSD each time I landed, and no heat. All of my video gear runs on a standalone 3S battery, so I never even disconnected the power to video while swapping out flight batteries. Still no heat. The only thing I can think of is how I wired mine up. I used a common ground for everything. For my video in/out, I only used the positive wire. The ground going to/from the camera comes straight from the 3S. Maybe that made a difference? I'm not sure if that's it, but I can confirm that I have zero heat issue.

Aztech

Hi guys, need some help, I got my rembizi's osd, hooked it up and got it all working then some how I managed to burn out the camera and the osd video input! Later found the yellow wire in the camera had come unstuck and I assume touched the + or -. Now I get the data on screen still inc gps info but no video, looking at the osd R28 and R29 are burnt out :( I was wondering if someone could please tell me the values of these 2 resistors, I might get lucky and just need these 2 replaced but wanna try to fix it before I replace it.

Aztech

well i lashed out and got a immersionrc ezosd for $160aud so ill get to the remzibi later but anyone with a clear heat shrink over the remzibi osd main board should be able to read the value of the r28 and r29 smd resistors

jahatton

Hi All, I'm relatively new to FPV. I have the FPV Remzibi OSD System APM 6M GPS. I got some problems that I can't get past.
First is the Fat Shark CCD Killer Camera600. When I connected it there is no color.
Second I have a Mobius Sport Camera and it works fine but the OSD doesn't work.
Third and most frustrating is that I cannot get it connected to the computer. I have a Turnigy FTDI it connects, I can get a simulated GPS but can't connect to the main program.
Do I need a different USB connector?
Thank you in advance
Jim

Thierry Beau

I have a fairly recent Remzibi I just installed on my quad, works well but I did do the copper wire heat mod before I installed it. I'm running mine on a 1300mAh 3S pack and after landing the first time out I put my finger on the copper wire and it was pretty hot so it does work to fix the problem. Still it is an issue that should be fixed in the hardware and not left up to the end user.

Other than that I think it works well, just the GPS is slow to update some of the data on the screen so next time I'll probably go with something a little better.

Ken

P.S. I wouldn't use 4S to power the Remzibi, it will likely cook it, no more than 3S to power the board. The voltage monitoring can handle 4S no problem, just don't use it to power the Remzibi itself.
Hi, "You are saying The voltage monitor can handle 4S no problem".
I have read so much info on viewing the voltage to escs onto the screen, that I am completly confused, I am lost. How and what to you connect to what to get the ENG voltage on screen ? Is it mandatory to have a "current sensor" to get it ? I vaguly remember having read that a "current sensor" is nbot required ? Any help is more than welcomed. Happy flying - Thierry (BE)