Remote zoom options

Ronan

My clients have asked me to have a new setup for the work needed and i'm not sure which way to approach it.

I need to be able to shoot in HD and have the ability to zoom via my r/c remote (in my case a DEVO-10, but i can always switch to a bigger/better one).

I need around 5x or even 10x zoom, which takes out the m4/3 option with the 3x zoom lens that works via remote. Weight is an issue since I still need relatively long flight time with my Tarot T810, so putting one of those 1.1lb sony camcorder isn't an option.

I have been told about camcorders that have a LANC outlet, but i haven't seen any of those!

Anyone have an idea what i can use, and even a gimbal that would work?

Big thanks!

flitelab

Do you need any specific camera?

We are using a Sony Handicam CX430 with 30X optical zoom which can be controlled remotely.

Ronan

It can be any camera and any gimbal. Weight is a factor though.

I heard of the CX430 but never found one for sale, just how old is it? What kind of gimbal do you use?

When ever i look at that model, i'm told to get the Sony 32GB HDR-PJ540 but i don't know if i can control it remotely.

Last edited by a moderator:

flitelab

I think the CX-430 is discontinued now. I had it mounted on a 2 axis gimbal. It also has the BOSS head so that acts as stabilization as well.

You'll need to do some research as to which support remote zoom but I think most Handicams do. http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/ makes a number of cables to get the remote zoom and video out for various cameras.

Maverick

If you click on the second link in my first reply, you'll see a video embedded on that page... You use the VMC-AVM1 adapter cable, to convert the MULTI connector on the camcorder, to the older LANC connector, on the Sony LANC-CTRL V1.1 The included circuit board has two servo leads, (one for Start/Stop, and the other for Zoom), that plugs into a spare channel/channels on your RC receiver, giving you radio control over the circuit...

BTW, whichever model you go for, make sure it's the NTSC version... Not PAL!

The CX430 has built in hard drive, which will be larger/heavier, if weight is an important factor for you...

The CX730/760 versions have a larger, better sensor, but again are heavier... Check out their specs to see if it's worth the compromise...

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick

Also, don't buy the VMC-AVM1 from that link... Far too expensive!!! It can be bought elsewhere much cheaper - Amazon/eBay etc...

Ronan

Ahh i wasn't sure if their new multiconnector still accepted the LANC one with an adapter! I received confusing information about it.

So basically any NTSC Sony Camcorder with the LANC or multi-connector will work remotely with the appropriate adapter/plug?

Maverick

Ahh i wasn't sure if their new multiconnector still accepted the LANC one with an adapter! I received confusing information about it.

So basically any NTSC Sony Camcorder with the LANC or multi-connector will work remotely with the appropriate adapter/plug?

Yes! The new Sony camcorder with the MULTI port, accepts the VMC-AVM1 adapter. On the other side of this adapter is the female D-connector, which accepts the male D-connector coming from the Sony LANC-CTRL V1.1 circuit board. NOT THE V1.0!!! Different pin!!!

You also have video OUT, giving you LIVE VIEW!

Ronan

Yes! The new Sony camcorder with the MULTI port, accepts the VMC-AVM1 adapter. On the other side of this adapter is the female D-connector, which accepts the male D-connector coming from the Sony LANC-CTRL V1.1 circuit board. NOT THE V1.0!!! Different pin!!!

You also have video OUT, giving you LIVE VIEW!

Great and i can plug that into the mini-iOSD?

Maverick

Great and i can plug that into the mini-iOSD?

Yes, but you'll need to connect your video OUT, from the V1.1 board, to the video IN, on the mini-iOSD. The board comes with this cable included, which has a tiny white molex connector on it. You can either solder the other end of it to the iOSD's video IN cable, or else crimp on suitable 'plug and play' connectors to each end. Or you can use the other included cable, which has a yellow cinch connector on it - but this one is big and bulky...

Ronan

Alright, big thanks! Any idea for a gimbal? I only have experience with the small one's for GoPro or large one for big camera's.