Remote camera Trigger - works with many camera's including RX100 iii :multi port

jhardway

Hey everyone I thought i would share this. (note I only have done this on my RX100 iii - but understanding how a camera trigger system works this will work with many other models).

I have been using my RX100 original for a few years not and as we have seen from other the camera does a real nice job, the problem has always been with two things one is HDMI out to seeing what the camera is looking at, and triggering the shutter for photographs. Recently I upgraded to the RX100 iii with hopes of solving both those problems. Good news it possible and in my search I was able to find a RC trigger system that works with the camera that was, not mechanical.

Looking on Amazon I found a remote hard trigger, the cheapest one, it was like $10, when It arrived I tested it and it worked, so then I was able to take it apart and Identify the wires used for triggering both the focus and shutter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L7O2AGA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if you snip the wire you will find three wires in there, Blue is common, Green is focus, and Red is shutter.

Next was a little harder, there is a RC switch board, called the RCCC 3in1 board, there are only two place in the United State selling them one is Ready MadeRC, and the other getFPV.

attachment.php
$29

The board is pretty robust, it has the ability to do many things, other then shutter control you can also set it up to switch between two video sources, and also control strobes. The hardest part is figuring it out, however at the end of the day it works like advertised.

There is a decent setup manual but one of the things they are not good at is identified from scratch how to set up the board.

If you do look into this board and get it just remember the following

- the rc connection that comes with the board powers it and also it considered ch 1.
- where you put the jumper to program the board, top row of pins are ch 2, and bottom row of pins ch 3.
- In order to trigger the shutter that process take place on ch 3
- when you hook up the camera wires to the board place blue on common, green focus, and red on shutter.

I know there are a lot of people that come across a remote triggering issues from time to time, there are some that can get around the problem with IR but not all cameras have that ability. Just from a few years of frustration and finally getting to a place where I wanted to solve the issue, here we are

I thought I would share it.

Best to all.

Jack

Attachments

• cfbc516dc4f0cd272090f8e34ad0a40f.image.550x550.jpg
    cfbc516dc4f0cd272090f8e34ad0a40f.image.550x550.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 479

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Enybody tried the universal and straigt-forward method of having a solenoid actially pushing the shutter button?