Aeronavics / Droidworx Red Flyer Advice

teecee

Ok, time to open another can 'o worms here. I have been flying for a couple of years and getting work with my S1000 / 5D combo. Just took poscession of an S900 / BMCC setup for folks who want that too. Trouble is directors keep asking if we can fly the Red and I think there is a market there. Yes, there are smaller, lighter cameras but when a director or DOP wants something they just have to get it so... What is the ideal Droidworx / Aeronaviocs setup to fly the Red?

Me, I'm thinking I would like to fly the Ronin gimbal as it can easily adjust to any camera / lens setup but it is so new that perhaps it doesn't work yet.

What motors? ESC's?

X4 or Octo?

I have been down that DIY homebuilt path before and to be honest it ended horribly. I want something rock solid that just works.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Personally I would avoid the Ronin. Not because it isn't a good gimbal, it clearly is a great gimbal but because of its weight. With the recent drop in Movi prices get an M10. 1.5kg v about 4 for the Ronin I think. However, if budget is going to be tight then the Ronin I am guessing will still be an excellent choice. For an airframe I would go with either the standard Skyjib 8 or the X4 (pros and cons to both but either will lift the Red happily) and chuck on the KDE 5215 motors which are so much better than U7s. This will give you loads of lift and plenty of head room should a motor fail. Well, those are my thoughts anyway.

ovdt

If you are not putting too much accessory over Red Epic, even Movi M5 will carry Epic. I use naked Epic with Zeiss distagon lenses on Movi M5 without issues. I place small battery for powering the camera to appropiate place for balancing.

Ronin is too heavy for aerial work. Get M10 or M5 and then be happy :)

If you are looking for KDE 5215XF-435KV motors, I have 8 of them for sale (brand newi un-opened box). See here: http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?21974-FS-8-x-KDE-5215XF-435KV-(Brand-new)

I also setup a octo with 5215XF-435KV with Herkules III ESC, it has enormous amount of power. I use 18" Tiger carbon props. These motors are very reliable and very smooth.

ovdt

Regarding Gstabi H14, here is the thread: http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?17892-gStabiH14-14lbs-6-4kg-gimbal-NAB-2014/

One of the members bought it but he is yet to post any experience on this. I follow the thread about H14 on redusers forum and I heard some guys were complaining about the horizon level on some shots. In terms of specs, it's ver attractive option but they need to adjust their price since M5&M10 is now more attractive with the latest price slash.