Red Epic on Brushless converted Freefly gimbal

divertom80

Just to show peeps that it is possible with the 5208 180T motors and an Alexmos 3 Axis board with 3S battery. This is a handheld system for MultiRotors :)

Last edited by a moderator:

iscorama

And I can't get canon 5D mkIII with 24-70 lens to work on identical setup :D

edit. I can set it up like this, always in horizontal position.. but would love to see that you do some tilt and to see how stabilization works when camera is at some angle...

Stacky

And I can't get canon 5D mkIII with 24-70 lens to work on identical setup :D

edit. I can set it up like this, always in horizontal position.. but would love to see that you do some tilt and to see how stabilization works when camera is at some angle...

This sounds like you dont have it correctly balanced. It has to be balanced so that if you position the camera ta any angle on any axis it simply stays there. You dont want it returning to level without any power applied, thats not balanced. So if you manually tilt the camera it should stay where you put it. Thats balanced.

iscorama

Yap, I'm aware of that.. But I just cant seem to balance tilt axis like that with Canon 5D, it stay in level on horizontal, but it won't stay in place at any other angle (always goes back to horizontal)...
Would love to see someone correct balancing 1,7kg camera on that famoushobby gimbal.
I just saw freefly tutorial on balancing tilt axis and it also seems that Tabb didn't menage to balance the camera so it sit at any position, only horizontal
https://vimeo.com/album/2519626/video/73987812

Stacky

Yap, I'm aware of that.. But I just cant seem to balance tilt axis like that with Canon 5D, it stay in level on horizontal, but it won't stay in place at any other angle (always goes back to horizontal)...
Would love to see someone correct balancing 1,7kg camera on that famoushobby gimbal.
I just saw freefly tutorial on balancing tilt axis and it also seems that Tabb didn't menage to balance the camera so it sit at any position, only horizontal
https://vimeo.com/album/2519626/video/73987812

Thats a pain, hope you get it sorted out. Cheers.

I watched that video and he mentioned getting the vertical balance right. You also need to adjust the up/down adjustments for the camera plate. Once you get the vertical balance done you should have some luck. If you havent tried that already of course. There are 5 balance points to get right including the panning ability.

ghaynes

Iscorama the video you posted is the first step of a two step process for tilt balance. The second video is not posted yet. That is where you do the vertical tilt adjustment. When done with all axis the camera should stay in any tilt/roll/pan location without moving with no power.

ghaynes

SMP can you imagine a large camera on the RCTimer one and the force being placed on the pan gimbal when the handlebars are tilted? Wow....

iscorama

Thats a pain, hope you get it sorted out. Cheers.

I watched that video and he mentioned getting the vertical balance right. You also need to adjust the up/down adjustments for the camera plate. Once you get the vertical balance done you should have some luck. If you havent tried that already of course. There are 5 balance points to get right includiing the panning ability.

Iscorama the video you posted is the first step of a two step process for tilt balance. The second video is not posted yet. That is where you do the vertical tilt adjustment. When done with all axis the camera should stay in any tilt/roll/pan location without moving with no power.

Thanks for the reply guys, I didn't do vertical tilt adjustment at all.. I will try it tommorow

divertom80

Wowser sorry did not see people replying via email notification anyway the problem with the standard freefly gimbal is you cant properly balance the pitch unless you lucky. Reason is that the extension going from pitch axis to pitch bar is not adjustable. You will need to replace this with third party parts to get it adjustable. Then and only then will you get pitch working and balanced. Make sure the roll is also perfect, so when you manually push the roll down it stays in the postion no matter the degree. For it to roll back to level is not balanced.