Really impressed by WooKong and Z15

olof

Osprey
Wow, I just made my maiden flight with the new S800 and Z15 with DJI 5.8ghz video link and iOSD (not markII), but i will down load the upgrade as soon as it is available.

It took about 8 hrs to put it all together and program 2 Futaba T8FG supers to control the ship and Zenmuse.

I have a F450 and an F550 with Naza and they work great, I have had my dealer replace a Naza once, it went bonkers on me and caused a hard landing w/o any damage, I wrote about that in a different thread.

I was a bit apprehensive after reading about the problems users have with the WKM on this and other boards.

But I charged up a couple 6000's and decided what the heck, the wind was about 3-5 gusting maybe 15, I am in the mountains, the temp was a balmy 15F.

I had some problems with the IOSD right off the bat, scrambled pic and flaky telemetry display, but the cold is probably the reason. So I tried a hover at 10' in my confined driveway, lots of trees and gusty wind. I took off in ATTI mode after swinging the compass and checking that everything seemed to work Z15 included.

It took off perfectly drifted maybe 3' left before I caught the gust and stabilized at about 10', my trim seems fine I use settings recommended by my dealer:

130 130 140 160

120 120

A little sluggish but smooth, Ok so I tried GPS, perfect 2-3 lateral drift maybe 3" vertical in gusty wind. My Naza's are about like this as well.

So I tried home lock perfect as well. I climbed a 100' or so very smooth the Z15 was making the video look very smooth even though the 800 was tossed by the gusts. Descending I did notice some vibration once I looked at the video closely, but that is to be expected IMHO.

My only problem is with the somewhat flaky iOSD, but I think the temperature had something to do with this. We checked it inside later and it was working fine. I read somewhere that others are seeing temp related problems with V1, and that new FW is coming out to upgrade to MKII that hopefully will fix this glitch. I also have a problem that new FW will fix, some of the Telemetry info is cut off L&R on my monitor, this is also supposed to be fixed with the new assistant SW not yet available.

So all and all a very successful maiden flight. It feels really stable and possible a little sluggish (this is probably because of the low trim settings, I will play more with them), but low trim setting = smooth flying for me at least.

The most impressive part is the Zenmuse/NEX5n, wow super smooth and very controllable. The video downlink worked well also, but as I said the iOSD needs work. Bleeding Edge I suppose...

Now if the wind drops off at sunset I will go back out for a sunset flight. But I hear it roaring around the house now at 20-30mph. More to come...

hjls3

that is great. you got any pics of your setup. i would be interested in your ground station. i have recently ordered the same setup. thinking i might mount a small monitor on the radio, not sure. i am a 1 person setup though, sounds like you are 2 person.

olof

Osprey
Here is a quick video from the first flight. I did not bother trying to set the camera up well. It was just in manual 1080 60P.

And some quick photos from my iPad:

View attachment 9223View attachment 9224View attachment 9225View attachment 9226View attachment 9227View attachment 9228

The monitor is a very good 9" Pro NTSC HD-SDI monitor from Ican (overkill, but I have it and several Marshalls as well, I have a video production company) it is on a light stand and is powered by an IDX battery (12-16.8v This is a pro video battery like AB) I have an inline regulator to keep steady 12.1v to the receiver.

I plan to make a harness for myself for single person setup. As well as a small bracket on the light stand to hold the Zenmuse RX for single person shooting. This actually works quite well in slow planned shot.

My website for aerial video is:
http://iflycamera.com

Attachments

• s8001.jpg
    s8001.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 391
  • s8002.jpg
    s8002.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 370
  • s8003.jpg
    s8003.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 384
  • s8004.jpg
    s8004.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 468
  • s8005.jpg
    s8005.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 387
  • s8006.jpg
    s8006.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 340
Last edited by a moderator:

hjls3

good stuff olaf. i have seen your other vids from 450/550. they are super impressive, cant wait to see what your results with the mighty z15.

Thanks for sharing...... tremendous work with excellent equipment. BTW - I just discovered today when testing DJI Ground Control Station with datalink 900Mhz that it uses Can-bus only which entirely frees up the alternate s.bus......which seems to suggest..... no s.bus conflict between WKM and Zenmuse!!!! sorry for the late news on that. Comes complete with photogrammetry functionality as well as search and rescue grid waypoints, etc., etc.

In any case the Futaba T8FG's are exceptionally great choice as well.

THat's a big animal you've got there olof. I plan to get all that stuff as soon as the divorce settlement comes thru'.:highly_amused:
Andy
P.S Lovely 'steady footage' just shows what's possible from 'stock' stuff that wasn't around 10 years ago?