RC Timer Legacy Gimbal (for DSRL larger DSRL)

jhardway

I will start, to date I have been pretty skeptical on the stuff I buy from RCTimer just in general, it being China, Shipping, if you have a problem getting it taking care of, cheaper cost, etc...

A few months ago I purchased thier NEX gimbal and knowing all i listed above I was worried about it some. I did like the design, when I got it and assembled it, I was pleasantly surprised, right out the box with electronics I was able have brushless gimbal that work well. With that experienced I took another shot with ordering thier legacy gimbal.

I oreded it on a Wednesday and it was at my door on Monday, that was just normal shipping, Its taking some time to figure it out, with no real instruction however I am pleased to say, it seems to be doing what it is suppose to. I did not order the aerial version mainly because I wanted it for the regular video work I do, however with that said I can see if I needed to I could most likely mount it to my helicopter.

In that scanerio there would be some figuring out needed to take place, one, the mount hangs pretty deep under the helicopter, I feel though I could solve that by shortening the down pole. The other problem comes with landing gear, unless you have retractable gear system you will have no way of getting it out of the way, the mounts section that swivels does not allow a way to attach gear that could rotate with it as the camera pans.

If needed I could probably get around it but figuring and attaching a landing gear system.

So far I have mounted two cameras both pretty different from the other, first was my Sony pj710 (1.3lbs / 520g), and the other was my Nikon D800E with my 24-70mm f2.8 lens (4.3 lbs / 1919g). In both cases I have been able to get it to work just fine.

At the end of the day, for gimbal, motors, control boar, and an added monitor my total cost is about $920. Considering the cost of some of the other products of similar nature out there, I can say its been another decent results.

So far the only problem I had with this product was that when it showed up it was missing 3mm screws needed to fit the swivel collar to the motor. I had some hanging around but if I did not have them or figure out what was needed I can say i would have been pretty up set.

If interested I very quickly grabbed some clip and slapped them together, again not a vid I am proud of however it will give you a good idea how it works.

best to all.

Last edited by a moderator: