Radio Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippwash

First I would like to ask if anyone has used the Jeti DS-16 Tx, what are your thoughts about it's use for multirotor drones and does a drone need all the different sensors that are produced for the DS-16? Second, if this can be answered, why is it when a company comes out with a product and offers it to the USA it comes with everything separate. I've noticed that the DS-16 comes with the R9 receiver in just about all other countries but in the US we have to buy it as an accessory, is it greedy US merchants:livid: or does the company not offer it as a package to US customers?:dejection: Thanks.

plingboot

I fly with a DS-16 - best radio i've used.

Manufacturing quality is in a different league to anything i've previously owned. Programming options are hugely flexible too.

You don't need the various telemetry modules, but i fly with the Jeti current sensors on all my multi rotors and also use the vario sensor in a couple of them.

rotorvista

i have the mgps sensor, 2 MUI's and a vario there's nothing going on i don't know about:) being able to move your switches about is also great, you can have any number of 3 position or 2 position switches or however you want it and assign any function to any switch set up. i have a pot on each stick too. atm i have all my flight switches on the left side of the transmitter and all gimbal controls on the right except i have pan on my left stick so i can yaw and adjust the pan with my left fingers at the same time easily. then there's the gyrometer which you can assign functions too but i haven't got that far yet, once you get accustomed to the programming it is very easy to use. it has a cool auto trim function. you can assign any telemetry to be displayed in any order and have any tone or sound for alarms at any pre set level and have them spoken to you at whatever interval you wish, it even tells you the weather and if you are inclined you can play games on it too..... to sum it up it is awesome and worth every penny R9 or not:)

Skippwash

i have the mgps sensor, 2 MUI's and a vario there's nothing going on i don't know about:) being able to move your switches about is also great, you can have any number of 3 position or 2 position switches or however you want it and assign any function to any switch set up. i have a pot on each stick too. atm i have all my flight switches on the left side of the transmitter and all gimbal controls on the right except i have pan on my left stick so i can yaw and adjust the pan with my left fingers at the same time easily. then there's the gyrometer which you can assign functions too but i haven't got that far yet, once you get accustomed to the programming it is very easy to use. it has a cool auto trim function. you can assign any telemetry to be displayed in any order and have any tone or sound for alarms at any pre set level and have them spoken to you at whatever interval you wish, it even tells you the weather and if you are inclined you can play games on it too..... to sum it up it is awesome and worth every penny R9 or not:)
This sounds like the Multirotor radio to have. Have you had a chance to use the R18 receiver or have you heard anyone that has? Thanks.

Skippwash

Other than sensors and telemetry what makes this tx better than Futaba, JR, Spectrum, Graupner etc. How does the freq hopping system stand up against FASSTest by futaba? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

plingboot

Other than sensors and telemetry what makes this tx better than Futaba, JR, Spectrum, Graupner etc. How does the freq hopping system stand up against FASSTest by futaba? Thanks.

It works… what else is there to say?

People have a gut reaction to radio brands and to whether they spend top dollar or not.

The DS-16 is a premium product at a top dollar cost, but it is beautifully made - sothe choice is yours.

You DON'T need the R18 - i have one and it's a huge beast of a thing and unless you have a big MR, you'll be hunting for places to put it. It's sitting unused in my spares case.

I use an RSat2 (using it as a ppm rx) in master mode to control flight functions on my S800 and have an R9 in clone mode for gimbal control.

The 16 channels can be allocated across the two receivers.

On my other MR's i use either an RSat2 (as a ppm rx) or an R9.

Skippwash

To much??

It works… what else is there to say?People have a gut reaction to radio brands and to whether they spend top dollar or not.The DS-16 is a premium product at a top dollar cost, but it is beautifully made - sothe choice is yours.You DON'T need the R18 - i have one and it's a huge beast of a thing and unless you have a big MR, you'll be hunting for places to put it. It's sitting unused in my spares case.I use an RSat2 (using it as a ppm rx) in master mode to control flight functions on my S800 and have an R9 in clone mode for gimbal control.The 16 channels can be allocated across the two receivers. On my other MR's i use either an RSat2 (as a ppm rx) or an R9.

Plingboot, I am going to purchase a Droidworx SkyJib X4Ti-QR frame and equip the rest of the system myself. The reason I am asking all these questions is that I don't want to buy all this equipment and then find I didn't need it all. Here's what I planned to buy;

Droidworx X4Ti-QR Airframe Combo - $3363
Core SkyJib-X4Ti QR
Engine Mounts & Booms SkyJib-X4Ti
SkyJib X4Ti Landing Gear & Extended Retractable Rail Assembly
SkyJib-X4Ti Battery Crash Cage & Lg. Carbon Dome

DJI A2/GPS Multi-Rotor Stabilization System - $1200
Hitec X4+ 4Ch AC-DC Multi Charger - $209
Jeti DS-16 Duplex 2.4Ghz Telemetry Radio Control System - $1485
Jeti Duplex EX R18 or R9 2.4GHz Telemetry Receiver - $160 or $89
Jeti Duplex EX 2.4GHz Rsat-2 Remote Satellite - $49
Maytech Eagle Multi Series 40A ESC w/SimonK (MT40A-SBEC-MK) x8 - $296
Power Hungry System 10-pin (PHS 10) - $285
T-Motor Carbon Prop 14x5 (1450 CW/CCW) 4pr - $256
T-Motor TMN-4014-11 330kv x8 - $776
Xoar PJP-N Beachwood Prop 15x5.5 4pr - $148

I am more of a FPV recreational Flier than a aerial photographer. I do plan on progressing to that point later on. Is my set-up to much or am I missing anything? What is your set-up like? Thanks a million.

plingboot

If your going to go the Jeti route, then don't get the A2 flight controller - it's heavily biased towards futaba/s.bus radios and there are PPM issues with other systems at the moment - Boris has a thread detailing his issues.

Go for the WKM instead.

Personally, i'd not touch maytech esc's.

In fact, if you're doing fpv, then you're mugging yourself with that set-up.

Do yourself a favour, save a shed load of coin and look at a complete set-up from team balck sheep - the disco pro with a naza v2 will be more than enough for your needs and a sight less expensive when you stack it into the deck.

You could have that with a gopro H3 black, goggles and a ground station spend nowhere near what you've listed.

Skippwash

Batteries will be 6S 8500mAh and what's wrong with my charger choice? What wont it do (ianp). Thanks.

Skippwash

Ok, TBS has some interesting products but they only offer one drone!! Not quite what I had in mind but thanks anyway. I want to be able to go from FPV to Aerial DSLR photo on same platform.

Skippwash

If your going to go the Jeti route, then don't get the A2 flight controller - it's heavily biased towards futaba/s.bus radios and there are PPM issues with other systems at the moment - Boris has a thread detailing his issues.

Go for the WKM instead.

Personally, i'd not touch maytech esc's.

In fact, if you're doing fpv, then you're mugging yourself with that set-up.

Do yourself a favour, save a shed load of coin and look at a complete set-up from team balck sheep - the disco pro with a naza v2 will be more than enough for your needs and a sight less expensive when you stack it into the deck.

You could have that with a gopro H3 black, goggles and a ground station spend nowhere near what you've listed.

Which ESC's do you recommend?

Skippwash

i would take plingboots advice if i was you he is talking sense

No argument there, however there are things I want to accomplish and that particular system doesn't fit my needs. I am multirotor new but not multirotor illiterate, I know a few things about the different drones and there capabilities. I have done some homework. Why did you say that my choice in chargers was not sufficient? I don't know everything. Thanks.

plingboot

First off, you need to drop use of the word drone, these are sUAV small unmanned aerial vehicles.

Using something that big for fpv is foolhardy to say the least. If that goes AWOL, you'll have a whole heap of worry on your hands.

Like it or not there's no one-for-all solution. I have an fpv rig, a big aerial rig and a small rig too.

the closest you're going to get to a rig to do everything is a disco pro. Unless you're doing some seriously high end work* you'll be able to get some great stills and movie footage with a hero 3 black. The bl gimbal on there is a well thought out solution.

*if you're shooting for high end work, you'd have the budget to build a big Octo with a suitable dslr bl gimbal and this thread wouldn't exist.

btw if you insist on this kind of rig, do yourself a favour and get a cinestar DIY kit from quadrocopters, they know what they're doing.

Skippwash

First off, you need to drop use of the word drone, these are sUAV small unmanned aerial vehicles.

Using something that big for fpv is foolhardy to say the least. If that goes AWOL, you'll have a whole heap of worry on your hands.

Like it or not there's no one-for-all solution. I have an fpv rig, a big aerial rig and a small rig too.

the closest you're going to get to a rig to do everything is a disco pro. Unless you're doing some seriously high end work* you'll be able to get some great stills and movie footage with a hero 3 black. The bl gimbal on there is a well thought out solution.

*if you're shooting for high end work, you'd have the budget to build a big Octo with a suitable dslr bl gimbal and this thread wouldn't exist.

btw if you insist on this kind of rig, do yourself a favour and get a cinestar DIY kit from quadrocopters, they know what they're doing.

Gotcha on the drone use, my bad! As far as budget, I can get what I want, just not trying to be overly stupid about it. Just cause a person has the money doesn't mean they have to spend it unwisely. These rigs can get extremely expensive, especially if you are not using it to make money. Will check out Cinestar. I will not waste anymore of your time and thank you immensely for the priceless advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.