Quick test flight with the Backmagic Pocket in RAW recording mode.

I thought you might be interested.

I did a quick test flight during difficult light conditions with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera recording RAW.

Footage was converted in Davinci Resolve light to Apple Prores 444, edited in Premiere CC and output to .mp4.

In Davinci I only did a REC709 conversion and some curves. No post sharpening applied.

A DJI s800 EVO airframe with the motor rubber damper upgrade was used with a modified version of the Zenmuse NEX-7 Gimbal.

The quality of the raw footage is amazing. No grain at all and brutal dynamic range.

More footage soon!

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

Can you shoot it two stops over to pull up the blacks and then recover the highlights in post??? (Kinda the trick on the original BM)

Quinton

I would also like to see this footage a couple of stops brighter as it almost looks like night time. Would the mountain with the sun on it be blown out, maybe you could do a comparison?
You still haven't shown us your modifications that you made to fit the Black Magic ;)
You must have a hard time shooting in snow all the time.

I will do some more tests soon when I get my other gimbal.

For these shots I used the older Z15 NEX. You can only get the camera in this gimbal by using a modified Panasonic 7-14mm lens. You need to remove the sunshade of the lens (by cutting it off with a Dremel), then slide the camera in the tray as far back as possible. After that build yourself an L-Shaped part to fix the camera to the top of the gimbal cage.

When you´re done with that get your self an angled HDMI micro to HDMI adapter, a super flexible HDMI cable and a HDMI converter (I use the one from Kopterworx)

Rebalance the whole gimbal to precision! Remove the HDMI cable for the gimbal dance at startup and plug in when the gimbal is ready.

Thats it ;)

Quinton

I will do some more tests soon when I get my other gimbal.

For these shots I used the older Z15 NEX. You can only get the camera in this gimbal by using a modified Panasonic 7-14mm lens. You need to remove the sunshade of the lens (by cutting it off with a Dremel), then slide the camera in the tray as far back as possible. After that build yourself an L-Shaped part to fix the camera to the top of the gimbal cage.

When you´re done with that get your self an angled HDMI micro to HDMI adapter, a super flexible HDMI cable and a HDMI converter (I use the one from Kopterworx)

Rebalance the whole gimbal to precision! Remove the HDMI cable for the gimbal dance at startup and plug in when the gimbal is ready.

Thats it ;)

Thanks for sharing.
I have been playing about with RAW footage from the 5D MK3 and its really opened my eyes of what will happen in the future.
Very time consuming, and you need a LOT of processor power and patience.. but think that will change when the workflow improves later in the future.
Might as well try and get used to it now, as it will be the norm soon I would imagine.

An 8 second clip..the mp4 is 5MB the RAW file is 720MB..Need more storage :)

Last edited by a moderator: