Questions: Phantom 1.1.1 w/ Zenmuse H3-2D

nwAdamR

I’m new to this game, so I wanted to double-check that I’ve got this right. Apologies if I posted in the wrong area (please let me know).

I’ve got the Phantom 1.1.1 with the NAZA-M V2. In order for the Zenmuse to work, I need the upgrade board (that runs about $75 USD), right? Or does the 1.1.1 not need the upgrade board?

No need for a new PMU, or anything else, correct? I think I’ve read the upgrade board takes care of this. (Why do people get a new PMU anyway?)

Anything else, or other wise words of advise or suggestions?

Also, my Phantom has a set of red/gray wires that lead out to one of the exterior holes that seem to have been snipped from the factory... What’s the deal with that? And there was an extra USB cable (small and light gray) that came in the box, but I see no instruction for what it’s for. It looks the same as the USB cable in the Phantom that plugs into the computer.

Thanks a bunch!!

PS. I know this has been answered plenty of times, but I couldn’t find any solid info about the 1.1.1. Again, apologies if I missed this with a search.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
What's a Phantom 1.1.1? Is that your third Phantom 1? :tennis:

Are you sure you've got the NAZA-M V2 and not the NAZA Lite? edit........apparently i was wrong so my reply has been deleted...

I think this is all correct (edit, it wasn't), someone may read it thought and clarify any points I've screwed up (unintentionally, of course :) ).

Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

Bart you are a better moderator than a Phantom support person. However, you do bring up an interesting point. There have been some vendors that are selling Phantom 1's as either v1.1.1 or v1.2.1. Many of them had Naza V1's in them not the V2. The true v1.1.1 have the orange Naza V2.

The Phantom 1.1.1 has the PMU built into the Board. In order to get the H3-2D GCU you will need to add the upgrade Board. People get the PMU because they want to be able to add a can bus hub and then the iOSD mini. You cannot do that with the upgrade Board. Not enough can bus ports. The wire you are seeing is aux power that you can use for a video transmitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

nwAdamR

Great! I appreciate your quick and informative replies. I came to the right place it seems. :encouragement:

I confirmed that my Phantom 1.1.1 has the orange Naza V2. I also read that vendors were sending different versions, so I consider myself lucky.

Thanks again! My plan is to add the upgraded board and install the H3-2D. If I do this, however, will I be limited with possible future upgrades, specifically an FPV setup? Is there a better route I should take at this point?

Tahoe Ed

You can set up a video down link with the set up you describe. That can be ported to a LCD monitor. I use a ReadyMade RC 8" and power the video Rx and the monitor with a 1000mAh 3S lipo. While I do not suggest flying FPV with a stabilized gimbal camera it will allow you to see what the camera is seeing. If you want to do FPV you can mount a dedicated FPV camera. Some guys have done it on the front of the battery door then route the leads to your video Tx. You have a 12v power lead that has been provided for you. Just make sure that you get a 12v camera and vTx. Hope that helps you.

nwAdamR

QUICK UPDATE: I received and installed the upgrade board and the Zenmuse H3-2D yesterday and everything seems to be working perfectly. The lack of instruction or any sort of help from the manufacturer is amazing! Even finding info online was very difficult... I never found one matching solution for my exact situation (Phantom 1.1.1 with the Naza V2 going with the “upgraded board” route). I kept thinking “this can’t be right” since there were so many unneeded parts, including the important-looking Zenmuse GCU. Basically, the left over parts included the Zenmuse GCU, 6 sets of different wires and cables, the pitch lever for the back of the transmitter (was already installed... part of the 1.1.1 deal) and about 10 bags of varying types of screws and bolts. The install would have taken far less time if I knew I’d have so many left over parts.

One other thing that threw me off was the Zenmuse itself. Mine seems to be slightly different than all others I see online. The Phantom mount doesn’t have the hollowed out holes throughout (it’s solid plastic/synthetic), the motors don’t have the orange-looking bands around them and the circuit board (that the GoPro butts-up against) is black and not green. Who knows... any thoughts? (Updated, latest & greatest version?)

Thanks again for the advise, etc. Overall, I’m satisfied. Stoked, actually! Now it’s time to shoot some stable video!

PhantomPhan

Bart you are a better moderator than a Phantom support person. However, you do bring up an interesting point. There have been some vendors that are selling Phantom 1's as either v1.1.1 or v1.2.1. Many of them had Naza V1's in them not the V2. The true v1.1.1 have the orange Naza V2.

The Phantom 1.1.1 has the PMU built into the Board. In order to get the H3-2D GCU you will need to add the upgrade Board. People get the PMU because they want to be able to add a can bus hub and then the iOSD mini. You cannot do that with the upgrade Board. Not enough can bus ports. The wire you are seeing is aux power that you can use for a video transmitter.

Thanks Adam for posting this question. I am in the same boat as you as I have the same setup. Where did you buy the Zenmuse and Upgrade Board? Also what info did you find regarding installation? Can you send me the videos/links?

Thanks Tahoe Ed for the response!

nwAdamR

Thanks Adam for posting this question. I am in the same boat as you as I have the same setup. Where did you buy the Zenmuse and Upgrade Board? Also what info did you find regarding installation? Can you send me the videos/links?

Thanks Tahoe Ed for the response!

Hi PhantomPhan.

I got the Zenmuse and upgrade board locally. I don't really have any links for you... I just poked around as I was doing the install. I pieced together the (crappy) instructions that came with the upgrade board, a video on the DJI site along with some other random YouTube videos and Google image searches for wiring schematics. The Zenmuse does not come with any instructions, so that kinda blows. Like I said above, the install would have taken less time if I knew how many unneeded parts there were (some important looking ones too) with going this route. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Good luck!

Phantom1

Very helpful thread, I have the Phantom 1.1.1 with the Naza V2 and have just installed the upgrade board. Only problem is the 8 pin cable provided in the upgrade kit isn't long enough.

Does anyone know where I can get a longer version in the UK?

Is there anything special about this cable? - Will a generic replacement do the job?

Thanks