colin guinn booted from DJI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have been flying RC airplanes and helicopters for 25 years, and flying in manual mode is not something I do with my Av multi’s. There is no reason for it.
Can I? Yes, so I? no. I did with my Hoverfly Pro’s but i always had a clenched butt, and I have flown $10,000 airplanes for years without that feeling.
Should people learn to fly.. yes, but I do not see a problem using the technology if it’s there.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i hate to say it but for the perfect drift and smoothest video, manual is the way to go. it's freaky if it starts to get away from you but there are switches that can help with that, then it's back to manual. a really relaxed autolevel can almost do the same thing and a few clicks of trim finish it off.

bart

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Dude in atti mode and on the SuperX GPS mode can be super smooth... insanely smooth actually.

jazzboy

OK... I have a few minutes to waste. How many DJI dealers are direct competitors to the professional video and photography companies? I'm guessing over 50%. My guess is that these 'dealers' want a discount on their DJI systems, that same 'dealer' is now selling the same service I'm trying to offer. DJI has a very good product, and a better marketing staff. No doubt DJI has flight controllers that have 'flown away', but how many of us have used a computer operating system that has had bugs/issues... blue screen of death ring a bell? Everyone that uses a technology drive product has been a test driver for that company. Where the rubber-hits-the-road is how many new multirotor owners can fly their aircraft in manual mode? Airline pilots train thousands of hours learning how to fly a commercial airliner in manual mode, so that when the unexpected happens they can react without a crash. Would you travel with a pilot that only knows how to use the Autopilot? BillyO, can you fly your multicopter in manual? I spend a minimum of 10 hours a week at the R/C field training in manual only. I know of one person that is flying in manual only (all the time) because that is the only mode he learned, and he is damn good... I mean extremely good! He has over a 1000+ flights and no crashes, not one. If all you do is fly in Atti or GPS mode you will have a crash at some point, and then you will complain that the flight controller manufacture just cost you hundreds of dollars. Do your homework and learn to fly in manual mode. Buy a small quad, use the Hoverfly Sport flight controller, or similar, and when you can do two forward facing figure eights on a windy day without touching/hitting the ground let me know.

DJI... stop selling to 'resellers' that only want a discount and will not provide support because they are competitors
Would be pilots... learn to fly in manual mode before complaining about your atti or GPS crash
BillyO... who are you?

As a rule you are correct but my crash in manual was a slide that no amount of forward stick would reverse. Marco Robustini (and I think we can all agree that he can fly manual) had exactly the same loss of control and consequent slide and crash of an octo with a Naza (same combo as mine) and is on Youtube. Two of my very experienced flying buddies had the same thing happen in the last two months and that was from Atti! One of them started flying multis years ago cobbling together craft with individual gyros and can fly really, really well. I fly 3D helis and know what manual feels like ;-)

There are many dumb thumb crashes but not all. I am still using a Naza V2 on my mid sized craft but keep a very careful eye on it for strange movements. After recent conversations with DJI I think they are on a better customer service path and I am much more hopeful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Breezemont

All DJI has done is prove the old adage "You can fool some of the people all the time..."
RCG is FULL of horror stories. The Phantom flyaway thread has been holding steady at ~30% for 9 months.
Guinn was just a shill who encouraged all sorts of MR stupidity.

photobobga

I truly believe that without proper (self) training on how to handle the unexpected flight abnormality by recovering using the manual option most wanta-be pilots will experience a crash. I agree with the adage of using the atti or GPS for photography and perhaps video but at some point it will do something unexpected... recovering in manual and being able to fly in that mode will save you money. I would be willing to wager that most airline pilots fly 80% of the time in autopilot, but they are very well trained to handle the unexpected. Bart??
Will DJI grow a pair and finally recognize the professional market? Perhaps, but the money is in volume sales. The Phantom is great for hobby shops, but I would really like to support a dealer willing to support me, and you.

jazzboy

I truly believe that without proper (self) training on how to handle the unexpected flight abnormality by recovering using the manual option most wanta-be pilots will experience a crash. I agree with the adage of using the atti or GPS for photography and perhaps video but at some point it will do something unexpected... recovering in manual and being able to fly in that mode will save you money. I would be willing to wager that most airline pilots fly 80% of the time in autopilot, but they are very well trained to handle the unexpected. Bart??
Will DJI grow a pair and finally recognize the professional market? Perhaps, but the money is in volume sales. The Phantom is great for hobby shops, but I would really like to support a dealer willing to support me, and you.

Flew a bunch of packs today on my test quad with a new PX4 I am testing in ACRO mode and the thing is a blast and flies like a bat out hell, but when a system cacks all those skills are useless. Are you strictly addressing newbs or are you saying all our crashes are do to inexperience? Not really clear what your point is as I am totally comfy flying in any mode but my octo while in manual mode went into a slide and no amount of correction could save it just like Marco's vid.

adanac

This is not exactly on topic but after watching that video, which essentially begins with Colin advising folks to calibrate their compasses, I am left with one thought: Instructions. What has really struck me as I venture (as a beginner) into the DJI world, is how there are no step-by-step instructions. Yes, there are various instructions but there are none presented in an orderly fashion. It's a bit like presenting a recipe with a list of ingredients with little help in how they all go together, and in what order.

I believe that beginning (and possibly even experienced) users would make far fewer errors if there were step-by-step instructions, each with their supporting documentation (wiki, videos, etc.).

jazzboy

This is not exactly on topic but after watching that video, which essentially begins with Colin advising folks to calibrate their compasses, I am left with one thought: Instructions. What has really struck me as I venture (as a beginner) into the DJI world, is how there are no step-by-step instructions. Yes, there are various instructions but there are none presented in an orderly fashion. It's a bit like presenting a recipe with a list of ingredients with little help in how they all go together, and in what order.

I believe that beginning (and possibly even experienced) users would make far fewer errors if there were step-by-step instructions, each with their supporting documentation (wiki, videos, etc.).

My take on multirotors is that starting with an open source machine gets all the basics covered. I found the DJI manual quite good but if I had not gone through all the steps of installing, compiling, tuning and flying Megapirates my opinion might be different.

jazzboy

I've been saying for months the guy is nothing but a ShamWow huckster but now we can add reptilian piece of SH*T. What a weasel, somehow he thinks he built DJI!!! Does he have a trailer to haul around those mendacious balls? How can a judge allow this? Even though DJI has many issues, and believe me I know, they do not deserve this....no company does. He could have worked to resolved many of the customer support issues but instead focused on bullsh*t stunts. I don't think he knows who he picked a battle with and good luck getting hired elsewhere. Unbelievable!

Andy

adanac

There appear to be people here who have privileged information about his deal with DJI.

I've been saying for months the guy is nothing but a ShamWow huckster but now we can add reptilian piece of SH*T. What a weasel, somehow he thinks he built DJI!!! Does he have a trailer to haul around those mendacious balls? How can a judge allow this? Even though DJI has many issues, and believe me I know, they do not deserve this....no company does. He could have worked to resolved many of the customer support issues but instead focused on bullsh*t stunts. I don't think he knows who he picked a battle with and good luck getting hired elsewhere. Unbelievable!

Andy

MrTommy

There appear to be people here who have privileged information about his deal with DJI.

I would agree. I'm thinking if we simply "stay tuned" for the days (and weeks?) to come, we'll find out more and more info about this. Sure is interesting, nevertheless. I just hope this dealership stuff gets cleaned up - quickly.

jazzboy

Here is the master. Look familiar? He has a good looking "crib" as well.

Everyone has an opinion and thousands are still buying DJI products regardless of their poor customer relations.
So why are people continuing to buy? The news about customer relations has been out there for years.
regards - bruce

When ever I buy a Chinese product I know I am a Beta tester and, while at first I expected some support, I now am accostomed to going it on my own.
It's the way it is.
I have 4 V1 Naza's which all perform well and I have no complaints.
I have written and asked questions of Chinese suppliers but soon realized my best information was going to come from these forums and youtube.
As I progress in the hobby I may more to better flight controllers but for now I am happy as a clam.

Status
Not open for further replies.