Questions for Y6 Build *HELP*

PCMAerial

Putting together a Y6. I've built a few multi's but this is my first coaxial setup. After countless looking and researching for the correct motors I have made a choice and wanted to see if anyone had any input. I tried to research everything, but figured someone with real world experience may know. Got the proper frame, flight control, ESC's. Ready for Motor/Props and batteries. Ideally I will use Two 4s 5000mAh LiPo's ran in parallel, and would like to achieve at least 15min flight time hauling my camera & gimbal.

My Y6 is ~ 2.8kg AUW. I have selected the RC Tiger Motor MT2814-770kv to run with 11" CF Props. If my math is correct I have roughly 3.7kg of thrust at 50% throttle on these motors, which would be more than enough correct? NOW, I might be incorrect, but I assume that is what the math came out to when looking on the Tmotor website.

EDIT: I found the Tiger Motor MT2814-19 400kv to be much more efficient, cooler, and better motor. I can get it for the same price as the MT2814-770kv. Does anyone know if the 400kv will run on parallel 4s batteries?

eCalc shows my results but I am not clear as to if this is for just one battery or two. If I calculate the motor's thrust at 50% throttle I "believe" I am well in capacity for this setup if I run parallel. I have attached my ecalc sheet because many of you probably can read it better than I can. Thanks for any help

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-11-15 at 7.15.46 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-11-15 at 7.15.46 PM.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete
I can't read the thumbnail on my laptop... it's too small!

I have a very similar machine to you, I run 12x6 APC clone props with 5000/10000mA 4S packs and I'm at 50% throttle with two packs.

Pete

PCMAerial

I can't read the thumbnail on my laptop... it's too small!

I have a very similar machine to you, I run 12x6 APC clone props with 5000/10000mA 4S packs and I'm at 50% throttle with two packs.

Pete

Hmm for some reason every time I upload the image is tiny. Even at 2000x2000 let me see if I can upload on another computer. In the meantime, what motors are you running on your rig? Thanks for chiming in!

PCMAerial

Sunnysky 2814/11 700Kv with 12x6 APC narrow-blade clones

The build blog of the original design is here... http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...s-diy-Y6-quot-build-thread!-800mm-motor-motor

It's been rebuilt since then with 1.5mm carbon sheet and carbon u/c.

attachment.php

Pete

Sick build! Love the custom work. Those SunnySky motors seem to hold the weight very well. I was looking at the spec sheet, a bit more thrust than the Tmotor 770kv I am thinking of purchasing. If I calculate each motor at 50% it appears that I would have more than enough power to hold the weight of my copter. But I've always been keen to a lower kv motor to reduce wear on the motor, and allows room for expansion in the future.

I have been looking at the Tmotor MT2814-19 400kv. But the spec sheet only shows the values on a 6s battery. Does anyone know if this motor would run parallel 4s lipo's? Definitely a WAY more efficient motor than the 770kv. I can get them both for the same price, and it shows "Num of cells 4-8s" Does this mean it would be compatible with 4s? I just don't want to have too slow of a motor to not have enough rpm. Need to pull the plug this week. Hmmmmm decisions

Thanks for the info!

Efliernz

Pete
If you are running only 4S, the prop speed will most likely be too slow on a 400Kv motor. You will probably have to increase prop size to 15" and you may have control issues in wind (with the inability of a slow-running motor to change speed fast enough to correct the copter).
I'm not saying it won't work... but there are further considerations than just efficiency.

If efficiency is the main goal, the Y6 is not your best machine with approx 15% loss due to the coaxial design. I love the way mine flies and it has replaced my Droidworks VM6 as my primary machine. I'm just sorting the handycam gimbal now...

Cheers

Pete

PCMAerial

If you are running only 4S, the prop speed will most likely be too slow on a 400Kv motor. You will probably have to increase prop size to 15" and you may have control issues in wind (with the inability of a slow-running motor to change speed fast enough to correct the copter).
I'm not saying it won't work... but there are further considerations than just efficiency.

If efficiency is the main goal, the Y6 is not your best machine with approx 15% loss due to the coaxial design. I love the way mine flies and it has replaced my Droidworks VM6 as my primary machine. I'm just sorting the handycam gimbal now...

Cheers

Pete

Thanks for the valuable information. I guess I should say I'm looking for the most efficiency from those motor choices for my Y6. Definitely will lose a small bit of efficiency with the coaxial setup, but that is okay. I plan to have something capable to still fly the 12+ min range even after the 10-15% loss. If possible!

So right now after reading your info with the prop/rpm speed, I believe that the 770kv motors will suffice. I think the only reason I haven't clicked "BUY" yet is to make sure the motor speed is correct. The thought of a lower rpm motor with less wear & tear is ideal. But at the end of the day I just want something that will perform and not take tons of tinkering. I've built quads, hex, octo, went the Phantom route. And with living on the coast I deal with wind ALOT. Coaxial was what I stumbled upon, I just don't want to rip the motors out in a month because they perform under par. Thanks so much for your input!

Efliernz

Pete
Good luck!!!

I will say that I fly mine with 1x5000 battery for 8 minutes, 2x5000 for 12+ :) I carry the Gopro/quarternium gimbal on top - or the diy Panny LX3 underneath, usually with one pack unless I need +10 minutes. 770 will work... but i found 700 with 12" props MY sweet-spot.

Pete

SamaraMedia

Good luck!!!

I will say that I fly mine with 1x5000 battery for 8 minutes, 2x5000 for 12+ :) I carry the Gopro/quarternium gimbal on top - or the diy Panny LX3 underneath, usually with one pack unless I need +10 minutes. 770 will work... but i found 700 with 12" props MY sweet-spot.

Pete

Pete, is that gimbal with the LX3 your own design? I have a new LX100 and searching for a gimbal to mount under my hex, building my own at this point but always searching for an alternative. May try a Y6 build this winter as well

Efliernz

Pete
Yup... my plywood diy gimbal with 360-deg mod'd servos and one of the few almost-ok Photohigher RSGS Skyline controllers in the world ;) Great for photos but not smooth enough for video.

I'm working on a brushless gimbal for my Panasonic handycam. I've been looking at the LX100 but the lens flare is putting me off at the moment. I used to have a Sony RX100 i which rocked... until I smeared it on the road lol.

View attachment 21527View attachment 21528

Attachments

• IMG_5529.jpg
    IMG_5529.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_5533.jpg
    IMG_5533.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 357