Quanum 2.4Ghz Telemetry System parallel system...

homer911

I was wondering if anyone was using this system with 2 batteries in parallel?

I am using it at the moment with just one battery but I would like to be able to receive the volts/amps of both my batteries at the same time.

I unterstand that I could hook both batteries to a loom and stick the volt/amp meter downstream of it before it enters the power distributions system but this would just give me an average between both batteries. Plus still no separate volts/amps per battery.

The separate volts/amp may not be overly important but I would still like to know each cell voltage.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Hi homer, in this battery instructional video part 3 at about the 16 minute mark he test flies using the Quanum, I understand it is safe to use with a 2.4Ghz radio system. I bought one myself but have not used it yet. It is good to know what each individual cell is doing.
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...art-3&highlight=Multirotors+Battery+Tips+Part
Regards - bruce
PS what about using two quanums one for each battery.

Last edited by a moderator:

vislaw

Hi homer, in this battery instructional video part 3 at about the 16 minute mark he test flies using the Quanum, I understand it is safe to use with a 2.4Ghz radio system. I bought one myself but have not used it yet. It is good to know what each individual cell is doing.
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...art-3&highlight=Multirotors+Battery+Tips+Part
Regards - bruce
PS what about using two quanums one for each battery.
I have a couple of these useful little monitors and have flown two of them with two batteries in parallel but then asked myself, "WTF? Do you really need to monitor all those cells when you are getting the total system voltage anyway?" I decided, no, it was overkill and I'm content to use one Quanum when I fly two batteries. In truth, at this point I actually rely on my timer and the Quanum is a backup just to make sure there isn't an unexpected voltage problem.

homer911

I have a couple of these useful little monitors and have flown two of them with two batteries in parallel but then asked myself, "WTF? Do you really need to monitor all those cells when you are getting the total system voltage anyway?" I decided, no, it was overkill and I'm content to use one Quanum when I fly two batteries. In truth, at this point I actually rely on my timer and the Quanum is a backup just to make sure there isn't an unexpected voltage problem.

vislaw - I was thinking the same thing. Do you parallel both the batteries anf the balance plugs? Theortically, you should get an average between both, right?

vislaw

vislaw - I was thinking the same thing. Do you parallel both the batteries anf the balance plugs? Theortically, you should get an average between both, right?

The balance plug is actually just wired in series with a tap into each cell. Thus, there is no need to wire the balance plugs if you have the main power leads in parallel. Just hook one balance plug to the Quanum transmitter it will send the voltage of the individual cells on that battery but the total system voltage is the average of all cells.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer

I agree. People have argued that pack voltage will not tell you if you have an individual cell failing which will take down the entire pack quickly. And it's true. If you're on 4S, and one cell dumps really early, you're going to be in big trouble. The voltage drops hard and even if you have LVC turned off in your ESC's, you're still going to have trouble maintaining power.

However, if you have 2 or more batteries in parallel, it offers considerable protection again this. The strong battery will end up supplying most of the power, taking the load off the weak battery. The voltage drop off will be quite a bit softer, and you should be able to recognize that something is wrong and land safely before you have a serious problem.

Vojec

I using 2 batt in parallel and monitor just one battery through quanum, the other one meets at the end of quanum, why? Safety reason. What if quanum (part attached on muliticopter) stop working or you put amp above 100amp in some weird scenarios and you, with both batteries plug into quanum left with no power... your bird will land hard really hard... in the other hand with batteries that is plugin directly into power board could save your bird alive.. if you use 2 batt from beginning and monitor cells after flight it is no way to worry.

using 4 Quanum 2.4GHz Telemetry System at once on same rig

Someone must have this set-up?

i bought 4 of these last week and hooking them all up to one quad x8 with 4 lip's only one works so they must all be on the same frequency am asking hobby king how to get them working all at same time
if anyone has solved this i would be very glad to know how
thanks everyone

quanum 4 at once

i bought 4 of these last week and hooking them all up to one quad x8 with 4 lip's only one works so they must all be on the same frequency am asking hobby king how to get them working all at same time
if anyone has solved this i would be very glad to know how
thanks everyone

Just thought i would add why i need 4 at once

on my x8 i use 4 lipo's connected to a droidworx power distribution board all soldered individually to the board but some flights result in a one lipo giving a used % a lot lower than the others
so this could be disastrous if i only rely on my timer for my flight time