Quadrotor with Honkable Horn

Luke Bro

Hey All,

I've been thinking about installing a small electric honkable horn on my F450 to scare birds. Currently I have a horn wired directly to the power so it just constantly rings until it is unplugged. I'd like to use a 2-way switch on my DX8 to turn it off/on. I have AUX1 and AUX2 available on my AR8000 (camera switcher in AUX3). What will I need to do something like this?

Thanks

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
pololu.com has switches that can be actuated via a servo channel. see if there is one rated for the electrical load the horn will demand and go for it!

Luke Bro

It is to start out with but after a while they get used to it and will fly up when it goes by and back down when it goes away. To scare ducks you have to constantly change the scare tactic. Any ideas on the wiring setup?

Bartman

run power for the horn through the switch on the positive side, plug the switch into your receiver, honk horn. :0)

Bartman

https://www.pololu.com/product/2804

good for up to 10A, i believe you'd wire it up using the COM(ground) and NO(normally open) contacts so that the relay will close the circuit when you flip the switch on your radio

0J4777.1200.jpg

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
I saw on the Swedish news a few months ago that some sapmi people have started to herd reindeers with multirotors. They used a siren, not a horn.

Luke Bro

They make a spray for that.
I think they call it "Buckshot"
Don't get any on your quad

vinito- I have to scare them off several times a day at three different locations so buckshot would get pretty expensive quick.

I was thinking about hanging a lightweight scarecrow from the bottom to add mass to my F450. It might work better than the horn. I'll report my findings tomorrow.

DerekJ

Hey All,

I've been thinking about installing a small electric honkable horn on my F450 to scare birds. Currently I have a horn wired directly to the power so it just constantly rings until it is unplugged. I'd like to use a 2-way switch on my DX8 to turn it off/on. I have AUX1 and AUX2 available on my AR8000 (camera switcher in AUX3). What will I need to do something like this?

Thanks

Turnigy has a receiver controlled switch that should suit your purposes. I use one for the flood and rear lights on my quad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke Bro

Uuuuuh...got a little mud on my quad today. All motors quit right after take off and it dropped like a rock. Not sure what happened. Maybe loose connection. The scarecrow did work for about 3 sec.

I meant siren when I said horn. I still would like to try it.

Long night of cleaning ahead of me.