Quadcopter Disaster - A warning - Cell Phone Towers

Spyderarm

Spyderarm
Wanted to post a warning, maybe get a little advice - I was flying my FPV quadcopter over a cell phone tower by accident the other day, completely lost video signal, went into Failsafe, scary stuff for me.

I've got a short video of it posted here as a caution to others. Could use any thoughts about what exactly happened. Thanks for any info. Here's the 3 min video:

CELL PHONE TOWER LOST SIGNAL - http://youtu.be/JNtNhDf5Xuo

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
yes stay away from towers! especially if you are running 900mhz. you can look up towers and their operating frequencies online (I forget where) and make sure you arent flying near one before taking things to the field

Spyderarm

Spyderarm
Thanks for the very good advice. I re-did my video connections and taped them down for more security and haven't had the same problem again.

soler

Thanks for the very good advice. I re-did my video connections and taped them down for more security and haven't had the same problem again.

Do you think this was caused by the interference from the tower of from a bad connection? From the video it is strange that you had video feed for most of the time that you fly round the water tank with little or no interference and then once it starts it stays for most of the time until you land. Either the tower was off during the start of your flight or there is a loose connection is your system.

mitmit

+1. it was definitely your fpv stuff failure. check all connections and your tx for overheating.

Dewster

Many cell towers are disguised as trees. You really have to be careful. It didn't look like you lost control of your craft, just the video. Those are moments that you are glad when fail safe works.