quadcopter advice needed

vortex000111

hi, I need some help deciding which of two quadcopters I should buy as my first multicopter (I have flow RC planes before). my choices are the ar Drone 2.0 (when it comes out) or the Dji naza f450 setup with fatshark video equipment to get live FPV video. The ar drone is $299 where the f450 setup is $850. I am am undecided as it is and would like to hear your opinions on the two options.
thanks.

My opinion is spent the money upfront and get the DJI kit or something similar. The drone is nice and all but you will get bored after 10 minutes of flight time.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
agreed, ardrone = crap expensive painted in a corner crap.
and maybe you can go 50ft away with it.

"Painted-in-a-corner" crap? where did you get that saying from?? :) Not saying the AR Drone isn't but it's an interesting way to put it!
BTW, I saw in another thread that you're volunteering to get an East Coast fly-in organized. I'm looking forward to it! :)

mailman35

im not volunteering for anything :p kilby has been wanting to start it :p
and i made it up because from a tech POV you are painted in to an expensive ardrone corner, as nothing you have that you buy for it will transition to anything but an ar drone, crap expensive proprietary motors, a finicky flight controller.
the simple fact that a light breeze will f everything up, and then the 10min flight time or hover time.
:p
and if you are going to go down that part buy referb its cheaper. and buy against amex as you get purchase protection should you realise what crap it is :p

KellyR

vortex000111,

I would agree with the others. The AR Drone is a toy for flying around the house & maybe a football field. If you really want to get into FPV I wouldn't bother with it. Hoverthings.com sells the DJI F450. I know they say the frame is nearly indestructible, but I saw a video of a guy breaking an arm from a 5' crash on grass. Hmm...he was not happy. Hoverthings also have the witespy & soon to be released ralphie (God knows where they came up with that name :livid: ). Both are made out of G10 glass fiber. I'm waiting for ralphie. It's a spider frame. The front arms are spread wide to stay out of the picture. Yes, it's more, but beats the heck out of a $10k Cinestar 8. :nevreness: Remember, you get what you pay for! Good luck.

Deltaden

What's with Hoverthings? Their website is very sad. They always show products "Not In Stock". They don't even have an order page or any phone number to contact.

P.S. I now see they have a link to send you to another site that looks just like Hoverthings. What's that all about?

Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

KellyR

Hoverthings is basically Tom & Paul down in Florida. They have "normal" 9-5pm jobs & started the quad business as a second job. An opportunity to do something they enjoy & make a few bucks doing it. They're often out of stock because they're good at what they do & word has spread so much that the demand is outrageous. I too have been waiting for weeks/months for their FPV quad build to come out. From what everybody says they're great guys that do a great job & stand by what they sell. My understanding is that the second site is Paul's. He's the one who does the builds & Tom cuts the frames. Paul had his site before they joined forces & became the dynamic duo. For the most part now they use the Hoverthings website. Why they're now routing people to Tom's old site I'm not sure, but it's basically the same thing.

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
Yes, the DJI arm will break if you crash hard enough, depend on the weight of your ship, the heavier the more damage. But the good side is the DJI arm are pretty cheap and easy to replace. I saw one of our customer F450 went in full speed at a 45degree angle and dig a 4 inches hole in the ground and did 4-5 flip... broke 2 prop and two arm, a motor. But I got to give to it, it's a tuff frame, hardest quad crash I have seen.

www.gothelirc.com , we carry Gaui, DJI, NanoKopter if anyone is interested. :)

Deltaden

Thanks KellyR. That answers my questions. I was expecting some web site from the company that makes the Witespy and sells same. So they are "buying and building" from the supplier for resale. Great for them.