Quad spinning and not getting Air. Video Link inside.

Drewvian

orginally when I was hearing the beeps it was beep beep beep in steady succession, but after trying it several times. I got the correct beeps needed. I will post a video what I have now. Still sorta the same problem, it is moving better, but not getting far off the ground. I think I will still need a program card to make this build work effectively. I will post a video as soon as I can.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Drew have you got into naza assist with it yet? I'm guessing you have, when you did the sticks calibration screen and got all your sticks to turn green did you center your throttle or did you leave it in the down position. Another dumb question for you, the new naza take off deal where it spools up to 50% before takeoff, are you spooling up to 50%?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Drew have you got into naza assist with it yet? I'm guessing you have, when you did the sticks calibration screen and got all your sticks to turn green did you center your throttle or did you leave it in the down position. Another dumb question for you, the new naza take off deal where it spools up to 50% before takeoff, are you spooling up to 50%?

You know, that is an interesting question. I was wondering how he was getting the motors to idle for the long periods of time he had them running for... in the videos he made, that is what I am referring to.

You know, that is an interesting question. I was wondering how he was getting the motors to idle for the long periods of time he had them running for... in the videos he made, that is what I am referring to.
I had been wondering the same thing since the first video, but figured we could focus on the other stuff first... lol

Drewvian

Could you explain what you mean by idle and what time frame it was that you saw this in the clips? I'm not to sure what you guys are referring to =(

Could you explain what you mean by idle and what time frame it was that you saw this in the clips? I'm not to sure what you guys are referring to =(
Naza has this new feature introduced about 2 months ago in which the motors spin at low speeds between 0 and 50% of the throttle stick. In other words, you arm the motors, and if you do nothing, the motors will shut off after 3 seconds. But if you start to give it a little throttle, the motors will not turn off, but stay spinning at the same slow velocity. You can't get any airlift at this speed. This remains this way until your throttle gets to around 50% of your stick travel, then the motors spin up instantly to a takeoff rotational speed (or very near it) so that you get a gentle liftoff. The feature was designed to help people takeoff because there are many takeoff crashes because people gave it throttle too slowly.
In your videos it seems like you were never quite at that takeoff rotational speed, but maybe that's our impression. So tstrike is asking if you are seeing this behavior, and if it is occurring at the 50%ish point of your throttle.

Drewvian

Yes, I do know what you are talking about now. When I first start up my quad the motors are at a lower speed, but then I put my throttle stick to full throttle. I will have to run that test sometime to do as I just got into work and don't remember what I saw yesterday when I went out and tried flying. I will try and put up another video today. Hopefully, I can get some air today. I think I may try and recalibrate the ESC to my TX.

Drewvian

Here is my new video. I've calibrated my ESC. It seems like it is working better, but I am still not able to get air. It just sorta tilts on onside. I've already ordered my ESC program card and it should be here by the end of the week, I hope. I ordered it from hobbyking USA wearhouse. I won't be able to hook this up to a PC for another day because I take the bus home and don't want to carry my copter with me on my way. So, I will have to wait until I can borrow my g/f car to pick up my quad from work. Let me know if you need any questions answered. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOm3pcj0HbY&feature=youtu.be

Here is my new video. I've calibrated my ESC. It seems like it is working better, but I am still not able to get air. It just sorta tilts on onside. I've already ordered my ESC program card and it should be here by the end of the week, I hope. I ordered it from hobbyking USA wearhouse. I won't be able to hook this up to a PC for another day because I take the bus home and don't want to carry my copter with me on my way. So, I will have to wait until I can borrow my g/f car to pick up my quad from work. Let me know if you need any questions answered. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOm3pcj0HbY&feature=youtu.be
Drewvian, I am going to have to defer to some of the other experts, but looking at the video, it sure looks like your four props are not rotating at the same speed. Obviously I know that the camera is just sampling the motors, but you can see that even with the strobing effect that not all motors are spinning at the same speed.

Drewvian

I agree. I hope getting the ESC program card will help with this and maybe it is something that I have overlooked. Worst case scenario I buy new motors and ESC if I must.

Drewvian

I live in Santa Cruz, CA. I met a guy recently at a festival in Capitola. I think I'll send him an email if the esc program card doesn't help.

RobertsUp

I live in Santa Cruz, CA. I met a guy recently at a festival in Capitola. I think I'll send him an email if the esc program card doesn't help.

Drewvian I live in Morgan Hill. Close enough to help. I gave up on trying esc's which need programming. My esc's are optos already flashed with SimonK and they can't be reprogrammed. My quad is fully dialed in and flying like a dream. I still can't believe how well my first build flies. (Now. After rebuilding after pilot caused crashes)

Last edited by a moderator:

tstrike

pendejo grande
Drewvian I live in Morgan Hill. Close enough to help. I gave up on using esc's needing programming. My esc's are optos already flashed with SimonK and they can't be reprogrammed. My quad is fully dialed in and flying like a dream.
another reason this forum is awesome! Good on ya Robert-hopefully Andrew will take you up on the offer.

Drewvian

Forums have been invaluable to me, but damn it I must get this working. Problem is I work and live in Santa Cruz and do not drive. That makes travel a bit hard for me. Hopefully when I get the program card this will work. If not, then I will just buy new ESC and then maybe motors if need be, but I think it is the ESC. Will you be coming to Santa Cruz sometime soon RobertsUp? Could you tell me why you gave up on ESC that needed programming?

Forums have been invaluable to me, but damn it I must get this working. Problem is I work and live in Santa Cruz and do not drive. That makes travel a bit hard for me. Hopefully when I get the program card this will work. If not, then I will just buy new ESC and then maybe motors if need be, but I think it is the ESC. Will you be coming to Santa Cruz sometime soon RobertsUp? Could you tell me why you gave up on ESC that needed programming?
Drewvian, I'll just tell you from my perspective, I'm not as adventurous as some when it comes to building multirotors. My goal is simply to get up flying and do aerial photography, so I stick to proven mix and matches of components that require the less work. So I stuck to Naza and the ESCs that came with the F450 and F550 which, when used together, don't require programming.

Nigel

Hi guys. As you will see this is my first post so I'm probably going to say something stupid. On page 1 this guy says he has 530 KV motors on 10 inch props surely this is never going to produce enough lift to get this thing off the ground or am I missing something?