Props on dji 550

Avenger

Hi guys,

I've built my dji 550 and everything seems to be running OK, my only problem is that I can't get 3 of the dji self tightening props to tighten down they're just spinning round and round and can just be lifted off.

they're not catching onto the thread at all, I've tried putting some pressure on them to force them down onto the thread but no joy at all, any more pressure would be dangerously close to damaging the motors or the arms.

The other 3 props just span down onto the threads under their own weight.

is this a common problem, what's the solution, should I just take them back to the shop or buy new ones.
really frustrated because other than this I think I'm ready to fly

chipwich

Do the new F550s come with self-tightening props? Granted, mine's a couple of years old, but all of its motors and props are standard threads. Anyway, that would explain your problem.

Avenger

Yes they're self tightening, as I said in the opening post three of the six almost fed themselves onto the thread under their own weight but the other three just won't go on even when I put undue pressure on them

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
Self-tightening? Must be new.
The 550 I build 2 months ago had slotted props in the kit with the 2212 motors.

chipwich

Self-tightening? Must be new.
The 550 I build 2 months ago had slotted props in the kit with the 2212 motors.

Yes, that's what I see when I look online, unless it's a combo with the E300 power system. Avenger, are your motors 2212?

Avenger

3 go clockwise, 3 go counter clockwise

Thanks for the reply,

yes I get that, still won't fix onto the motor though, I'm taking it back to the shop where I bought it for some help. With something as vital as the props I'm not taking any chances on having a mid flight failure.

Avenger

Hi,

I've found the problem,

Three of the motors supplied in the kit are the wrong ones in terms of the cw/ccw direction of the thread on which the props are mounted. I took the 550 back to the store where I bought it and they were baffled until one of them noticed that the labels on some of the motors didn't match the attributes of the motor. They swapped them for me without any quibbles and now I have 6 securely fixed rotors.

thanks for the replies and the help