Hoverfly Proper Initial Setup and Configuration

Hi all; I bought a Hoverfly Pro right after it came out and have been using it happily since. I also bought a GPS unit when the pre-order was available. If you have seen a few of my posts on RCGroups you'll know I've not been using the GPS as I've not been pleased with it's consistency. With that said, it's been quite a while since I last gave it a shot (pre 4.x release) so I'm looking to give it a shot again with my Y6. Since lots of people have opinions on how to properly set things up and configure them, I'm posting my plan here and looking for feedback. I figure this might be useful for new HFP users as well. This is my plan, in order:

---Initial Build sans GPS---
1) Build copter, mounting motors and electronics but NOT soldering speed controllers to motor or tying receiver to flight controller.
2) Configure radio as defined in the HFP manual section "4.3.1 Basic Flight Requirement"
3) Flash the HFP with the latest firmware
4) Attach the receiver's throttle channel to the HFP throttle input
5) Follow the directions here: https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/21447258-throttle-range-setup-for-hoverflypro (skip steps 9 and 10 for now)
6) Solder one wire from each speed controller to each motor

---Speed Controllers/Motors---
7) Temporarily attach the other two motor wires to it's speed controller
8) Attach the throttle channel on the receiver to the speed controller
9) Configure the speed controller using the radio to the settings defined in the HFP manual under "4.5.4.1 ESC Configuration"
10) Configure the throttle endpoints on the speed controller using the speed controller manual
11) Use the throttle on the radio to test the motor direction. If it's direction matches the HFP manual section "4.2 Configurations" then permanently solder the motor leads, if it's wrong, flip two leads and solder them.
12) Repeat steps 7 through 11 for each motor/speed controller pair

---Finish Initial Setup---
12) Wire the receiver into the flight controller
13) Wire the speed controllers into the flight controller
14) Connect the HFP camera ports to camera mount servos
15) Calibrate the camera mount via these directions: https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/20955538-camera-mount-compensation-setup-for-hoverflypro
16) Setup auto-level via this guide: https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/21202158-auto-level-setup-for-hoverflypro (skip step 11)
17) Balance props
18) Install props
19) Go fly and set gains as per this section of the HFP manual "5.2.1 Primary and Auto Level Gains"
20) While flying, tune auto-level as the HFP manual "5.7.2.1 How to reduce Drift when using Auto-Level function"

At this point, things should be flying just great with solid AL and silky smooth manual control.

--GPS Setup---
21) Install the GPS board/antenna
22) Flash the GPS with the latest firmware - it must be the same version as used on the HFP
23) Calibrate the compass using the setup client (I assume we can avoid the other two calibrations as they were done previously)
24) Go fly, test position hold, slew, and return to home

The reason for adding the GPS after the copter is already flying is that with my previous GPS problems everyone always wanted to know how it flew without GPS. This way, it will be a fully flying and working copter before GPS is added to the mix.

Anything you pros would suggest to be done differently or in another order? I've built quite a few copters but I usually just wing it and things have generally worked great. But since I've never been happy with the GPS, I'm going to really try and make this work perfectly and miss no steps at all. Thanks much!

-Mike

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
I'd say that's pretty spot on. There is a new compass calibration that doesn't need the computer connected to it. You have to reattach it to the configuration program to verify the compass is correct. I've found the GPS performance is highly correlated to the accuracy of the AL. I've upgraded to .802 and I have to say that the GPS performance is pretty darn good. I'm using a Y6 at about 2.5 KG and and my AL smoothness is set to 30 I think. Maybe 35. It's so much better than previously. I also am using aluminum fasteners and have taken the torrids off the ESC's. Maybe not necessary, but things seem to be a lot better than previously. I'll try to get a video up today or tomorrow, ( a lot of rain on its way ) and let you take a look.

I am by no means a pro though...

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, I followed these steps up to #19. Flies flawlessly (though totally destroys my 3 cell batteries - needs 4 for sure) in manual mode, but is freakishly bad in AL. The gains had to be 15 to stop twitching. I've not had a chance to figure out what's wrong there as it's dark here and I ran out of batteries tonight. It also has a noticeable surge when I STOP yawing - up if one direction, down if the other. Never had that on my X4. Any ideas on that last one?

-Mike

Photronix

Pilot
You have a Yaw imbalance. This is usually caused by motor misalignment. Fly for a minute or two and land. Disarm and feel the motors. If CW are warmer than CCW or visa versa then motors are not straight up and down. It can also happen due to ESCs not being calibrated or a motor spinning in the wrong direction.

It's not too severe so I'd not really dug into it yet, I just noticed it as it wasn't something I'd had happen before. The motors all spin in the right direction and they are calibrated equally, both throttle and the settings. I was very anal about that as it was often suggested to be the main problem with my other copter. I didn't feel any difference in temperature but I also didn't fly long and look at just that. I'll check it out tomorrow. I believe there is room for improvement in getting them aligned vertically too. The anti-vibration mounts are not compressed equally so I'll dig in there and true them up.

One quick question - my camera mount does NOT behave as I'd expect. Using the setup client to adjust the roll is really spotty. The servo is always straining and adjusts in bursts, not smoothly when I move the slider. The camera mount itself is totally smooth (Jakub mount with ball bearings) and had no weight on it. Any idea on that one?

Thanks for the quick response!

-Mike

Hrm, the servos are HS-65MG and there are no external pots on the mount. I'll try driving them through the receiver to see if they behave OK there. As they are brand new, fresh from the package, I'll be pretty irritated if they came bad.

-Mike

Photronix

Pilot
Ok....internal pots are probably fine.

Try adjusting your advance. Also make sure that your scale value is set correctly.

I'm using the Avroto 2814 motors with 12x3.8 rotors on top and 13x4.7 on bottom. The bottom motors are noticeably hotter after even very short flights. Seems like I should put 12x3.8 on the bottom too.

-Mike